U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:14 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,178,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I have a butter bell.

It looks like this:

Mrs. Anderson's Baking Ceramic Better Butter Keeper - Rakuten.com Shopping

They are inexpensive and they bridge the gap for the people who aren't comfortable leaving the stick on the counter. You put cool water in the reservoir, and softened butter in the "bell." The water keeps the butter the perfect spreading temperature. I change the water every day or so.
I've heard of those types of things....but if keeping it out on the counter in just a butter dish will work, that's what I'm going to go with....anything to make life easier! (Thanks for your answer, though....someone else may be interested in doing that....and I may be also if the plain old butter dish doesn't work for me!)

I'm about to go try myself a piece of toast made with the butter that's been sitting out all night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 02:45 PM

31,284 posts, read 57,490,958 times
The texture of pure butter is too heavy for my taste, that's why I make the spread with butter and oil.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:04 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,797,273 times
Get a butter bell...will last for a week or two at room temperature.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The texture of pure butter is too heavy for my taste, that's why I make the spread with butter and oil.
Yeah, that may be the case for me also....that toast was pretty good yesterday, but I was in a hurry and didn't really take the time to notice the difference in taste. Wasted butter. LOL

I found out one thing last night when I went to buy the peanut oil....it's a lot more expensive than canola, or even corn oil or the "blends". eek! I bought a bottle to try, but I don't know....on a tight budget around here.

Is lard expensive? I may just switch to that for all my frying. (No sense anyone taking me to task or giving me dire warnings....I've read up on it.) I'm wanting to give it a try in my biscuits also. Right now I'm using butter.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 PM

Just a quick update....leaving the butter out in a Rubbermaid container is working fine for me, even though it gets pretty warm in my kitchen. I find that I have to replace it about every week or week and a half. I use butter now for everything, no more margarine used in this house at all. Using it full strength is fine also, not too heavy.

I found some Organic Valley cultured butter at Wal-Mart and tried a box....I really liked it because it has a little more flavor than Land O' Lakes and is also (supposedly) organic. It only costs around 90 cents more per box. Anyone else like it? I have wanted to try Kerry Gold because America's Test Kitchen rated it the best-tasting butter, but I haven't found it anywhere I shop (small town, rural area), and I think it's pretty expensive, anyway.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
. I find that I have to replace it about every week or week and a half.
What I mean is, we use up a stick about every week to week and a half and I have to get another one out of the refrigerator.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 PM

15,914 posts, read 8,854,734 times
I use a butter bell on the counter, which uses water to prevent spoilage. We go through about half of a stick per week for spreading on toast, etc. The rest stays in the freezer until needed.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:49 AM

I looked into the butter bell idea, but after reading about people who leave their butter out at room temp and never have any problem with spoilage, I did that (because it was easier!) and it works for us.....even with my kitchen getting as warm as it does in the summer time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or