U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:11 AM

5,489 posts, read 4,563,268 times

Advertisements

I make a great many things beyond food items ,given the materials I can make and have made lots of equipment and tools as well as clothing and covers for my bikes and doing construction from the ground up doing demolition to the ground as well.
In manufacturing I made special tools working on the carotid artery stents .
I helped my parents build an air compressor business , my brother has run successfully for many years and is now retiring .
I created many tools for that trade, and took my welding skills to new heights.
Working on boats and making repairs in many different areas , one has to be creative in certain cases, where manufacturers fail to address. working on air compressors I created better controls still in use today.
living off the grid with solar and batteries I could use standard light fixtures and take old burned out incandescent bulbs an restore them for DC lighting.
I've worked on amateur radios and made alterations and a fair number of battery configurations to fit special needs .even done radio repairs in the woods on a search.

I taught my wife and kids to cook and they are the greatest, that coming from their employers.
Right now my challenge is learning gardening which I wish I had gotten into long ago.
I'm doing aquaponics and it's fun .
I don't see in the world how any one can actually be board with life , there is way too much to do, and to learn .
Oh yes, and I might add, I was a C and D student in school and never went to college .
Learning does not take going to school, it takes applying ones self to learning, regardless of school.
I like teas of all sorts but recently I found that a table spoon of tang an a table spoon of honey in Hot water at night is the best for a lot of good reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:34 AM

670 posts, read 762,031 times
Default Re: Food that Saves Money

I love rice and beans. I make the 15 bean (ham beans) from the dried beans and add a little ham. It comes with ham flavoring too. Then put it over rice...so delish, simple, and nutritious!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,822,283 times
We hardly ever go out to eat. Everything homemade.

The only things I don't make from scratch are bread and rolls, canned tomatoes, and pasta. Our elecricity rates are so exhorbitant and my stove is electric. I did do homemade bread years ago, it was pretty good.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:53 AM

11,735 posts, read 16,479,901 times
Home cooking, little junk food but coffee and wine I will not give up.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 AM

15,747 posts, read 11,772,160 times
Bread, pies, pizza, most of the time I cook in bulk, eat it for the next 2 days and also freeze part of it. The good part about being single is that nobody complains about eating the same food for 2-3 days.

Also, when I have something from my garden where I have too much of (avocado's), I take them to work for coworkers. In turn, they bring lemons and other stuff, too.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,822,283 times
Oh-Eve, I love the food trade co-op idea!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:26 PM

30,509 posts, read 9,116,959 times
I agree about the pizza. We love it here, and I make it often. Also, I make soups and freeze them. It's a huge money saver!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:41 PM

182 posts, read 70,579 times
I paint wine glasses or beer mugs for gifts. I can usually give a set of glasses that are personalized or decorated for almost no cost at all. To buy the same thing in the store would be very expensive.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,820,037 times
coffee, tea, salads and dressing, sauces and gravy. Rice and bean dishes. Stir fry. Steaks. pork and beef roasts (I can get roasted chicken cheaply enough at the store, and it tastes better than mine).

There really aren't many foods that are significantly cheaper made at home, most of the stuff I see above isn't much cheaper but is tastier and better because of the lack of chemicals. Even garden veggies are likely to be more expensive if you consider all the costs.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM

17,170 posts, read 22,205,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I have a friend Up North who does this too. They even eat bear. I grew up in the North, so I've had all these meats, but I'm not a big meat eater. Although...I can't resist venison sausage!
have i got a sausage for you!! - been making venison sausage for 30 years, one of my favorites..

and bambi balls- venison meatballs- mmmmmmm

being frugal on many levels- i picked up some reduced fruit cheap today at the grocery store- will eat a few, but also ,,slice and put in my dehydrator ,,overnight for fruit slices...makes for a good snack..

i buy the thanksgiving turkeys they sell below cost,,,, i bought 8 birds,,,49lb
i make turkey pie, turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, pulled turkey ,
and turkey and gravy,,,sometimes i can gnaw on a turkey for a week,,,, like a crow on a deer carcass

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 04-01-2014 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or