U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite coffee?
Chock full o'Nuts 1 1.30%
Dunkin Donuts 7 9.09%
Folgers 6 7.79%
Maxwell House 4 5.19%
MJB 0 0%
Nescafé 0 0%
Hill's Brothers 0 0%
Starbuck's 7 9.09%
Other 52 67.53%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:01 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times

Advertisements

For home use, I prefer Community Coffee out of Baton Rouge, LA. Some of the Trader Joe's coffees are quite good but the prices are much higher. They will work in a pinch.

On the road, I prefer Tim Horton's. Their food stinks in the US stores but is pretty good in Canada. Their coffee is good in both.

I will admit that my choice of coffee is predicated on having access to WiFi on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 01:02 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,522,611 times
If I buy coffee to brew at home, it's only Fair Trade coffee.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:08 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,338,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Is grinding your own beans worth it? How big a difference does it make in the taste? I have a grinder still in the box, but have been too lazy to use it as yet.
Yes! Get that grinder out of the box. Once you have tasted freshly ground beans that you prepare at home using the method you prefer, you will never go back.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:16 PM

When I want a great cup of coffee, I do it at home. Sure, I'll pick up a cup here and there in town but it is like something that I get and imbibe just because - a local convenience store is on my way to wherever I am going. We don't have drive-thru Starbucks here in my town but instead there are locally owned businesses (Yes!). If one has a hankering for Starbucks, you have to walk-in.

I voted for other. For an olfactory and gustatory delight, I will prepare freshly ground coffee beans (usually French roast).

Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 PM

9,270 posts, read 7,295,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Goodness I hate those dumb machines. Talk about a massive polluting device! Why not get a French Press? They don't need that dumb plastic holder that ends up in the ocean.
Do you live plastic free?? If not, why is your plastic use any better?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:49 PM

11,048 posts, read 11,460,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Interesting. To me, french roast = burnt. If I can smell carbon, it's overroasted.

Some people like that, but IMO it makes little or no sense to pay a premium for it. If one is going to pay a premium for a coffee, I would think it would be to taste what the actual bean/farm/origin offers, thus it only makes sense to buy it roasted lighter. Once you get to french roast, it almost doesn't matter what the source of the bean is. A 95 point coffee would taste about the same as an 80 point coffee since you've roasted out what makes the more expensive beans unique. Just my opinion. YMMV.
If you prefer lighter roast, that's fine. However, French roast does not mean burned. Burned means the roaster screwed up and answered the phone instead of paying attention to the coffee. You should have taken it back and asked for a refund.

In fact, there are a lot of good coffee suppliers. It's just a little shocking that people think Folgers is one of them. I also am sometimes dismayed when I check into a 4 star hotel and the room coffee is Boyd's. Much of the country doesn't even know there is a difference between arabica and robusta coffees, and drinks a robusta blend just because it's cheaper.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Goodness I hate those dumb machines. Talk about a massive polluting device! Why not get a French Press? They don't need that dumb plastic holder that ends up in the ocean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do you live plastic free?? If not, why is your plastic use any better?
Convenience mostly, I believe. Although, the coffee is tasty there is no comparison to a freshly brewed coffee using a French press or Drip.

Any effort to reduce the use of a non-renewable resources is a good thing. Right.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:01 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
How won't the French Press end up in the ocean? I bought one a few months back. The stupid thing cost $35 ON SALE and is made of cheap plastic. It fell apart after a month. I looked it up online and I see I can buy replacement parts at a high price, and I hate throwing things away so I tossed it into a cabinet and bought an electric percolator.

Eventually I'll have to toss the stupid French Press. Maybe I'll save the mug part to use as a cup, but I'm not impressed with this whole French Press fad. You end up with lukewarm coffee, and I like mine good and hot.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:02 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Peet's when it's on sale, New England Coffee, Green Mountain Coffee. Mostly around here the restaurants have Green Mountain.

I can't drink Starbucks--it tasted burnt the one time I tried it.

Most of the time as long as it's from arabica beans the coffee seems to be okay
Starbucks IS burnt--literally. It's roasted at a higher temperature and for a shorter amount of time than dark-roast coffee is usually roasted. That's exactly why it tastes burnt.

I love Green Mountain, but I can't always find it here in New Jersey. Bought some the last time I was in Vermont.

Trader Joe's sells a Bolivian coffee that I like, and in the nice weather there's a coffee seller at a nearby farmer's market that sells a Peruvian dark roast I enjoyed. I hope to get more of that.

I do buy Maxwell House when it's on sale and stash it away for those low-budget times when I run out of the good stuff. I'm on Maxwell House this week. Next week I'm getting something good again.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:04 PM

9,187 posts, read 10,136,018 times
I buy green beans, Mocha Sanani from mysterious and beautiful Yemen. Green coffee lasts for many, many years as long it's kept dark and dry. I use a popcorn pumper (available on ebay) to roast the beans. Then I grind them in my burr grinder and brew the coffee in a vacuum pot (available from amazon or ebay).

Starbucks overroasts. If the roasted beans look oily they're either overroasted, old, or both. The subtle and complicated flavors are burned out of it. Roast your premium coffee beans every few days or even every day, Grind it just before use. Use a vacuum pot, cold brewer, or siphon. You'll discover a new and wonderful world of coffee.

There are some who dislike popcorn pumpers because they can't hear the pop; they claim that they must for perfect coffee roasting time. But I've roasted coffee several ways and consider this to be as good as any and better than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or