U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 05:40 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times

Advertisements

It's happened twice in the past couple of months. At the regular supermarket, I bought a package of cod fillets, unfrozen from the display.. They were highly variable, some really mushy soft, others not so bad, but even the best not what I expected from cod.

Then yesterday, I bought three pounds of catfish nuggets from a bin at a market that specializes in quality meats. Definitely not catfish. Same mushy texture as the cod. I've never bought tilapia, but I've heard it has that kind of texture. I'm taking that back, because even if an expert witness calls it catfish, it's the worst catfish I've ever seen and I consider my satisfaction to be guaranteed, whether stated or not. Both were over three dollars a pound, the cod on special and the catfish at normal price.

I suspect that in both cases, the store was foisting off tilapia, calling and pricing it as a better fish. Not necessarily the store's fault, they get it from a wholesaler who tells them what to call it, but even I could tell by looking at it when I got it home that it didn't look and didn't fry like catfish.

Then I remembered this article I saw a few months ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/us...abel-says.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
I despise that insipid slug of the fish world, Tilapia. As I have said before, it has no intrinsic flavor whatsoever and the texture is somewhere between firm tofu and tempeh.

We raise some excellent catfish here in the US, but I still see Swai being sold as a substitute for catfish.

In the sushi bars I'll never eat anything called "white fish" and I can't believe some sushi bars actually serve Tilapia by name. Since when is consuming raw freshwater fish a good idea?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:50 AM

13,050 posts, read 21,163,651 times
I don't eat tilapia. I was served overcooked mahi mahi once in the name of halibut, never went back there again.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:24 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
i bought some fish sticks the other day,,,,

i dont know whats in them, dont want to know,,with ketchup , they will be good!!

havent had tilapia for a while, thats a tough sell up here,,,chowder fish will sell 5 times better than tilapia

its haddock country up here

Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 AM

21,001 posts, read 25,765,271 times
Twice I have purchased halibut ($22 a pound) and taken it home and cooked it and it wasn't halibut.

Whatever it was, it wasn't bad fish, but halibut has a very distinctive flavor and it sure wasn't halibut.

I will no longer buy halibut in any form other than the cross body steak where I can see the white belly skin on one side and the correct gray skin on the other side.

If the fish vendors are going to be substituting cheaper fish, then maybe it is time to only buy when the fish is still in recognizable form.

Incidentally, at the market yesterday, I saw salmon that had very obviously been dyed to give it a rich red color. They didn't quite get the shade of red correct, so I thought it was pretty obvious that the fish had been dyed, but I think that some consumers would fall for it. They know to pick the salmon with the richest color but don't actually know what the color should look like.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 04-05-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 01:07 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
I am beginning to buy only fish that are only headed and gutted so that I can see what the fish really is.

The big con recently is serving pollack as cod.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:35 PM

21,001 posts, read 25,765,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The big con recently is serving pollack as cod.
There's something going on with the cod. I am seeing the fast food places advertising that their fish sandwich is cod, and I am thinking "not at the price of cod, it isn't."

I'd buy tilapia if I could get American raised and processed tilapia, because it steams up onto an excellent canned tuna substitute in a tuna salad. But all that is available here is from China. I don't buy food from China. I am a bit nervous about all the canned tuna that is canned somewhere in Asia.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:43 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Most of the cod being sold is Pacific Cod - not Atlantic Cod, which has been overfished.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:46 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,338,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There's something going on with the cod. I am seeing the fast food places advertising that their fish sandwich is cod, and I am thinking "not at the price of cod, it isn't."

I'd buy tilapia if I could get American raised and processed tilapia, because it steams up onto an excellent canned tuna substitute in a tuna salad. But all that is available here is from China. I don't buy food from China. I am a bit nervous about all the canned tuna that is canned somewhere in Asia.
Tilapia is a tasty fish. I enjoyed Tilapia (for about 2 months) until I happened to read the label: China. The days of Tilapia are over. I do NOT want my food coming from China - Heck, if you poison your own people why would you give a damn about non-nationals.

I substitute my Tilapia recipes with local cod.

[sidenote: Oregon, you raise a point that I will have to check on the next time that I buy canned tuna].

Old 04-05-2014, 02:54 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,196,741 times
I never purchase frozen meat. Purchase all seafood on ice, but not in ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink