Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,532,798 times

Advertisements

Inventor of K-Cups regrets the idea - Mar. 4, 2015

Quote:
"I feel bad sometimes that I ever did it," John Sylvan told The Atlantic in an interview.
Why? Because the K-Cups are bad for the environment -- they are disposable and not recyclable.

Sylvan originally envisioned the cup-like pouches that brewed a single serving of coffee for offices, where people want different brews. But the technology caught on, and Keurig Green Mountain brewers are now on kitchen counters everywhere.

That means more and more K-Cups are being used -- and thrown in the trash.

Sylvan isn't in a position to do much about the problem. He sold the company for $50,000 in 1997, and it's now owned by Green Mountain, the brewing company.

"I told them how to improve it, but they don't want to listen," Sylvan said.

Sylvan and others have designed solutions, like reuseable K-Cups. He said he even tested his design "years ago, and it worked."

But Keurig has tried to block those cups from working in its machines. The company says it has a plan of its own and is "committed to making 100% of K-Cup packs recyclable by 2020."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 09:30 AM

114,841 posts, read 65,536,860 times
It would seem they could easily make bags/pouches to fit in the reusable filters. A permanent cup could be built in as part of the machine. The overall ease and convenience of K-cups is what keeps the $$$$$$$ rolling in. So they'll be looking into keeping this advantage while aiming for the other "green" goal. If in fact the present owners are actually interested in Sylvan's idea.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:38 AM

16,368 posts, read 30,094,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
It would seem they could easily make bags to fit in the reusable filters. The overall ease and convenience of K-cups is what keeps the $$$$$$$ rolling in. So they'll be looking into keeping this advantage while aiming for the other "green" goal. If in fact the present owners are actually interested in Sylvan's idea.

They have designed the 2nd generation pods in a manner to insure that you cannot use the 1st generation pods. You can be assured that they will continue to reconfigure the pods on new generation products in such a way that the patent NEVER expires.

They have no interest in recyclables as they make all of their money selling what is charitably $0.05 worth of coffee for $0.45+.

By the way, some of the vending Keurig machines actually "capture" the used pod in a container so that the folks in the office lose their "reusable" pods.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:39 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,376,397 times
I wasn't thrilled when my husband bought a machine for a number of reasons - environmental, they aren't really cost effective, took up counter space. Plus I'm concerned about how long water sits in the system (germs)

The Best Gourmet Coffee From a Family Coffee Company

Anyway, I'd recommend San Francisco Bay coffee. We by the big box at costco but they sell smaller and different flavors thru their website. The bottom part of the cup is like coffee filter material, the whole thing is 97% biodegradable.

We gave various refillable cups a go but found them more work than just brewing a half or quarter pot in the drip maker.....

Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,964,590 times
I really don't get those things. They're huge, expensive, need cleaning and potentially maintenance. Give me a simple over-the-cup cone filter system or a French press any day. Down with senseless gadgetry!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,376,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I really don't get those things. They're huge, expensive, need cleaning and potentially maintenance. Give me a simple over-the-cup cone filter system or a French press any day. Down with senseless gadgetry!
Im with you. The husband was really hot to get one so I gave in..... What i really dont get is the tea and coco k-cups - how is that any easier than simple bagged tea?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:46 AM

114,841 posts, read 65,536,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
They have designed the 2nd generation pods in a manner to insure that you cannot use the 1st generation pods. You can be assured that they will continue to reconfigure the pods on new generation products in such a way that the patent NEVER expires.

They have no interest in recyclables as they make all of their money selling what is charitably $0.05 worth of coffee for $0.45+.

By the way, some of the vending Keurig machines actually "capture" the used pod in a container so that the folks in the office lose their "reusable" pods.
Of course. I can see the inventor who got a measly $50,000 for his invention having remorse for selling and/or creating this monster. Proprietary lock-in on sales is the name of the game. It's not likely the present owners will strive for recyclables over profits.

Our machines are at least 4 years old. It's doubtful we would have ever purchased them. They were gifts to my wife and BIL as caretakers of sorts to a former neighbors mother. We did purchase a single cup version for our boys. I figure a cup of coffee costs about 60 cent on up. We use only distilled water to lengthen the life of the machine. I can't see those wasting money at Starbucks but they do. So there are plenty willing to pay for the convenience of whatever perceived novelty of such things.

They do spoil those who have them though and the machines do hold up well.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,275,074 times
Best thing I ever did for my health, my waistline, and the environment was to make tap water poured into a glass from the kitchen cabinet my drink of choice.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,330,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Best thing I ever did for my health, my waistline, and the environment was to make tap water poured into a glass from the kitchen cabinet my drink of choice.
coffee isn't fattening if you drink it black.

To the topic: I don't buy those disposable cups. Expensive and contributes to the landfill. I use the washable cup to put the grounds in to make a hot cup of coffee.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,867,138 times
I was just shopping for a small coffee maker this morning. Looked at the keurig ones, but decided on a MUCH less expensive machine that just takes coffee grounds. One woman suggested getting a reusable tea/coffee sack (she made hers from muslin, but they do sell them as well) and use it. Easy clean up, can be used forever and totally biodegradable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink