U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite coffee?
Chock full o'Nuts 1 1.30%
Dunkin Donuts 7 9.09%
Folgers 6 7.79%
Maxwell House 4 5.19%
MJB 0 0%
Nescafé 0 0%
Hill's Brothers 0 0%
Starbuck's 7 9.09%
Other 52 67.53%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:21 PM

51,196 posts, read 50,480,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringpnw View Post
"Bay Blend" from Trader Joes. Way better than any Starbucks that I have tested, also better than the other Trader Joe's I tested. Grind it at the store. Dark, flavorful. Perfect with Heavy Whipping Cream and Stevia.
That one is decent, too. Half and half for me, no sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 09:58 PM

11,258 posts, read 5,751,724 times
My favorite is the one I make cause I know the right amount of milk and agave nectar to add

Strangely enough, one of my friends came to my house and told me that I make coffee better than his Colombian gf XD

Old 04-05-2014, 10:47 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,914,194 times
I like several of the Gevalia coffees. There constantly coupons in the newspapers for $1 or $1.50 off per bag, which makes it cheaper than most other premium supermarket coffees. I buy their House Blend for my daily drinking but if I'm having guests I make the Colombian, which is a little less robust. Even the decaf version is pretty tasty. Apparently I'm not alone. When I was checking out at the supermarket the other day, the clerk said, "I tried that coffee and I really like it." And the woman in line behind me chimed in, "I love it!" We could have been doing a commercial. Where was that Nordic looking guy with the fancy cup?
Gevalia In Store | Buy Gourmet Coffee

I don't usually care for flavored coffees but I do like Dunkin's cinnamon coffee. Better than just adding cinnamon to regular coffee. It smells great while it's brewing. I go out of my way to get some in the fall. For coffee-on-the-road, I like what they serve at Einstein's Bagels. Starbucks is the last thing I buy. It always tastes burned to me.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-05-2014 at 11:05 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 11:04 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,914,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Is grinding your own beans worth it? How big a difference does it make in the taste? I have a grinder still in the box, but have been too lazy to use it as yet.
I think it makes a difference if you have the time to clean the grinder. To me what REALLY makes a difference is to brew the coffee directly into a thermal pot so the coffee doesn't sit on a heating element. I bought a Cuisinart Grind and Brew Thermal Coffeemaker about fifteen years ago on the recommendation of a coffee fiend friend. I liked it so much that when it finally gave up the ghost recently I bought another one like it. You can turn off the grinder and use pre-ground coffee if you want to, which is what convinced me that the thermal pot makes more difference than the internal grinder. The coffee stays hot for hours but doesn't get that burned bottom-of-the-pot flavor at all. But the coffee's even better if you have fresh beans and grind them. Before I got this brewer I'm using now, I had a little Braun coffee grinder that still works fine after about 20 years, so I use it to grind spices.
This is what I have:
Amazon.com: Cuisinart DGB-650BC Grind-and-Brew Thermal 10-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker, Brushed Metal: Kitchen & Dining

Old 04-05-2014, 11:42 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,716,763 times
I usually buy Peets Major Dickason's blend; they sell it at some of the more upscale Krogers here. Back in the early 1990s, before there was much choice in coffee at grocery stores, I would bulk-order coffee from Peets. They'd make a 50/50 blend of Sumatra and Italian roast at my request and I'd get it shipped UPS. At the time, if I bought 10lbs or more, it wasn't that much more expensive than Folgers.

Ditto on the French press! I admit I usually use a basic drip coffee maker for convenience but French press coffee is superior and when I have time to faff about for a good cuppa, that's what I use.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:44 PM

11,040 posts, read 11,450,778 times
Give coffee about 10 minutes after it is brewed for the flavor to come up.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:18 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
I'm not brand-loyal, but I use whole bean, and prefer African coffees. Trader Joe's has an Ethiopian blend I like, and World Market carries a Kenya AA that is good.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:35 AM
gg

16,933 posts, read 17,174,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do you live plastic free?? If not, why is your plastic use any better?
I don't want to get off topic, but arguing that if someone is living, "plastic free" to justify using more plastic is pretty laughable. Let me put it this way for you. If someone rides a bike to work 50% of the time instead of driving, is that using less fuel and polluting less? It almost never is about being 100%, it is all about percentages however. That being said, we don't do much plastic in our home other than sometimes certain things are wrapped with it at a store. Those dumb machines for coffee are stilly. A french press can be used to make a up of coffee. Is it too difficult to rinse the thing under water for a few seconds after use? Also, you can just buy coffee and not the dumb little plastic cups.

Anyway, it is another topic. Just thought I would hopefully get people using a much better coffee maker.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:45 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,001,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Stumptown French roast, fresh roasted and ground at home for every pot. Here in the PNW we know coffee. The rest of the country is hopeless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I think it's very annoying how those from the PNW like to rub it in others' faces that they have the best taste in coffee. That's just it - taste. We are all allowed to like what we like and those in the PNW have a preference for a certain type of coffee, while other parts of the country and world have other preferences.
Drinking sludge isn't much to brag about. lol

Plain old Folgers for me. For winter evenings, I like Folgers Mocha Swirl.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:13 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,728,567 times
Just a short story - I never drank coffee before enlisting in the army and it took about six months before I tried it for the first time.

Army [and probably off the other services] have these massive coffee urns that stay on day and night and really come up with some - ahem - strong coffee.

I was reluctant to drink it after having done KP several times and watched the cooks dump some egg shells into the coffee grounds. When I asked, I was told it added to the flavor and made it less bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or