Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times

Advertisements

Guacamole seasoning, gives it a zesty (cool ranch) sort of flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 05:07 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,571 times
Here in San Antonio, we like to spice it up with a sprinkle of chile powder seasoning!

Old 04-01-2014, 05:47 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Speaking of zest in popcorn - has anyone tried Quinn microwave popcorn? The corn is organic, there are no preservatives, no artificial ingredients, they use expeller pressed oils high in omega 3's, and all in a compostable bag.

And the flavors are great - Parmesan and Rosemary, Maple and Sea Salt, Butter and Sea Salt, Hickory Smoked Cheddar, Olive Oil and Herbs, Lemon and Sea Salt, and Sea Salt.

We tried them and love them.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:04 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Old Bay wins. Crab seasoning and popcorn at the same time - you can't go wrong.

Too bad I no longer drink beer.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Speaking of zest in popcorn - has anyone tried Quinn microwave popcorn? The corn is organic, there are no preservatives, no artificial ingredients, they use expeller pressed oils high in omega 3's, and all in a compostable bag.

And the flavors are great - Parmesan and Rosemary, Maple and Sea Salt, Butter and Sea Salt, Hickory Smoked Cheddar, Olive Oil and Herbs, Lemon and Sea Salt, and Sea Salt.

Sounds lovely, but expensive!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

Great recommendation, too bad I do not own a microwave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Sounds lovely, but expensive!
Meh, how often do you eat popcorn? It's a small expense if you only eat it every so often.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:58 AM

259 posts, read 522,620 times
Seasoning salt, melted peanut butter, hot sauce, etc....

Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Default Hurricane Popcorn - From Hawaii

OK - you gotta hear from Hawaii on this one. It may be an acquired taste, but to me there's nothing like a big bowl of Hurricane Popcorn:

First you butter the popcorn - best to do this in a brown paper bag and shake'em up good.
Then add Furikake - whatever flavor you like best. That's a mix of nori (the seaweed around sushi), some pepper flakes, some tuna flakes, soy sauce, miso, like that.... You can find it in Asian grocery sections in the stores.
Next you add Mochi Crunch (we call it Arare) - It can even be Wasabi Arare which will make it hotter.

Shake it all good and pour in a bowl and devour it!

You can find all these ingredients in every grocery store and Longs Drug store in Hawaii. Or you can look in the Asian food section at Safeway or in the Asian grocers in your area. Alternatively, you can probably go to this site and order it already packaged up (disclaimer: I don't know this group so I'm not endorsing them for reliability.)

You can also go online and type in Hurricane Popcorn. The Hawaii Popcorn company has a great selection and they were the first to market this though many of us were making this before they started their company. As we say in Hawaii: ONOLICIOUS! (Ono is Hawaiian for GOOOOOOOOD)

Old 04-02-2014, 06:59 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Meh, how often do you eat popcorn? It's a small expense if you only eat it every so often.
I eat popcorn 3-4, sometimes more, times a week. I'd go broke if I used microwaveable popcorn (certainly anything organic, preservative free, compostable, etc.)

I buy a large 2 lb. bag of kernels for a couple bucks and a stack of brown paper lunch sacks for about a buck. I microwave 1/3 c. of kernels in the bag (top folded over a couple times) for 2 minutes. No chemicals, no preservatives, and cheeeeeeap!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 AM

552 posts, read 834,620 times
if i need something fast, I use Colonel Seasons in different flavors since it doesn't add a lot of calories.

But when I'm able to, I use chili powder mixed with salt and pepper, then i sprinkle it on. Gives it a kick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink