U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:48 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,843,441 times

Advertisements

Luvark, I never knew about the leaving butter out thing until I went to Oregon from Miami. It's a Northern thing, at least to me. Up here I leave it out 24/7, but we blow through a stick of butter each week. What you might consider is taking it out in the morning and put in the fridge at night.

The only oils we use are olive, canola is poison. Google it. Frightening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM

508 posts, read 529,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
(Condescending attitude noted)....Yes, I've heard of butter dishes. But I don't know how long butter can stay good sitting out at room temperature. Guess I need to research that.

But another reason to add an oil to the butter spread is to cut down on the saturated fat.
For virtually ever. If it goes bad, there won't be any doubt. If you're THAT worried about it, put out only half a stick at a time. I'm sorry you feel my attitude is "condescending", but this really IS something you shouldn't need to ask about.

Unless you are eating your butter with a spoon, your worries about fat intake of any sort are baseless.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:23 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,186,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
Nufachal cheese, it's like cream cheese only less fat and calories and you can make it savory or with fresh fruit..
The American Neufchâtel cheese is made with milk, American cream cheese is made with milk and cream.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,552,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Luvark, I never knew about the leaving butter out thing until I went to Oregon from Miami. It's a Northern thing, at least to me. Up here I leave it out 24/7, but we blow through a stick of butter each week. What you might consider is taking it out in the morning and put in the fridge at night.

The only oils we use are olive, canola is poison. Google it. Frightening.
I used to leave it out in an antique, complicated, roll-top butter dish and Sushi the Siamese figured it out in no time flat! I had trouble opening it at first!
Every morning, I would find it licked clean.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:05 PM

5,562 posts, read 4,422,465 times
Quote:
(Condescending attitude noted)....Yes, I've heard of butter dishes. But I don't know how long butter can stay good sitting out at room temperature. Guess I need to research that.

But another reason to add an oil to the butter spread is to cut down on the saturated fat.
We used to leave butter out all the time. Maybe it took a week or so to finish a stick.

I don't do that now, since we don't eat a lot of butter. But when I want toast or English muffin with butter, I just put the butter dish (old Pyrex) in the micro for a few seconds.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,389,492 times
I mostly gave up yellow grease.

I never have it on sandwiches.

If I do have it, I prefer Western Star Butter which is Australian and the best.

I use virgin olive oil for dipping and pouring, canola for frying.

I don't fry much. I use the spray most times.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:32 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,917,408 times
Quote:

How much butter are you ingesting? I've had 2 sticks in my fridge for forever as I made brownies last summer. Butter or margarine spreads should not be a consideration if you are worried about any fats and butter would actually be best if you absolutely need one as it is simply churned cream.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,156,914 times
I would use grapeseed. Maybe a little olive oil too, but probably not too much or the nutty/spicy flavor might overpower it. Avocado oil would probably work well too.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:36 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,175,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
I'm sorry you feel my attitude is "condescending", but this really IS something you shouldn't need to ask about.
Ok, No. 1 - I'm not a very good cook and am just now learning many things I should have learned 30 years ago.

No. 2 - No one in my family ever used butter when I was growing up, so I just had no idea it could be left out.

No. 3 - I wasn't aware that there were rules posted anywhere prohibiting certain subjects. I mean, hey, if we can't ask a simple question and get a friendly answer, then why even come here?

While it is true that just about any question we have about food we could do a google search on and eventually come up with an answer, one of the purposes of posting on a board like this is the social interaction and camaraderie. And sometimes anecdotal evidence, while not acceptable to a scientific researcher, is more valuable than the government's "guidelines" or whatever else we may be discussing. I really love to hear of other people's actual, real-life experiences.

So if my questions are just absolutely too forehead-slappingly dumb for you, just put me on your ignore list or something.

Now, to the ones who answered in a friendly manner....I'm trying just leaving the butter out on the counter for now to see if that works for me. I'll start with a half stick at a time. It's a little "melty" at the bottom right now, because I keep my house warmer than most people in warm weather....I wouldn't be able to pay the electric bill if I didn't! But I did do some research and found that it can stay out at least 10 days.....some people say longer.

Now for frying, I'm going to drop the canola oil and try peanut oil. I also use veg. oil in my cornbread....is peanut oil a neutral enough flavor for that? And are there GMO or hydrogenation concerns with peanut oil? (yes, I know, I could find all that info through a google search....eventually. But I never would have known about canola oil's problems without coming here, so all you who are knowledgable about oils, lay it on me.)

Old 04-02-2014, 12:06 PM

10,207 posts, read 16,780,008 times
I have a butter bell.

It looks like this:

Mrs. Anderson's Baking Ceramic Better Butter Keeper - Rakuten.com Shopping

They are inexpensive and they bridge the gap for the people who aren't comfortable leaving the stick on the counter. You put cool water in the reservoir, and softened butter in the "bell." The water keeps the butter the perfect spreading temperature. I change the water every day or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or