U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:40 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,178,169 times

Advertisements

So, in the "butter is back" thread, someone said canola is now not considered as good for you as originally thought (besides being a big GMO food). I had actually read that myself, recently.

I make my own butter spread with canola. I definitely don't want to use something that is almost certain to be GMO, or partially hydrogenated (as the article said). But the doc who wrote the article pretty much dismissed all vegetable oils and recommended coconut oil. I found some coconut oil in Wal-Mart....it was all solid. Not something I could use to make butter spread with.

What about peanut oil? I also bought a small bottle of extra-virgin olive oil, but doesn't olive oil have a very distinctive taste? I haven't even opened the bottle yet to take a sniff or taste.

What can I use to make my butter spread with??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 10:43 PM

You know what, I just opened the olive oil and took a sniff....it smells just slightly "fruity", but not much. Canola oil can have an unpleasant "fishy" odor and taste sometimes (has anyone else noticed that?), so I think the fruity might be preferable to fishy! But I didn't taste it, as I have already brushed my teeth for the night. I actually have never used olive oil for cooking, so I have no clue what kind of taste it has.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,490,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
So, in the "butter is back" thread, someone said canola is now not considered as good for you as originally thought (besides being a big GMO food). I had actually read that myself, recently.

I make my own butter spread with canola. I definitely don't want to use something that is almost certain to be GMO, or partially hydrogenated (as the article said). But the doc who wrote the article pretty much dismissed all vegetable oils and recommended coconut oil. I found some coconut oil in Wal-Mart....it was all solid. Not something I could use to make butter spread with.

What about peanut oil? I also bought a small bottle of extra-virgin olive oil, but doesn't olive oil have a very distinctive taste? I haven't even opened the bottle yet to take a sniff or taste.

What can I use to make my butter spread with??
try real butter

Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,993,231 times
Have you seen how Canola Oil is made?

Why not just make your own fresh butter and leave the oil out of it. Room temperature butter does not need any oil added to it to spread.
In my opinion anything added to butter that is not garlic or herbs is a good waste of butter.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,259,082 times
Nufachal cheese, it's like cream cheese only less fat and calories and you can make it savory or with fresh fruit..

Old 04-01-2014, 10:09 AM

31,273 posts, read 57,490,958 times
Try sunflower or grapeseed oil; neither have a flavor that competes with the butter.

I've used olive oil before, but it does have a very distinct taste that doesn't go well with jam on your toast. Although I've read of some people using the extra light flavored olive oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
try real butter
It is made out of real butter.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,490,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Try sunflower or grapeseed oil; neither have a flavor that competes with the butter.

I've used olive oil before, but it does have a very distinct taste that doesn't go well with jam on your toast. Although I've read of some people using the extra light flavored olive oil.

It is made out of real butter.
real butter doesn't need additives added .

Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 AM

Ok...it is real butter I'm talking about....I'm just trying to make it more spreadable by whipping it and adding the oil.

Thanks for the suggestions about sunflower or grapeseed oil. I will research them.

It may be that I just need to get a butter crock, or whatever you call it, and leave it out all the time....wouldn't it then be spreadable? That's my only problem with butter, is getting it to spread on bread to toast it, or on pancakes, etc.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM

508 posts, read 529,209 times
Ummm ... have you never heard of a butter dish? The way to make butter spreadable is to keep it at room temperature. In a butter dish or other container. On your countertop.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
Ummm ... have you never heard of a butter dish? The way to make butter spreadable is to keep it at room temperature. In a butter dish or other container. On your countertop.
(Condescending attitude noted)....Yes, I've heard of butter dishes. But I don't know how long butter can stay good sitting out at room temperature. Guess I need to research that.

But another reason to add an oil to the butter spread is to cut down on the saturated fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or