Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 07:09 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i just find little things quite interesting...
i havent heard someone having an icebox in ages..

years ago i use to ask the old timers about their childhoods-if they had electricity, indoor plumbing , one room schoolhouses, etc and many would say they had an icebox

and what was on the dinner menu depended sometimes on what they could shoot after school in the woods -whether it was squirrel, deer, rabbits, etc
My father called the refrigerator "the icebox" all of his life. He also called the stereo "the Victrola".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:17 AM

358 posts, read 512,376 times
I love cottage cheese, but only if it's 4% milkfat and doesn't have all the junk like xantham gum and all that. Breakstone, Daisy and Kalona are all good and clean.

We had a ringer washer in my house growing up. It was electric, but it was a drag. Not just one, when the old one broke down Dad found a new one. No timer, you let the wash run about 20 minutes or so, then drained the water and did a rinse or two. Clothes came out clean enough, but the wrinkles were terrible. If the weather was nice we hung clothes outside to dry, which made them a little more smoothed out and they smelled great, but otherwise they hung in the basement.

My Mom got a breast caught in the ringer once. I bet that hurt!

Nehi sodapop had all the flavors. Grape, cherry, orange.

Popsicles! The ones with two sides. We had them all the time. I loved the unusual flavors like white lemon and blue raspberry. After that was banana and root beer.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:34 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My DH never tasted candy until he was in first grade, about 7 years old. He and his siblings weren't allowed to have sweets or sugar...they only had cake with frosting on their birthday. They were vegetarian also - weren't allowed to have meat. Never any snacks between meals. Never any "junk". They never went trick or treating at Halloween or had an Easter Basket of candy. She was one of the first "Nutrition Nelllies", still is. Dessert at her house (if we had it) was usually a sugarless apple pie or tofu pumpkin pie with whole wheat curst. We went there for Christmas last year and I brought a pasta dish and
two different kinds of cake. She was shocked that I brought two cakes.
"TWO cakes???" I always prepare two or three different desserts. A typical holiday dessert at MY mother's house is two cakes (a layer cake and a cheese cake), plus three different kinds of pie, three or four kinds of ice cream, Ready Whip... DH goes hog wild. Last Thanksgiving, he put away half a coconut layer cake and an entire pumpkin pie by himself, not to mention a half gallon of butter pecan ice cream. Not at one sitting - he grazed at them for three days.

My kids were allowed to have their fair share of junk food and candy. Halloween and Easter morning were a free for all - the rule was eat what you want, but don't throw up. Now, my oldest daughter vows to raise my grandson sugar free. She says his first birthdaying cake has to be vegan with cashew date icing. Gag.
I'm coming to YOUR mother's house!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Nobody's mentioned cottage cheese - that stuff was very popular in the 1950s and '60s. If you were dieting, a half-cup of cottage cheese and a canned pear half were supposed to be a perfect lunch.

Yep, I was starving in about 30 minutes.

You can still buy it...I guess it's mostly used in lasagnas now.

Sugar Pops and Sugar Smacks...now called Corn Pops and Honey Smacks, expect I think they recently even took the "honey" out of the name. Same stuff, though!
Really? I have a tub of cottage cheese in the fridge right now. We go through about 2 lbs of the stuff a week.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:19 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i just find little things quite interesting...
i havent heard someone having an icebox in ages..

years ago i use to ask the old timers about their childhoods-if they had electricity, indoor plumbing , one room schoolhouses, etc and many would say they had an icebox

and what was on the dinner menu depended sometimes on what they could shoot after school in the woods -whether it was squirrel, deer, rabbits, etc
Maybe because most of us are dead? I grew up in Philadelphia until I was 14 and we were first on our block to have a TV. (Still had the icebox) And we even had a Victrola!

And when I moved to a rural area in Maryland, my cousin and I often went hunting and his Mom would clean and cook whatever we managed to hit - squirrel, rabbit. Never hunted deer. Or bare. We did, once in a while, gig frogs and Aunt would cook the legs. Okay, go ahead and "eewww".

One thing I haven't seen in many a year - it was a cake mix in a box that included the little foil pan to bake it in. Only made one small layer but perfect for a one- or two-person family. Don't remember the brand but I'm pretty sure it was one of the biggies.

Much of what people think is no longer around still exists, just in a different, improved form. Usually it's the brand that went away, and the product was taken up by another manufacturer. Or the brand was absorbed into one of the big conglomerates.

I remember my Grandmother giving me Horlick's Malted Milk tablets. Supposed to be of nutritional value. I know they're still available - I just forget to order them. Maybe I'll do that today...

Last edited by theatergypsy; 04-10-2014 at 08:39 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 08:58 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My father called the refrigerator "the icebox" all of his life. He also called the stereo "the Victrola".
We had:

the Victrola, which was an actual Victrola record player.

the ice-box, which was a stand-alone full-sized freezer

the Fridge, which my great-aunt called the Frigidaire even though it was a GE.

This was only in the 1960's and 1970's so it was long past the days when these terms were "out of fashion."

Then again, my dad was somewhat of an audiophile and I used to listen to recordings of the Wizard of Oz on a Dokorder at night. Dokorder Stereo Tape Deck 7140 R-Player Denki Onkyo Company to see what that thing is. I kept it past childhood and used it to record my own music during a few semesters in college.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:01 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
One thing I haven't seen in many a year - it was a cake mix in a box that included the little foil pan to bake it in. Only made one small layer but perfect for a one- or two-person family.
They have these things called "Warm Delights" that I buy for my daughter every now and then. They're a little cake-like thing, usually with some sort of fudgy drizzle, that can be mixed and baked in the same little pan in the microwave. She loves to have them in the winter time. I've tasted of it, and it's pretty good. I don't eat stuff like that much anymore, though.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post

The very first mammogram!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:18 PM

302 posts, read 368,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I remember wax "cigarettes" or something with sugary liquid in them. Also, the little bottles like that, and weren't there little barrels too?

hummmmm barrels ? root beer candy?

Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 PM

302 posts, read 368,849 times
OOWWWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post

NO ship sherlock !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink