U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 10:02 PM

1,401 posts, read 2,001,273 times

Advertisements

Most of what is being blasted for "Nutritional Nellie" have fallen out of foodie/guru favour long ago.

Anything natural (animal fats, sugar as a sweetener, organ meat, butter, and other "basics") are in favour and processed substitutes are OUT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Most of what is being blasted for "Nutritional Nellie" have fallen out of foodie/guru favour long ago.
Ummm .... I think that's the whole point.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 AM

358 posts, read 396,762 times
Sugar Corn Pops were awesome. Sugar Smacks too. I can still remember how they smelled when you opened the box.

This is a little later, but who remembers Frankenberry cereal? They still make Count Chocula, but I liked Frankenberry. Based on a cartoon show, of course. One of the first cross-marketing projects, I guess.

I used to get up so early on Saturday, pour a bowl of Sugar Pops with real milk and park it in front of the TV for cartoons, Beanie and Cecil, Jonny Quest, Superboy, Shazzan, Space Ghost.

Here's a site youse might like: Old Fashioned and Retro Candy - Home of Candy you ate as a kid®

We had hot lunches at school, but they were often nasty. Spanish rice with big chunks of cooked tomato. I used to puke that up. I would take a lunch for a while until I got tired of making it and then do school lunch until I couldn't stand it. Back and forth.

Sugar Daddies, Sugar Mommas and Sugar Babies. Blackjack gum. Peaberry gum.

I was the fat kid. But I still rode my bike everywhere.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:45 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
Sugar Corn Pops were awesome. Sugar Smacks too. I can still remember how they smelled when you opened the box.

This is a little later, but who remembers Frankenberry cereal? They still make Count Chocula, but I liked Frankenberry. Based on a cartoon show, of course. One of the first cross-marketing projects, I guess.

I used to get up so early on Saturday, pour a bowl of Sugar Pops with real milk and park it in front of the TV for cartoons, Beanie and Cecil, Jonny Quest, Superboy, Shazzan, Space Ghost.

Here's a site youse might like: Old Fashioned and Retro Candy - Home of Candy you ate as a kid®

We had hot lunches at school, but they were often nasty. Spanish rice with big chunks of cooked tomato. I used to puke that up. I would take a lunch for a while until I got tired of making it and then do school lunch until I couldn't stand it. Back and forth.

i loved sugar corned pops...and sugar smacks..

i dont buy them today cause id eat the whole box

i remember the commercials for count chocula and frankenberry and fruity pebbles,,,but my parents didnt buy much of this good stuff,,,we'd be stuck with the shredded wheat that would look like a hay bale..

but when i was in my early 20's in my own place, i bought all the old favorites and lined the cupboards..

i remember sleepovers...as kids,,,and some of the kids,,,,wanted to go to certain houses that had the best food- all the nutrition nellie moms-kids,,,knew what the other kids had to eat- and would love going over to eat the sugar pops..
i remember a bunch of kids slept out in a tent in our back yard and we had pizza for dinner and i think it was table talk pies for dessert ,,,those kids went nuts ...loved it - we had two nutritional nellie moms in the neighborhood...they meant well, but the poor kids,,,one of the kids would almost be crying-never had ice cream, never had much sweets-

on one of my sons birthdays, a nutrional nellie mom brought her son over, dropped him off for the birthday party and his mother made it very clear, her son wasnt to have any birthday cake or "anything" with sugar,,he wasnt diabetic or anything ,,
i asked to speak to her by her car,,,i said why would you even bring him over without giving him any alternative to eat??? just so he could watch the other kids eat? I said all the other kids will be eating cake and ice cream " i said this is just cruel.. then she said she didnt want her son to play with a squirt gun either , because it was still a gun...

i did promise her i would not give her son any cake or ice cream..just so he could stay...he was already out with the other kids ....the kid had no allergies or eating disorders

i took the kid aside and said what else would he like to eat if he had to pick anything,,,he said a hot dog ,,, i said ok,,,you will have a hot dog.. he thanked me and whispered,,,just dont tell my mom,,,the kid was almost in tears.
he ate the hot dogs and loved them....and maybe some girl gave him a bite of cake,,i didnt see it,,
i always felt sorry for this kid from that point on...

