U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 05:59 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My mom's side of the family does an amazing chopped liver. It's my grandmother's recipe I think. Uses hard boiled egg. Or cracker meal? We ground the liver with this funky looking hand-crank cast-iron grinder that we'd take out and sit on the kitchen counter, with a bowl under where the "strings" would come out. We'd put the egg in the chute as well and grind it all up together. It's the only way I will eat boiled eggs. I can't stand the smell of sulphur and boiled eggs reek of it.

I don't know anyone who grinds their own meat, and most people would think the idea of eating chopped liver is disgusting (even though many of those people like pate - which is - you guessed it - chopped liver). And I think last week's latest food-health trend was to lambast organ meats. It's definitely fallen out of favor among the nutrition gurus, but it's still a favorite to me.
i grind my own meat,,, i have for years,,i know what it is..

when supermarkets went to percentages on burger,,,most are using either case-ready (from huge batches,,then shipped in) or what they call pre-processed tube burger,,thats all pre-determined fat/lean ratio
not the old fashioned real bench trimmings..

i use to grind liver for ladys that would ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 PM

51,195 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Roquefort salad and green goddess salad dressings. The first was a type of blue cheese. The second, a green dressing made with herbs. I loved them both, but now days we use oil and vinegar.

Also, I don't see either of those around much.

Another thing I remember in those little glass jars of cheese spread made by Kraft. You could use them as juice glasses afterwards. My favorite had pimiento in it. I liked it on Triscuits or celery sticks.
This is so weird. I just thought of Green Goddess dressing the other day. I haven't thought about it in years, and then you mention it, too!

I liked it when I was a kid, but I have no idea what was in it.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Not to thread jack, but if you like beef tallow fries and dislike duck then you have never had duck prepared properly. Find someplace that does Peking Duck correctly and give it another try.
That's OK, I started the thread and I'll stay off topic with you for one.

I had duck at a Portuguese restaurant. The skin was very crispy. It was SOOO good.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My mom's side of the family does an amazing chopped liver. It's my grandmother's recipe I think. Uses hard boiled egg. Or cracker meal? We ground the liver with this funky looking hand-crank cast-iron grinder that we'd take out and sit on the kitchen counter, with a bowl under where the "strings" would come out. We'd put the egg in the chute as well and grind it all up together. It's the only way I will eat boiled eggs. I can't stand the smell of sulphur and boiled eggs reek of it.

I don't know anyone who grinds their own meat, and most people would think the idea of eating chopped liver is disgusting (even though many of those people like pate - which is - you guessed it - chopped liver). And I think last week's latest food-health trend was to lambast organ meats. It's definitely fallen out of favor among the nutrition gurus, but it's still a favorite to me.
My mother still has one of them.

When we were kids, she used it to grind up the remains of Sunday's roast beef, which she would then mix with mayonnaise and put on our sandwiches for school. It was good, too!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 PM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
When I was a kid a popular party dish was a dip made from an entire block of Velveeta. I liked it at the time, but I can't imagine eating it today. My tastes have changed. I became a mostly vegetarian about twenty years ago, and I really do prefer fresh foods, simply cooked, with minimal dressing up.

I remember that dip! The one we made also had a jar of salsa. I thought it was delicious. Just zap it in the microwave. and stir. Was yours like that?

I eat differently now too. Also a vegetarian. But I might still like that one.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 PM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is so weird. I just thought of Green Goddess dressing the other day. I haven't thought about it in years, and then you mention it, too!

I liked it when I was a kid, but I have no idea what was in it.

That is weird. I also don't know what was in it. I did like it at the time. But I loved creamy, thick dressings them. I'm more of a thin dressing person now.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:27 PM

15,547 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I remember that dip! The one we made also had a jar of salsa. I thought it was delicious. Just zap it in the microwave. and stir. Was yours like that?

I eat differently now too. Also a vegetarian. But I might still like that one.
The version I remember had sausage in it and was served warm from a crockpot. Just thinking about it now makes me want to heave, but it was a favorite at the neighborhood pot lucks of my youth.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
When I was a kid a popular party dish was a dip made from an entire block of Velveeta. .
What's wrong with Rotel dip? I still make it. A box of Velveeta and two cans of Rotel in the crockpot on low. I make it every time I make chili!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 PM

15,547 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
What's wrong with Rotel dip? I still make it. A box of Velveeta and two cans of Rotel in the crockpot on low. I make it every time I make chili!
As I stated above, the dip I remember had sausage in it, no Rotel, and was also served warm from a crockpot. Today, I can't imagine eating it. Holds no appeal at all for me, but please don't take it personally.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-08-2014 at 09:50 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 09:37 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,310,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Lard.

I used to love coconut oil popcorn as my guilty secret. Now they have decided coconut oil is good for you. I hope the same thing happens with lard, but I'm not holding my breath.
No need to hold your breath. There have been several threads about the subject. Lard IS good now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or