U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 05:50 PM

10,207 posts, read 18,199,171 times

Advertisements

The Mexico Steakhouse in Chicago's Bridgeport neighborhood on the South Side. The joint is excellent; try the alambres, they make me drool.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 04-04-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:45 PM

12,851 posts, read 23,310,104 times
OP: They exist in the Denver area, so I know you'll have to draw your line at least this far north.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:17 AM

3,108 posts, read 4,685,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
OP: They exist in the Denver area, so I know you'll have to draw your line at least this far north.
Well since the OP excluded New Mexico (which was part of Mexico for longer than it has been part of America), I don't think the OP considers New Mexican cuisine - which is what most Colorado Mexican food is - to be "Mexican."

In truth, like an earlier poster noted, there are several types of regional Mexican cuisines and New Mexican is one of them. The areas in New Mexico and Colorado are famous for their green chile, and there is not any seafood for obvious reasons.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:24 AM

12,851 posts, read 23,310,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Well since the OP excluded New Mexico (which was part of Mexico for longer than it has been part of America), I don't think the OP considers New Mexican cuisine - which is what most Colorado Mexican food is - to be "Mexican."
Would you consider Tacos y Salsas or Tacos Tijuana to be New Mexican? Because I sure wouldn't.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:27 AM

43 posts, read 50,961 times
I hate those gringo mex restaurants I live in washington state and they're all over the place. The way i find out if a place is authentic is by looking at the menu and seeing what meat they have if you can only get a burrito in ground beef chicken or pork its gringo mex. A authentic mexican restaurant will have Asada, al pastor, lengua, barbacoa, birria, chorizo etc.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:31 AM

69,541 posts, read 79,825,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm over 10 years into becoming a Texan, but I still prefer the California-style mexican food I grew up with. Luckily, with a ton of trial and error, I've learned to make my favorite dishes at home!

When we go out for Tex-Mex, we just keep our expectations lower, and we eat well enough.

(ducks, and runs from the room before the chipotle peppers start flying at her head)
I totally agree. I remember the first time I ordered a tostada in Texas, it certainly wasn't like what we got in California.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 AM

114,056 posts, read 52,515,760 times
I make my own carne guisada and enchiladas. I'd love to make tamales some day. The states that border Mexico have a high degree of continuous input. Naturally, they should have the best sampling of true Mexican foods. There are of course a wide variation of local dishes.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:05 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,839,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
I live in the Bay Area, CA and there are some great hole in the wall Mexican places. My two favorites places are a place called La Milpa and also Casa Lupe.

There's also some amazing taquerias - Taqueria Latina is my favorite. Yum...now I'm craving Mexican food! It's one of my favorite cuisines. I just can't eat it too often.
If I could transport El Farolito (the Oakland one is better than the Mission one IMHO) to Guangzhou by sacrificing a toe, I'd do it with no hesitation...

Old 04-05-2014, 11:06 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,839,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLUE 951SUR View Post
I hate those gringo mex restaurants I live in washington state and they're all over the place. The way i find out if a place is authentic is by looking at the menu and seeing what meat they have if you can only get a burrito in ground beef chicken or pork its gringo mex. A authentic mexican restaurant will have Asada, al pastor, lengua, barbacoa, birria, chorizo etc.
You should check out El Camion in Seattle. Some of the best Mexican I've had and I've lived in CA and been to Mexico before. Other than them, WA is definitely lacking a bit on good Mexican...

But look on the bright side: there are only a couple Mexican restaurants in the entirety of Guangzhou. One of them is slightly-authentic and is acceptable, meaning it's almost as good as strip-mall Mexican food in Kent. The other is horrible, and insanely overpriced... a "burrito plate" which has a teensy, bland, Tina's-sized burrito with a side of white rice and some poorly-spiced pinto beans costs 105 yuan, or about $18 USD Thankfully I'm a decent cook and can make my own Mexican here. I do family meal nights for some of the other border state expats here, and also cooked some tacos for my Chinese coworkers since none of them had ever heard of a taco before. Went over well

Last edited by 415_s2k; 04-05-2014 at 11:14 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 11:13 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,485,227 times
Having lived in Mexico for a bit, to me it's not about "authenticity" (which can't really be achieved due to ingredients) but about breadth of the menu. I favor Mexican restaurants that don't stick to the usual "things stuffed in a tortilla" menu as that's not how most Mexicans eat.

I'd pick Chicago as my favorite destination for Mexican food that doesn't fit that criteria. I'm not interested in enchiladas stuffed with industrial-farm white meat chicken then buried under cheese and sour cream. I pretty much write off any place that has a section of the menu devoted to "combinations". Give me a nice snapper a la veracruzana or a tuna steak in a cilantro sauce or octopus in a chipotle gravy or birria (slow-cooked lamb) and I'm really happy. You just rarely see those things on US menus. Except in Chicago.

Chicago has it all, from solid taco stands to hole-in-wall mom & pops making guisados and other "homey" foods to upscale places like Xoco and Frontera.

That said, I haven't really explored Mexican in Northern Cal. I usually use those trips to pig out on better Asian food than I can get around me (Pittsburgh). But I've never been impressed with the menus of SoCal Mexican restaurants (although I've never found better fish tacos than in San Diego). Texas is its own thing. And other than Maya in NYC, I'm not particularly crazy about what's offered there. Boston had a great place back in the 80s/90s (Forest Cafe) but it changed owners/chefs several times, went downhill and finally closed. Nothing similar has replaced it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or