U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,952,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
I am having fun guessing how old people are based on their posts. I was born in 1960, and I remember most things discussed here. With the exception of good cafeteria food. We were too poor to buy our lunches. We took PB&J, ham or bologna sandwiches to school. But the kids that did buy from the caf, said it was gross.
Yes, in addition to when, I'm wondering where people grew up, because I don't remember school cafeterias serving food until high school. We went home for lunch for an hour. We moved a lot but always seemed to live across the street from school (not sure if mum planned it that way or if that's just the way it worked out), but some poor kids had to virtually run a mile to go home for lunch. Poor children must have raced in the door, grabbed a sandwich & eaten it on the way back to school. Can't imagine how they managed in the icy, snowy, rainy, cold weather we had often.

What I mainly recall is being given 5-cents for the candy store after lunch on the way back to school. In the home in which we lived the longest, a candy store was attached to the front of our house. How wonderful for a kid. 1-penny bought 5 candies, some rare times, just 3 candies/penny. All kids returned to school with a small bag filled with candy. Despite all that sugar, I don't recall kids acting up in those days, ever.

Except for those pricey mall candy stores, no stand alone candy stores seem to exist any longer... well, I've never come across any in my travels. Candy lipsticks & Swedish fish aren't the same candy today. My mouth still waters when I think of a bag filled with 25 of the aforementioned, plus Mary Janes, Bazooka bubble gum & Tootsie Rolls. I recall the lads buying baseball trading cards with a wide, flat gum inside & trading them with each other, often 'gambling' during a game of 'pennies'. What those cards would be worth today! My 4 brothers had hundreds... oh & hundreds of comic books, too... not sure which ones, but they read them constantly & had foot high piles all over their room, next to their hand-held transistor radios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 04:26 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,501,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i dont remember flavor-aid

i think there was a syrup ....flavor kids drink called,,,zarex?? or something like that,,,it'd be gross by todays standards,,,but it wasnt bad... back then

<snipped>
Yup. My mom got large bottles of the syrup. One day, when I was about 8 or 9, I wanted to make some, so I got the very heavy glass jug out of the fridge ... and dropped it. It smashed on the floor, sticky lemon syrup everywhere. I completely panicked, sure that I would be killed when my parents got home and found out. It was such a huge mess that I wasn't sure I'd be able to clean it up well enough. At that moment arrived a knight in shining armor who magically cleaned up the mess and rescued me. Well, actually, that knight was my grandfather in a Chevy pickup, but he did help me clean it up and buffered the wrath of the parental units.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,501,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Yes, in addition to when, I'm wondering where people grew up, because I don't remember school cafeterias serving food until high school. We went home for lunch for an hour. We moved a lot but always seemed to live across the street from school (not sure if mum planned it that way or if that's just the way it worked out), but some poor kids had to virtually run a mile to go home for lunch. Poor children must have raced in the door, grabbed a sandwich & eaten it on the way back to school. Can't imagine how they managed in the icy, snowy, rainy, cold weather we had often.

What I mainly recall is being given 5-cents for the candy store after lunch on the way back to school. In the home in which we lived the longest, a candy store was attached to the front of our house. How wonderful for a kid. 1-penny bought 5 candies, some rare times, just 3 candies/penny. All kids returned to school with a small bag filled with candy. Despite all that sugar, I don't recall kids acting up in those days, ever.

Except for those pricey mall candy stores, no stand alone candy stores seem to exist any longer... well, I've never come across any in my travels. Candy lipsticks & Swedish fish aren't the same candy today. My mouth still waters when I think of a bag filled with 25 of the aforementioned, plus Mary Janes, Bazooka bubble gum & Tootsie Rolls. I recall the lads buying baseball trading cards with a wide, flat gum inside & trading them with each other, often 'gambling' during a game of 'pennies'. What those cards would be worth today! My 4 brothers had hundreds... oh & hundreds of comic books, too... not sure which ones, but they read them constantly & had foot high piles all over their room, next to their hand-held transistor radios.
I was born in 1963 and was born & raised in SE Pennsylvania. I remember going to the little market not far from our house and getting candy and Jiffy Pop, which I always begged for. I liked candy necklaces/bracelets, Pixie Stix, wax lips, candy cigarettes, Dots ... probably lots of stuff I'm forgetting.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:31 PM

34,563 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post
OMG ! Those bisquits are still around , but now you unroll the label until they pop open - always scares the crap outta me !

