U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,991,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Geez I can't remember the name of it or the brand I just remember having fun putting it on crackers and such! If it still is around I am surprised....it really didn't taste good even though it was fun to use!

Does anyone remember Cold Duck and then there was that cheap strawberry wine that all of us drank when we weren't supposed to!
Boone's Farm was where we got apple wine.
Was the strawberry Orchard Creek?

What I enjoy even now - is Yago Sangria. I buy it by the gallon jug, pour a quart into a pitcher, add brandy, and fresh fruits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 AM

8,387 posts, read 9,244,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
They don't make Planters or the twix peanut butter with regular cookie it is a chocolate cookie now. If you go online they were both discontinued.
You're right. I checked them out when I went to work yesterday because I got curious.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 PM

15,588 posts, read 15,516,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I'm still trying to figure out when all recipes started beginning with"boneless, skinless chicken breasts". Ugh. I think that was probably in the 80s. Not a fan. I'm glad to see chicken thighs being used more widely (I've always used them).

I remember when you were considered uncivilized to use oil-packed tuna (also the 80s, I believe). I think there was some kind of low fat mania/fat phobia back then I always use tuna in olive oil--it's finally more widely available. The good tuna ventresca has always been in oil. Ever try to make tuna salad with that water-packed crud? You'll never get it to emulsify properly--ever hear of oil & water?

I LOVE chicken thighs...........well, I love all chicken.

Breasts are fine, but very trendy now, the price for breasts is kinda insane.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:59 PM

5,805 posts, read 15,582,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
If you think that's bad, I used to like bologna spread when I was a kid. It was made from ground bologna, sometimes egg or cheddar cheese, sweet pickle relish and mayonnaise. It was often served at parties and picnics.
Sounds good to me!
My dad used to love a late-night snack of potted meat and crackers. I don't think potted meat is available now...or it's called something else.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:02 AM

5,805 posts, read 15,582,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Boone's Farm was where we got apple wine.
Was the strawberry Orchard Creek?

What I enjoy even now - is Yago Sangria. I buy it by the gallon jug, pour a quart into a pitcher, add brandy, and fresh fruits.
Boone's Farm Strawberry Wine - my husband's first drunk! Quite the thing in the early 1970s.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:16 AM

2,824 posts, read 4,374,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Sounds good to me!
My dad used to love a late-night snack of potted meat and crackers. I don't think potted meat is available now...or it's called something else.
Lol--it's still around. We used to eat that years ago, too. I haven't had it in at least 35 years. We also used to eat pickled pigs feet straight from the jar--Mama always kept a jar of those in the fridge.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 AM

4,877 posts, read 8,387,222 times
Smile Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

My parents were pretty frugal and we rarely ate out or got takeout like regular people. I KNOW the very first time I had pizza. I was around 9, and we went to this place that had pizza as part of some Girl Scout event. I remember pretending that I loved pizza beforehand because all the other kids were talking about how they liked pizza from this place or that place, and I realized I was the only girl in the troop who had never tasted pizza. Because I was aware probably by the time I was six that my family was weird, lol, I was already used to pretending to be normal. It worked out just fine. After I ate it, I didn't have to pretend anymore. I loved pizza after that day, and I still do.
My mom made everything from stratch. We did eat out now and then - my dad was in restaurant and country club business. However, I never had pizza either. When I was about 14, my mother made a pizza. It was horrible. Fast forward a couple of years - my first date - football game and then pizza. I was petrified thinking - what am I going to do? I hate pizza. Well, we went to this awesome pizza place in Fort Lauderdale and it was the MOST AMAZING pizza ever. I loved it. Then, I was able to enjoy the evening. LOL. (I told him the story months later - he was a nice first boyfriend to have!)

I still love pizza too!!!

I also remember having a milkman. His name was Mr. Jim, came to house 3 times a week and I think he retired in the 80's. It was Borden. Truly end of an era. Such a nice man too.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:13 AM

13,814 posts, read 23,085,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My mom made everything from stratch. We did eat out now and then - my dad was in restaurant and country club business. However, I never had pizza either. When I was about 14, my mother made a pizza. It was horrible. Fast forward a couple of years - my first date - football game and then pizza. I was petrified thinking - what am I going to do? I hate pizza. Well, we went to this awesome pizza place in Fort Lauderdale and it was the MOST AMAZING pizza ever. I loved it. Then, I was able to enjoy the evening. LOL.

The only pizza that we ever had as a young child was that awful Chef Boy-ar-dee "make at home" stuff. There was never quite enough crust or toppings or anything.

By the time we were teenagers, my father got into the game and would buy those cheap $0.69 Tortino pizzas. Those were also pretty bad. However, he agreed that they were bad and would top them with GOOD ingredients and they were better than most of the pizza places locally. Then, he would let us top our own pizzas ... and that would get interesting.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Status: "if UNTHAW is a word ..i want to UN-AGE ," (set 26 days ago)

17,392 posts, read 22,453,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I LOVE chicken thighs...........well, I love all chicken.

Breasts are fine, but very trendy now, the price for breasts is kinda insane.
you can still buy boneless breasts for 1.99lb in these parts

and that was the sale price 30 yrs ago for bnls breasts

at regular retail-not on sale, bnls reasts can be high... 3.49lb

the organic breasts,,,are just too much,,,i refuse to pay that much for a breast,,-well,, nevermind..

bone in breasts have gone up a bit- just buy them on sale

Old 04-20-2014, 12:56 PM

11 posts, read 19,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yep, I never wanted to go in. I remember my mom calling me and my brother in for dinner and I was surprised it was dinnertime already. Eating was the last thing on my mind.
What did you guys do all day outside? What was a typical day like in each season? esp. summer & winter

I was born in the 80s so I missed everything but the tail end of this era you all fondly remember... I would love a few different people's takes on this - feel free to pm me if it's too off topic!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or