U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 06:05 AM

11,702 posts, read 13,167,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We used to get milk delivered by a milkman. It was whole milk in glass bottles with cream on the top. We didn't ever use margarine, only butter. There was no such thing as diet soda. We had desserts available all the time. Nobody was fat, either. I guess it was because we walked everywhere.
Same menu here, and for awhile the milkman even delivered with a horse-drawn van. And we walked everywhere...in fact, we didn't even own a car until I was in Jr. H.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 AM

7,931 posts, read 10,221,480 times
We had a place down street that used to make sodas for us as teenagers. They sold old fashioned candy, too. Building was ancient and pretty scruffy, dirty. But, an old couple owned it and the teenagers hung out there. The kids harassed the old couple actually, looking back. Maybe it went both ways. The old guy would chase the worst ones w/ a broom or mop or whatever he had handy in front of the store when they aggravated him too much or he wanted them gone.
Chocolate sodas were popular. Putting in the syrup in the carbonated water, the whole nine yards. I doubt these sodas were even bacteria free! The way they cleaned the glasses? Had a pail of soapy water and put the glass in there swishing it around w/ a rag that's seen better days(I can remember that one), then either rinsed it from the faucet or another pail of "clean" water. We didn't care! When you're 13-14, that's the least of your concerns.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:17 AM

693 posts, read 750,468 times
I currently have a box of Fruit Brute in my cupboard. It is ok, but doesn't compare to my Cap'n Crunch with crunchberries. So a lot of these products are still out there, but most adults have changed their eating habits and don't go looking for them.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:36 AM

282 posts, read 287,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My mom's side of the family does an amazing chopped liver. It's my grandmother's recipe I think. Uses hard boiled egg. Or cracker meal? We ground the liver with this funky looking hand-crank cast-iron grinder that we'd take out and sit on the kitchen counter, with a bowl under where the "strings" would come out. We'd put the egg in the chute as well and grind it all up together. It's the only way I will eat boiled eggs. I can't stand the smell of sulphur and boiled eggs reek of it.

I don't know anyone who grinds their own meat, and most people would think the idea of eating chopped liver is disgusting (even though many of those people like pate - which is - you guessed it - chopped liver). And I think last week's latest food-health trend was to lambast organ meats. It's definitely fallen out of favor among the nutrition gurus, but it's still a favorite to me.
Hahahaha

Guess they forgot that liver is the highest form of iron you can eat - NOTHING compares to it !

If you have iron deficiency or are donating blood , you should eat a lot of it .

Gotta try that boiled egg mix , never thought of that .

Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 AM

15,995 posts, read 8,905,567 times
Liver was the one thing my mother refused to serve when I was growing up. She has very bad memories of liver & onion dinners from her childhood. My MIL thinks liver is divine.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 AM

4,751 posts, read 6,190,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
. Now they have decided coconut oil is good for you. I hope the same thing happens with lard, but I'm not holding my breath.
Like some other poster said, lard is the now the new "darling" of the food world. They (who are "they"?) have decided it's better for you than all the hydrogenated stuff.

Maybe with all the lard hype going on, Mickey D's will decide to start frying their fries in lard! That would be better than what they use now!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 AM

8,300 posts, read 9,168,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Yes, in addition to when, I'm wondering where people grew up, because I don't remember school cafeterias serving food until high school. We went home for lunch for an hour. We moved a lot but always seemed to live across the street from school (not sure if mum planned it that way or if that's just the way it worked out), but some poor kids had to virtually run a mile to go home for lunch. Poor children must have raced in the door, grabbed a sandwich & eaten it on the way back to school. Can't imagine how they managed in the icy, snowy, rainy, cold weather we had often.

What I mainly recall is being given 5-cents for the candy store after lunch on the way back to school. In the home in which we lived the longest, a candy store was attached to the front of our house. How wonderful for a kid. 1-penny bought 5 candies, some rare times, just 3 candies/penny. All kids returned to school with a small bag filled with candy. Despite all that sugar, I don't recall kids acting up in those days, ever.

Except for those pricey mall candy stores, no stand alone candy stores seem to exist any longer... well, I've never come across any in my travels. Candy lipsticks & Swedish fish aren't the same candy today. My mouth still waters when I think of a bag filled with 25 of the aforementioned, plus Mary Janes, Bazooka bubble gum & Tootsie Rolls. I recall the lads buying baseball trading cards with a wide, flat gum inside & trading them with each other, often 'gambling' during a game of 'pennies'. What those cards would be worth today! My 4 brothers had hundreds... oh & hundreds of comic books, too... not sure which ones, but they read them constantly & had foot high piles all over their room, next to their hand-held transistor radios.
I started school in 1948, in Tucson, AZ and my school had a cafeteria. I always took my lunch though and it rarely varied...PB&J, apple and cookies. I was given 2 cents a day for a 1/2 pint of milk and Mom gave me 5 cents to buy an ice cream after school. She would tie the money in the corner of a handkerchief and put it in my book bag. Which always smelled like PB&J and apple! lol I went to schools in AZ and So Cal and they all had cafeterias but I rarely ever bought lunch.

When I was in second grade there was a small store up the street that sold candy, school supplies and other 'good stuff'. I loved wandering around in there and remember all the candy you mentioned. I liked those little wax bottles with, probably, Kool-Aid in them.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I remember as a child camping with family in Canada. We would get margarine that had a capsule of yellow dye in it that you would poke to color the margarine by mixing in the dye.
I remember that from when I was five! It was my 'job' to 'massage' that little yellow pill till the 'butter' became yellow. Thinking back on it it's really kinda gross. lol

Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
wow,,this takes me back..i remember grape bubble yum in 7-8 grade sitting behind a girl that used "gee your hair smells terrific" shampoo that smelled up the room.

yes, i remember that blow up stuff,,,it did have a particular odor,,,that was up their with silly string, couldnt use it in the house..
I remember that "blow up" stuff too. If I recall it smelled a lot like nail polish remover!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 AM

6,406 posts, read 6,536,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I remember that "blow up" stuff too. If I recall it smelled a lot like nail polish remover!
Super Elastic Bubble Plastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or