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 04-09-2014 at 02:09 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 01:53 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
I still remember when sallets were served. Of course, we had to remove our armour before dining.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:31 AM

358 posts, read 396,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

i remember the commercials for count chocula and frankenberry and fruity pebbles,,,but my parents didnt buy much of this good stuff,,,we'd be stuck with the shredded wheat that would look like a hay bale..

but when i was in my early 20's in my own place, i bought all the old favorites and lined the cupboards..

i remember sleepovers...as kids,,,and some of the kids,,,,wanted to go to certain houses that had the best food- all the nutrition nellie moms-kids,,,knew what the other kids had to eat- and would love going over to eat the sugar pops..
i remember a bunch of kids slept out in a tent in our back yard and we had pizza for dinner and i think it was table talk pies for dessert ,,,those kids went nuts ...loved it - we had two nutritional nellie moms in the neighborhood...they meant well, but the poor kids,,,one of the kids would almost be crying-never had ice cream, never had much sweets-

on one of my sons birthdays, a nutrional nellie mom brought her son over, dropped him off for the birthday party and his mother made it very clear, her son wasnt to have any birthday cake or "anything" with sugar,,he wasnt diabetic or anything ,,
i asked to speak to her by her car,,,i said why would you even bring him over without giving him any alternative to eat??? just so he could watch the other kids eat? I said all the other kids will be eating cake and ice cream " i said this is just cruel.. then she said she didnt want her son to play with a squirt gun either , because it was still a gun...

i did promise her i would not give her son any cake or ice cream..just so he could stay...he was already out with the other kids ....the kid had no allergies or eating disorders

i took the kid aside and said what else would he like to eat if he had to pick anything,,,he said a hot dog ,,, i said ok,,,you will have a hot dog.. he thanked me and whispered,,,just dont tell my mom,,,the kid was almost in tears.
he ate the hot dogs and loved them....and maybe some girl gave him a bite of cake,,i didnt see it,,
That breaks my heart. To be a kid and not get any ice cream. Life is so short....

Howard Johson's used to have the best peppermint stick ice cream.

Chocolate Bam-bams!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:33 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post

There was also "Boo Berry" (a ghost) and "Fruit Brute" (a werewolf). A little bit off topic, but I nicknamed the attorneys and associates at a law firm where I worked after those cereal characters. "Count Chocula" was the tall, dark, somber looking attorney..."Boo Berry" was the stuffy, short, pudgy pale guy..."Frankenberry" was tall, overweight, homely looking and doofus...and "Fruit Brute" was the other secretary who was a real B**CH who probably howled at the full moon.

Oh, those Saturday morning cartoons! There was stuff affiliated to the Hanna Barbera cartoons that you could send for with cereal box tops and 25 cents. I had Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear cereal spoons. I had (and still have, somewhere) a set of Sherry Lewis plastic finger puppets (Lamb Chop, Hush Puppy, and the donkey, whatever his name was). There were cool toys enclosed in those sugar coated cereals. My mother would just dump the cereal in a mixing bowl to pull out the toy to save the box from being mangled up.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:44 AM

6,191 posts, read 14,724,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I still remember when sallets were served. Of course, we had to remove our armour before dining.
I see what you did there.

I googled Green Goddess dressing and according to Wiki Kraft still makes it in "limited quantities." There's also many DIY recipes for it. Sounds really good!

Green goddess dressing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-09-2014, 04:47 AM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That is weird. I also don't know what was in it. I did like it at the time. But I loved creamy, thick dressings them. I'm more of a thin dressing person now.
Same here. My current favorite is a pear vinaigrette.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:54 AM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

I remember my younger brothers having the Frankenberry cereal. I'm like that with Reese's Puffs. I can't buy them because I will eat the entire box.

That poor kid. What is wrong with some of these mothers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or