U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 01:52 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,866,219 times

Advertisements

Love all the posts!

I remember my Mom using a wringer washer, just not sure where, maybe my grandmothers? I was really little, like three or four.

I loved my grandmother's chopped chicken liver spread. I wish I could make it, mine never tastes the same.

I remember my first pizza around the age of four or five, I didn't like the crust so I only ate the cheese and sauce. My Dad was livid, it was a real treat and money was tight.

McDonalds was once a month treat. We got a hamburger, fries and a soda.

We never had soda in the house, always iced tea from the big cans of instant powdered.

Mom was single when I was seven and had to work. That was in the seventies when the term 'latch key kids' was coined. Breakfast was Instant breakfast powder mix with real milk, lunch was brought from home, dinner was always home made.

I was twelve when she remarried and a few years later they bought their first house. To stretch the budget to afford the house it was a lot of hamburgers and mac and cheese. Back then she used Velveeta for the m&c.

Once a month we would drive out to Miamarina on a Sunday when the charter boats were coming in. Fresh grouper filleted on the spot for a dollar a pound.

A big treat was when she would buy a hunk of blue cheese and make blue cheese dressing with mayo and sour cream in the blender, it was divine.

There was a Cuban grocery store on Calle Ocho about five blocks from our house. She would send me there when whole chickens were on sale, .29 a pound.

Our Cuban neighbors were a couple that were teachers, they lived there with their three duaghters and their grandmother. Mom swapped recipes with grandmother, that's how she learned arroz con pollo. The grandmother learned marinara sauce. They would always invite us over for flan, Mom never mastered that one. But she was a heckuvah good cook and her pies are way better than mine. Cookies were always homemade.

When they opened a Nathan's hot dog place my step dad went bonkers, he couldn't wait to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 PM

7,945 posts, read 10,229,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Using cottage cheese in place of ricotta was quite common. I do not even remember seeing ricotta cheese in stores until 1985.
I've seen recipes of that, using cottage cheese.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:50 PM

13,755 posts, read 22,965,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know...that brought up a dim memory. A friend of mine moved from NJ to Colorado in the late 70s, and I think she said back then that she couldn't find ricotta out there. We've always had ricotta cheese available in the supermarkets as far as I can recall.

I still can't imagine using cottage cheese in lasagna, though. I just wouldn't make it.

I never discovered ricotta cheese until I moved to Dearborn, MI and all my neighbors were ... Italian grandmothers - literally. It is still not a favorite cheese but I would like to try it in a few dishes with some enhancements.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:52 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,866,219 times
OMG baked ziti with a layer of ricotta in the middle and mozzerella on top, heavenly!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:10 PM

282 posts, read 287,588 times
Default This thread is making me hungry !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
OMG baked ziti with a layer of ricotta in the middle and mozzerella on top, heavenly!

i remember one of my uncles ( who was in the Korean war ) told me that when he was a kid, he was gonna share his lunch with this little girl but she had 'real' meat sandwiches and all my granma gave him was FRIED FATBACK sandwiches
Depression stories are depressing , but guess it didn't hurt him too bad .

Old 04-10-2014, 04:34 PM

16,987 posts, read 19,828,015 times
Alba 77 remember that? It was powdered milk I think for dieters. My MIL made pudding with it. Fried bologna sandwiches were something my mom grew up eating and I used to eat bologna sandwiches with butter. When I think of it now I cringe. I still love bologna but not with butter. Rice A Roni still exists but we had it 2 nights a week. Either chicken or beef flavor and my mom would add 1 stick of butter even though it called for less than that. Haven't had it in years because of the salt content.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:37 PM

6,245 posts, read 7,452,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
They have these things called "Warm Delights" that I buy for my daughter every now and then. They're a little cake-like thing, usually with some sort of fudgy drizzle, that can be mixed and baked in the same little pan in the microwave. She loves to have them in the winter time. I've tasted of it, and it's pretty good. I don't eat stuff like that much anymore, though.
I've had those, Luv, but that isn't the one I mean. The ones you mentioned are good, though. Just not what I had in mind. Mine made a single, rectangular layer, about 6" x 9", and even had a frosting package included. Generous for two people, but big enough that four people could each have a small piece of cake. I think I last saw it back in the '60s

Old 04-10-2014, 06:54 PM

6,245 posts, read 7,452,559 times
I remember a product called Ayds. It was a caramel candy intended for dieters. The premise was that you ate one (or two) before a meal and you would eat less and lose weight(?). This was back in the '50s.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,828,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I remember a product called Ayds. It was a caramel candy intended for dieters. The premise was that you ate one (or two) before a meal and you would eat less and lose weight(?). This was back in the '50s.
Heh it was also in the 70's. I remember the chocolate fudge ones. I went through a phase where I decided I needed to lose weight (a whopping 115 pounds, when I was 5'2" and 15 years old), and mom (who really was overweight - maybe by 30 pounds tops) and I went through like 3 boxes of those things in a week together. Suffice it to say, neither of us lost any weight on that "diet."

Old 04-10-2014, 07:26 PM

16,987 posts, read 19,828,015 times
Speaking of diets anyone remember Estee sugar free products???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or