U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:14 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,808,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Incidentally, at the market yesterday, I saw salmon that had very obviously been dyed to give it a rich red color. They didn't quite get the shade of red correct, so I thought it was pretty obvious that the fish had been dyed, but I think that some consumers would fall for it. They know to pick the salmon with the richest color but don't actually know what the color should look like.
I'm pretty sure I've heard that farmed salmon is routinely dyed red, because it is normally too pale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,383,435 times
only way to make talapia edible is to take the filets and put em in a hot pan with a lil oil, onions, grated carrots, salt & pepper

they will disintegrate and turn into a nice filling

stuff the filling into a tortilla or something...yum

Old 04-06-2014, 12:47 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm pretty sure I've heard that farmed salmon is routinely dyed red, because it is normally too pale.
The red color in salmon flesh (and flamingo feathers) comes from carotenes in their diet (shrimp and krill). I'm sure you've noticed how shrimp get that pink color when cooked.

Well, when salmon are raised in fish farms they have to receive the same carotenes that cause their flesh to be pink/red in the wild or they will have a grey/white flesh. This is done by introducing synthetic astaxanthin and canthaxanthin (carotenes) into their diet.

So... to make a long story short - the salmon isn't colored by adding dye to the flesh, it is colored by adding carotenes to the feed.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 04-06-2014 at 01:08 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 AM

5,459 posts, read 4,577,627 times
I once bought a bag of catfish nuggets and no matter how long they were cooked, they stayed mushy and wet. So gross. I ended up tossing them and now, after reading this thread wonder just what they were.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 AM

670 posts, read 760,316 times
I've never been a big fish fan, but recently discovered tilapia. I actually like it. It's very mild. I guess I wouldn't be too happy to find that I had paid for something more expensive and received tilapia instead though. I had mainly eaten pollock before, which shrinks to about half it's size by the time you're done cooking it. I've also had what people call "white fish"...which is who knows what? It had a very strong fishy taste.

Recently, I've discovered the proper way to cook salmon, and I'm loving it. I had mainly eaten salmon steaks before that were overcooked and still had the bone in. Now I'm buying boneless salmon fillets. They are wonderful with a thin layer of olive oil on both sides, sprinkled with lemon pepper and a little garlic powder and baked at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 AM

15,565 posts, read 8,742,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
only way to make talapia edible is to take the filets and put em in a hot pan with a lil oil, onions, grated carrots, salt & pepper

they will disintegrate and turn into a nice filling

stuff the filling into a tortilla or something...yum
Clearly I'm in the minority here, but I like tilapia. I dredge it in seasoned flour and sear it, too. Delicious topped with mango salsa. My kids love tilapia with salsa verde, which is not a true salsa but rather a butter caper sauce. If treated with care, fresh tilapia holds together pretty well for me, but I like your suggestion of flaking it and filling a tortilla. Yum!

Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 AM

164 posts, read 151,482 times
Can you head to markets where you could pick the fish and ask the people to cut it up for you? I only eat sardine and salmon (for low mercury and high omega 3 content) so frozen mislabeled fish is never a problem.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:31 AM

7,839 posts, read 10,147,526 times
I eat Gorton's tilapia once in a great while. It's got some sauce on it that is pretty good. I just read, however, that it comes from China (certified something or another), but it'll be scrapped. I don't eat anything from China!

Old 04-06-2014, 01:09 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,400,121 times
I had tilapia many times in Africa in the 1980s, where it's native, and it's actually very tasty if freshly caught and prepared well. But I don't eat farmed fish, so I've never eaten it here. Sounds pretty bad.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:44 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,387,529 times
When I lived in Hawaii I regularly bought and served tilapia. Never gave a thought as to whether it was farmed or not but it was always fresh. I had three different people tell me it was the best fish they had ever had. To be fair, these were not folk who normally ate a lot of fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink