U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite coffee?
Chock full o'Nuts 1 1.30%
Dunkin Donuts 7 9.09%
Folgers 6 7.79%
Maxwell House 4 5.19%
MJB 0 0%
Nescafé 0 0%
Hill's Brothers 0 0%
Starbuck's 7 9.09%
Other 52 67.53%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:39 AM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Just a short story - I never drank coffee before enlisting in the army and it took about six months before I tried it for the first time.

Army [and probably off the other services] have these massive coffee urns that stay on day and night and really come up with some - ahem - strong coffee.

I was reluctant to drink it after having done KP several times and watched the cooks dump some egg shells into the coffee grounds. When I asked, I was told it added to the flavor and made it less bitter.

Adding salt to coffee also cuts the bitterness. If I must drink cheap coffee, I'll add a pinch of salt and drink it black.

https://www.google.com/search?q=salt...x-a&channel=sb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 AM

2,316 posts, read 1,904,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
My favorite right now is a locally distributed brand called Community Coffee. I percolate my own every morning, rarely drink coffee in a styrofoam cup.
They recently started promoting this brand here in South Florida. There's a display with hot samples right near the door of most Winn-Dixies.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:08 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Just a short story - I never drank coffee before enlisting in the army and it took about six months before I tried it for the first time.

Army [and probably off the other services] have these massive coffee urns that stay on day and night and really come up with some - ahem - strong coffee.

When you are brewing in that quantity - FIVE GALLONS at a time on each side, the coffee can get really strong very quickly. Egg shells help. The 190-200F water kills any bacteria on the shell.

Yes, the Army serves coffee THAT hot.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:09 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
They recently started promoting this brand here in South Florida. There's a display with hot samples right near the door of most Winn-Dixies.
I hope they go national. Their product is THAT good. BTW, they do ship throughout the US. Their best deals are on the internet and through their e-mails.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:26 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,443,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not brand-loyal, but I use whole bean, and prefer African coffees. Trader Joe's has an Ethiopian blend I like, and World Market carries a Kenya AA that is good.
^^^Me too. I am not brand loyal by any stretch. I have tried and liked many coffees over the past few years. And I have also tried and disliked many coffees. I wasn't always a coffee drinker---only began drinking it regularly after moving from a warm climate to a cold climate. I must say I have never had a bad cup-o-joe from Caribou Coffee. And, like many others here, I am not a Starbucks fan--although I will have a café latte when I visit the bookstore that has a StB in it. At home, I am currently enjoying some blend from Trader Joe's. Bruegger's Bagels also serves decent coffee, IMO.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:28 PM

670 posts, read 760,589 times
No coffee for me. I'm a black tea drinker...sometimes chai tea latte.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Stumptown French roast, fresh roasted and ground at home for every pot. Here in the PNW we know coffee. The rest of the country is hopeless.
Like he said Not that the Stumptown is my favorite, but the choices in the poll don't include any of the good stuff, except Starbucks. I buy Allan Brothers coffee, whole bean, and grind it for each cup.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,349,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
If I buy coffee to brew at home, it's only Fair Trade coffee.
Do you drive a Prius?

Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
No coffee for me. I'm a black tea drinker...sometimes chai tea latte.
I like all three, it's not an either/or situation. Just depends on my mood.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 PM

11,047 posts, read 11,455,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Do you drive a Prius?

Here in Oregon you can buy fresh roasted whole bean fair trade organic grown coffee in the supermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or