U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,710,964 times

Advertisements

Bay Area, CA here (south of San Francisco). Lots and lots of Indian, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, & Seafood restaurants. I've noticed a lot of Persian and Greek/Mediterranean places popping up which is fantastic. Also South American/Peruvian. Not a lot of diners at all. I can't say I miss them as I didn't grow up with them. Also southern type cuisine is pretty much non-existent here as well. I've always wanted to try a Cracker Barrel hash brown casserole dish but they won't even open any restaurants here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:07 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,465,227 times
Here taquerias are common, small mexican casual restaurants often open for morning thru lunchtime only, serving breakfast tacos and plates, with barbacoa and soups on weekends. Good stuff

Old 04-08-2014, 07:11 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,826,014 times
oh man, this is a good one. I've been in Australia for too long . . .

I miss a good Jersey diner breakfast. I miss good sub/hoagie shops. People just can't make good sandwiches here. Bakeries, yeah. The bread here sucks. It's like they use the same kind of dough for everything, just roll it into different shapes and cook it at different temps.

Pizzeria . . . you can't walk into a place here and order a slice of pizza. You have to buy the whole pie and they're usually loaded up with toppings. (btw - the plural of pizza is pizze. Pizzaria means they just have one.)

Banh Mi. Loads of Vietnamese here but again with the friggin craptastic bread and putting no effort into making their sandwiches.

Food trucks/carts are all over Philly all the time. You can get everything from sandwiches to hamburgers to tacos to crepes to korean tacos to cheesesteaks . . . nope, none of that here.

I wish I could just be teleported to Reading Terminal Market. Now!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:25 AM

13,007 posts, read 12,434,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
oh man, this is a good one. I've been in Australia for too long . . .

I miss a good Jersey diner breakfast. I miss good sub/hoagie shops. People just can't make good sandwiches here. Bakeries, yeah. The bread here sucks. It's like they use the same kind of dough for everything, just roll it into different shapes and cook it at different temps.

Pizzeria . . . you can't walk into a place here and order a slice of pizza. You have to buy the whole pie and they're usually loaded up with toppings. (btw - the plural of pizza is pizze. Pizzaria means they just have one.)

Banh Mi. Loads of Vietnamese here but again with the friggin craptastic bread and putting no effort into making their sandwiches.

Food trucks/carts are all over Philly all the time. You can get everything from sandwiches to hamburgers to tacos to crepes to korean tacos to cheesesteaks . . . nope, none of that here.

I wish I could just be teleported to Reading Terminal Market. Now!
B-b-but you have all the Vegemite you could wish for!

LOL. Sorry - did I just give you a paper cut and rub lemon juice in it?

Actually, I empathize. At least it's just a 4-hour plane ride for me to get back home. YOu've gotta go halfway around the world.

But now you've got me thinking about Reading Terminal Market...

Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,639,782 times
Chesapeake Bay area - Crab houses. Tables covered with sheets of heavy brown paper. Sink at side of room for washing crab spice off your hands BEFORE going to the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or