U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite coffee?
Chock full o'Nuts 1 1.30%
Dunkin Donuts 7 9.09%
Folgers 6 7.79%
Maxwell House 4 5.19%
MJB 0 0%
Nescafé 0 0%
Hill's Brothers 0 0%
Starbuck's 7 9.09%
Other 52 67.53%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 03:08 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times

Advertisements

It is somewhat amazing, though, isn't it, that this chain has somehow marketed itself all over the world as a popular brand based on BURNT COFFEE that tastes like crap?

Then again, explain McDonald's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 03:09 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,338,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How won't the French Press end up in the ocean? I bought one a few months back. The stupid thing cost $35 ON SALE and is made of cheap plastic. It fell apart after a month. I looked it up online and I see I can buy replacement parts at a high price, and I hate throwing things away so I tossed it into a cabinet and bought an electric percolator.

Eventually I'll have to toss the stupid French Press. Maybe I'll save the mug part to use as a cup, but I'm not impressed with this whole French Press fad. You end up with lukewarm coffee, and I like mine good and hot.
They make them in plastic now. I have had mine for over a couple of decades now and it is made with glass and is still functioning 100%. One of the best cups of home-made hot coffee I have ever had.

Please try to find one that is made with glass. Treat it well and it will last a lifetime I would think.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:22 PM

26 posts, read 88,925 times
I have a Keurig and I really like the Newman's Own and Nantucket. However, my favorite is still Starbucks.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:46 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,400,726 times
I like Eight o'Clock Columbian. I used to grind my own but didn't really find enough of a difference to make it necessary. Now, I buy the whole beans and grind in the store's grinder.

I ready the pot before I go to bed and the coffee is waiting for me when I wake up. Actually, that's what wakes me up.

I recall being in the hospital and my son bringing me a DD and a Starbuck's at 6:30 one morning. He really thought he was bringing me a treat, but I'm not a fan of either one. I drank the DD, "saved" the Starbuck's for "later", and told him that he didn't have to bring me anything. Just come and hold my hand.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:56 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
My favorite right now is a locally distributed brand called Community Coffee. I percolate my own every morning, rarely drink coffee in a styrofoam cup.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:26 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
They make them in plastic now. I have had mine for over a couple of decades now and it is made with glass and is still functioning 100%. One of the best cups of home-made hot coffee I have ever had.

Please try to find one that is made with glass. Treat it well and it will last a lifetime I would think.
Thanks. I'd never heard of a French press before this year, and I bought one when my drip coffeemaker stopped working.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 PM

13,148 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Starbucks overroasts. If the roasted beans look oily they're either overroasted, old, or both. The subtle and complicated flavors are burned out of it.
Is that why their coffee is so bitter and nasty? The only Starbucks I can stand are the lattes, which isn't really coffee, since it's about 1/2 milk. But their regular coffee is terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Goodness I hate those dumb machines. Talk about a massive polluting device! Why not get a French Press? They don't need that dumb plastic holder that ends up in the ocean.
How do those French Press things work? I'm such a coffee fanatic I think I should broaden my horizons a bit and try other ways besides my old, basic standby: preground Folgers in a cheap 12 cup drip pot. I've heard amazing things about a French Press.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:20 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,717,797 times
I HATED coffee up until about 2-3 years ago. When I had tasted that Starbucks stuff I was disgusted and turned off to all coffee! It always tasted bitter to me.

Then I tried Green Mountain out of a Keurig and have loved coffee ever since. My favorites are their Breakfast and Nantucket Blend. I also enjoy smelling and buying the whole coffee beans at places like Fresh Market and going home and grinding my own...the smell is wonderful and the coffee taste delicious!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:27 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,734,627 times
LOVE local company Dunn Brothers. Also like local company Caribou. Hate Hate Hate Starbucks. Like others, I think they burn their coffee beans. It truly is the Mickey D's of coffee roasters.

If I dont get time to get to Dunn Bros or Caribou for my beans to make at home, I buy McGarveys beans at the grocery store. Hazelnut is the best.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 PM

7 posts, read 6,109 times
"Bay Blend" from Trader Joes. Way better than any Starbucks that I have tested, also better than the other Trader Joe's I tested. Grind it at the store. Dark, flavorful. Perfect with Heavy Whipping Cream and Stevia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or