LOL I went to grade school in Queens, NY and we ALWAYS had butter on our school lunch sandwiches - even without a sandwhich the bread had loads of real butter on it now that I think about it !

Does anybody remember the candies shaped like little bottles that had sugary colored liquid in them ?
Or candied wax RED lips and harmonicas ? How about those paper strips like straws with powdered , flavored sugar ?

We used to get a lot of food from a place called Gouz - rhymes with cows - was part of their advertising , I remember going there, riding in the back of my grandfathers' station wagon with the other kids no seat belt lol the nervous nellies woulda had him in jail today !

Well at Gouz we would get milk in glass bottles that that my mom used to pour out the top for my parents coffee and use the remainder for us kids , and whenever she made fresh hamburgers she used to give us a little RAW meat funny , we never got sick - but I wouldn't try that now !
The waxy bottles with liquid in them were Lick m Aid (not sure of the spelling).
I'm afraid of Crescent Rolls. I always make my husband open them.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 PM

192 posts, read 110,101 times
Just chiming in to say I'm glad I could inspire this thread. :-)

For what it's worth, I'll gladly take the old-school, full fat options over the stuff "Nutritional Nellies" want us to eat any day!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I was born in 1963 and was born & raised in SE Pennsylvania. I remember going to the little market not far from our house and getting candy and Jiffy Pop, which I always begged for. I liked candy necklaces/bracelets, Pixie Stix, wax lips, candy cigarettes, Dots ... probably lots of stuff I'm forgetting.
and the dots on paper,,,the squirrel nut candies, mint julip and banana little squares...
and lifesavers,,,i remember the gift box of lifesavers some kid got under the tree in elementery school,,, (we drew names and swapped gifts) i got a box of licorice dots....the movie candy,,which was good,,but three teeth came out chewing them!!

someone mentioned swedish fish,,,i use to love those!!
and those atomic hot balls,,,,they'd burn your lips..

marathon candy bar,,,,,was my fav.... dont see them around any longer..

those waxy little liquid bottles,,,, we'd be spitting that wax all over the place.. sugar daddy bars.....caramel...those were good...as were the little taffy bars....

caps,,we use to love banging the caps,,throwing rocks on whole rolls or the whole box for a bigger bang

Old 04-07-2014, 06:47 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,904,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Yes, in addition to when, I'm wondering where people grew up, because I don't remember school cafeterias serving food until high school. We went home for lunch for an hour. We moved a lot but always seemed to live across the street from school (not sure if mum planned it that way or if that's just the way it worked out), but some poor kids had to virtually run a mile to go home for lunch.
Our house was 25 miles from the nearest school. That would be a long run .

Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,642,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
and lifesavers,,,i remember the gift box of lifesavers some kid got under the tree in elementery school,,, (we drew names and swapped gifts) i got a box of licorice dots....the movie candy,,which was good,,but three teeth came out chewing them!!
I just wish I could find a packet of Mrs. Curie's sugar-frosted Rad-E-Yum Chips. I really miss those.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 PM

16,935 posts, read 19,680,616 times
Jello pudding pops, I miss those. gum cigars, gum cigarettes, razzles,deplha rolls (cherry licorice that came in a roll) Mary Jane's, Manhattan special coffee soda, Fresca, Diet Rite cola, Mello Yellow soda, Junket, Table talk pies.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 PM

51,240 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I just wish I could find a packet of Mrs. Curie's sugar-frosted Rad-E-Yum Chips. I really miss those.
LOL, good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or