U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:28 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,738,465 times

Advertisements

I gave up coffee, which gives me a pretty significant savings. (I used to have a Keurig, and those itty bitty K-cups are expensive!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 05:43 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,713,604 times
I brownbag my own lunch almost daily. Once and while splurge and buy it. Also don't eat out much, like dinner and stuff and
i think the biggest thing is I'm a frugal shopper at the grocery store who buys sales and am current with prices..

Heck, i can cook a great Italian dinner for 5 for under ten bucks..lol

Old 03-31-2014, 05:51 PM

12,632 posts, read 14,642,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I have always made my own iced tea since DH will only drink decaf Luzianne.
Awww, he loves me!

Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,750,692 times
I don't drink iced tea or pop, because I don't like it. And water is free.

I make lots of lentil and bean dishes that are insanely cheap (and really good, plus keep well for lunches) and I also cook a lot of vegetarian Indian dishes, which can also be insanely inexpensive. I'm not vegetarian, just eat lots of vegetarian meals because...I like spicy vegetables. I can make a killer meal out of a couple of potatoes, an onion and some spices.

I grow a fairly compact garden, and freeze lots. I save a ton of money over the winter by using my own tomatoes, peppers, corn, berries and herbs.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:22 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,713,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I don't drink iced tea or pop, because I don't like it. And water is free.

I make lots of lentil and bean dishes that are insanely cheap (and really good, plus keep well for lunches) and I also cook a lot of vegetarian Indian dishes, which can also be insanely inexpensive. I'm not vegetarian, just eat lots of vegetarian meals because...I like spicy vegetables. I can make a killer meal out of a couple of potatoes, an onion and some spices.

I grow a fairly compact garden, and freeze lots. I save a ton of money over the winter by using my own tomatoes, peppers, corn, berries and herbs.
I cook Lentil soup too, and it rocks. Talk about cheap!! LOl

Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 PM

31,225 posts, read 57,405,335 times
I grow tomatoes and peppers and random other veggies and herbs, and preserve them. What I don't grow myself I buy cheap when the produce is in season. I can my own tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsas, jams, mustard, etc.

I have a bread machine and use it regularly - even for pizza crust, rolls, etc. The only bread product I consume frequently but haven't figured out how to make is English muffins. There must be a recipe out there somewhere ...

I make my own iced tea as well, mixing in a little juice if I want a fruity iced tea.

Don't eat out much, especially since I've been unemployed.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:58 PM

5,550 posts, read 4,406,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I grow tomatoes and peppers and random other veggies and herbs, and preserve them. What I don't grow myself I buy cheap when the produce is in season. I can my own tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsas, jams, mustard, etc.

I have a bread machine and use it regularly - even for pizza crust, rolls, etc. The only bread product I consume frequently but haven't figured out how to make is English muffins. There must be a recipe out there somewhere ...

I make my own iced tea as well, mixing in a little juice if I want a fruity iced tea.

Don't eat out much, especially since I've been unemployed.
I have made English muffins and this is the technique I used! It is from the Culinary Institute of America.

They came out great!

English Muffins recipe from the World's Premier Culinary College - YouTube

The list of ingredients are in the comment section.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 PM

17,185 posts, read 22,223,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I gave up coffee, which gives me a pretty significant savings. (I used to have a Keurig, and those itty bitty K-cups are expensive!).

its amazing what we literally pyss away on coffee....

unbelievable,,,we can all say we are struggling financially,,then go grab a 4 dollar coffee...

i got a mcdonalds free coffee this am,,,,,its a national promo..
i got that and an oatmeal for 2.37 -

Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,767,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
They make refillable cups!

Amazon.com: Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter: Kitchen & Dining

I only drink coffee at work, maybe once in a blue moon outside the house... work provides coffee for free.

Definitely cooking at home saves us a lot of money

Old 03-31-2014, 09:19 PM

4,668 posts, read 5,917,073 times
I make my own jam and fruit preserves. I also make sour dough bread, not only for my own family, but I sell extra loaves to friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or