U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 PM

10,403 posts, read 7,478,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
McDonald's fries used to be cooked in beef tallow....yummmmm!
Nothing better!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 07:56 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,642,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Nothing better!!
Then you have never had pomme frites fried in duck fat. Tallow? That's for amateurs. I'm thinking of rendering the fat out of bone marrow and frying potatoes in that for a change of pace.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,218,376 times
Eating breakfast on Saturday mornings with Wild Bill Hickok.

"Oh, the Pops are sweeter and the taste is new. They're shot with sugar, through and through. . . . Kellogg's Sugar Corn Pops - Sugar Pops are tops!"

Old 04-08-2014, 02:02 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,813,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I remember my grandmother getting soda in glass bottles delivered. Hammer was the brand. My favorite was the cream and root beer. My grandmother loved the black cherry. I also remember her drinking No-Cal soda. It was a diet soda. We used to get seltzer delivered in glass bottles but we stopped that after 1 year. Got too expensive. My husband's grandmother couldn't have coffee due to thyroid issues so she drank Postum.
Postum is still around, but it's ridiculously expensive now.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:04 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I could almost taste the chocolate milk you were describing Mrs Skeffington even though it's been YEARS! The chocolate milk was oh so good from the local dairy!!

I now also remember the Funny Face packets now that someone posted what they looked like!! I always loved picking them out!

How about Fluffernutter sandwiches?? We also had a local "pop" shop where we could go and pick all sorts of different flavored soda pops and load up our crate with them! Gosh good times back then!! And yes....all the kids were always walking or biking from sun up to sun down!

Soda was a treat at our house - we only had it for picnics or Christmas. I remember going to the beer/soda distributor and picking out a couple of six packs of A Treat glass returnable bottles (this was Eastern Penna.) So many flavors to choose from! Cream, orange, grapefruit, sasparilla, birch beer... Most of the time we were encouraged to drink water, but my friend's mother always had a pitcher of sweet tea in the refrigerator. She made the best iced tea I ever tasted. It had lots of real sugar, of course, that we burned off playing outside.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:54 AM

51,245 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Grew up in northern NJ in the 1960s, small town before it got built up and swallowed up by the NY metro sprawl. We always had a hot lunch program. A few kids went home for lunch if they lived close to the school, and those of us who brown-bagged ate in the classroom.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:32 AM

1,270 posts, read 1,252,493 times
JustUOTE=in_newengland;34238623]Hmmm, I never knew about those sweeteners back in those days. I do remember Sugar Twin though. We very seldom drank soda and if we did it was ginger ale or Coke. Never heard of Funny Face. My younger sisters had cool aid--it was horrible and it came in neon colors. I'm glad I was almost grown up by then. We drank Zarex ?? for a little while. It was a syrup that you mixed with water. It tasted only slightly better than cool aid. An at home drink treat would be chocolate milk made with Bosco.

A well balanced meal (judging from my mother's old cookbooks) was something like meatloaf, mashed potato, canned green beans, and boiled carrots. With those bisquits in a tube that you slammed against the counter top to make them explode open. (What on earth were they??) And piles of butter on everything. Meat always had gravy. Whole milk with every meal and with cookies after school. We ALWAYS had bisquits or muffins or banana bread--all the time, or maybe just plain bread and butter with every meal. That's something you don't have with every meal today. Made with whole milk--not rice milk!

HOLLYWOOD Bread. I think that was it.[/quote]

Hmmm... sounds like growing up in my family. . Hey believe or not many people still eat this way... I do.. The difference is we had gardens, therfore more veggies. .I still eat a lot of veggies. In many cases some people are reverting back to simpler times, that came from childhood memories..

There are many people who can only afford canned veggies and have to settle for that. Not everyone can afford to be a cutting edge foodie. ..

Just saying. .. my pocketbook dictates what's going on my kitchen table. The local grocery store sale on meat says what's on the grill. ..

Old 04-08-2014, 09:25 AM

17,575 posts, read 21,763,821 times
Roquefort salad and green goddess salad dressings. The first was a type of blue cheese. The second, a green dressing made with herbs. I loved them both, but now days we use oil and vinegar.

Also, I don't see either of those around much.

Another thing I remember in those little glass jars of cheese spread made by Kraft. You could use them as juice glasses afterwards. My favorite had pimiento in it. I liked it on Triscuits or celery sticks.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:02 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Another thing I remember in those little glass jars of cheese spread made by Kraft. You could use them as juice glasses afterwards. My favorite had pimiento in it. I liked it on Triscuits or celery sticks.
Oh yeah! I remember those glasses! They were smooth at the top and had an etched pattern at the bottom!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:12 AM

15,629 posts, read 8,749,121 times
When I was a kid a popular party dish was a dip made from an entire block of Velveeta. I liked it at the time, but I can't imagine eating it today. My tastes have changed. I became a mostly vegetarian about twenty years ago, and I really do prefer fresh foods, simply cooked, with minimal dressing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or