U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:51 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,149,865 times

Advertisements

In metro Detroit it's Coney Island restaurants. There's like 10 of them per square mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 04:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,716,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
In metro Detroit it's Coney Island restaurants. There's like 10 of them per square mile.
Yep, same here in SE MI. I never realised that "Coney" was a category of restaurant until I moved here.

Sadly, I utterly loathe coneys (hot dogs, basically.) One thing I seriously miss about living out west is the really good Mexican food truck breakfasts. Fast food options around here are non-existent unless you're into fast-food chains.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:46 PM

17,980 posts, read 17,131,123 times
In my part of New England it's fresh seafood places. Clam shacks, fish sandwiches, fish&chips, baked haddock. Also diners--and they are genuine and good, nothing fake.

What we lack is good Mexican food. It's almost non existent except for (yuck) Taco Bell.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
I don't think diners are regional; I think every region has its diners, but I don't think that diners are the same everywhere. Edward Hopper and Normal Rockwell interpretations of diners were famous because of the very ubiquity of diners.

Where I am from, diners are casual, offer counter service as well as booths and tables (depending on size), usually have late night hours, and specialize in truckstop-style fare...lots of breakfasts available all day, and overall mostly fried and grilled food. My personal go-to diner meal is a classic patty melt...rye bread, grilled onions, cheese, and hamburger patty, fried golden on a griddle, and fries.

There are pizza places everywhere I've ever lived,likewise...but they don't all look like NYC pizzerias, not by a long shot.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:50 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
I think people that move away from NYC miss the NYC deli scene as I know several former NYers that they always want to go and eat a deli when they visit.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:29 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Here in GA there's a BBQ joint on every corner.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 AM

13,007 posts, read 12,434,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You need to get out more!
No, he's right. There's a very distinct atmosphere to a NY/NJ-style pizzeria. The only time I've experienced it here in Denver was when I went to a place that served that type of pizza, and even then it wasn't really the same. But it was close!

There was a place in Maryland that me and my buddies stopped at because it LOOKED like a NJ-style pizzeria but the pizza was beyond awful. We felt like there'd been a bait and switch, lol - the four of us just sitting there glaring at our plates with baleful eyes.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:20 AM

13,007 posts, read 12,434,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think people that move away from NYC miss the NYC deli scene as I know several former NYers that they always want to go and eat a deli when they visit.
I miss the neighborhood delis in Jersey. We just don't have that in Denver. It's all chains or grocery-store sandwiches. There's virtually no mom n pop shops where you go in, pick your deli meat, your cheese, your roll, ya know? Whenever I go home, one of my stops is for turkey, mayo and American on a bagel or hard roll, with a bag of chips and a pickled. Seems like a fairly simple thing, but here I usually end up at Jimmy John's for want of a better option.

They do have some fairly decent Philly cheesesteak shops though.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here in GA there's a BBQ joint on every corner.
Same in KC.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM

8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times
We have meat and threes in the south. It is a divey sort of place that lists different meats like fried chicken, fried catfish, meatloaf, chicken livers, etc and you pick one then pick three sides like collards, mac and cheese, fries, slaw, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans etc.

BBQ joints in South Carolina are more out in the country places that are usually in a cinderblock building and only open Fri-Sunday. The real goods ones at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or