U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:54 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,150,756 times

Advertisements

Oh, yeah, school lunches....red beans & rice and chicken spaghetti were my favorites, and always, every day, a huge white homemade yeast roll!! YUMMMMMM! They still make them for special occasions, but now for everyday meals they're whole wheat (and they don't make them every day....They don't go well with nachos and burgers). Hubby says they're not bad, but still.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 02:22 PM

31,166 posts, read 57,317,340 times
Oh, our school lunches were horrid. The only thing made well was the French dressing for the salads, and now I'd probably think it too sweet. My parents saved a ton of money because I packed my lunch every day.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:35 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,838,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne;3424546}
And school lunches were REAL food, too - not canned/frozen/processed. The cooks would get there early in the morning and actually cook the food from scratch like my mom did. You could smell the bread and the cinnamon rolls rising a couple of hours before lunch and I'd get so hungry and couldn't wait till lunch time. The only thing I can remember hating is when they put those little pearl onions in the green beans. Yuck. I loved green beans, but not with those onions in them! Everything else was wonderful. Homemade brownies, homemade dinner rolls, homemade cinnamon rolls, chili, etc. Back then kids felt sorry for you if you had to bring your lunch (too poor to buy the yummy school lunch). When my kids went to school, they would rather take their lunch than eat the crap served in the cafeteria.
Our school lunches were quite excellent in those years that I went to a school with a cafeteria. All the meals were cooked from scratch, nutritious, and the like. Unfortunately, unless the meals were hamburgers, pizza and the like, most of them went into the garbage can.

Back then, schools bought their OWN food as opposed to the garbage coming from the Federal School Lunch Program which is truly the wirst.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:36 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,728,660 times
I didn't grow up in the US but speaking of school lunches (I went to boarding schools in the UK and had to eat whatever was served...)

Steak & kidney pie.
Liver and onions, often.
Haggis, neeps and tatties.
Sausage rolls.
Fish & chips.
Salad cream sandwiches.
Real butter, whole milk, tinned fish in oil, lots of potatoes....I don't think I encountered "diet" products until I came to the US in 1979 and I found the concept quite weird (still do actually, plus it clearly hasn't worked LOL.)

Almost everyone was skinny, in fact I still remember the name of the single not-skinny classmate of mine because she was such an anomaly. But we all walked a lot, a couple of miles between the hostel and the school 2-3 times per day.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 PM

12,230 posts, read 1,649,048 times
You bought cokes/pop in cartons of glass bottles...no 2 liter bottles, and returned them for the deposit. I don't remember getting cans till later. We would get Diet Rite, Tab, Coca Cola, sometimes Pepsi, but hardly ever Dr Pepper. We got 7up when we were sick. I can remember a brand of pop called "Pomac" that was the "champagne" of sodas...we felt very devilish drinking that as kids, lol.

With dinner it was usually sweet tea or KoolAid.

There weren't endless flavors of potato chips and the only corn chips we got were Fritos (not tortilla chips).

The main condiments were mustard and ketchup.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:38 PM

12,230 posts, read 1,649,048 times
Oh, I forgot. I asked for Roman Meal bread once at the grocery store and my dad asked me why because it was supposed to be for people on a diet, lol. He relented and I liked it much better than white bread.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:47 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

Almost everyone was skinny, in fact I still remember the name of the single not-skinny classmate of mine because she was such an anomaly. But we all walked a lot, a couple of miles between the hostel and the school 2-3 times per day.
Yep, me too. I could tell you her first and last name right now. Looking at a 3rd grade picture now, though, I'm shocked to see she really was NOT fat, just not super skinny like the rest of us. But back then she seemed fat, because no one was really fat like the fat people you see today. So to us, back then, she was fat.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:14 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,728,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yep, me too. I could tell you her first and last name right now. Looking at a 3rd grade picture now, though, I'm shocked to see she really was NOT fat, just not super skinny like the rest of us. But back then she seemed fat, because no one was really fat like the fat people you see today. So to us, back then, she was fat.
Agree completely, and I could too! But I'm not gonna.
And the girl I'm thinking about was maybe a today's size 14, so not really that overweight. But she was the only one who was overweight at all in my class and others I knew.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:40 PM

12,915 posts, read 19,798,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yes, my mom made dessert every night. I forgot about that! Wednesday night was my favorite because she always made chocolate cake on Wednesday. And yes, she always had a can of Crisco. She made homemade egg noodles (yummmm...homemade chicken and noodles), homemade bread. Fried chicken, fried pork chops, fried potatoes and gravy. Wilted leaf salad (with bacon grease) in the summer with lettuce, radishes and onion from the garden. Wish I had someone to cook for me like that now! And no one was fat.

My mom made Kool-Aid and we always had iced tea (sweetened) for dinner in the summer, but we never had pop in the house. Once in a very great while we would get hamburgers to go (Smaks). Fast food was a new thing, something very different, and a special treat. I loved it when we got hamburgers. My dad hated it when dinner was hamburgers from a fast food joint (happened maybe twice during my childhood). He wanted home cooked food. Sometimes we would go get ice cream in the summer. I always had a dilemma because the ice cream made me thirsty and made me want a coke to drink, but I wasn't allowed to have both. I could have a coke OR an ice cream cone. I could have water, but I wanted ice cream AND a coke! I think once I got to get a banana split. Usually only got a cone, probably because of the cost.

And school lunches were REAL food, too - not canned/frozen/processed. The cooks would get there early in the morning and actually cook the food from scratch like my mom did. You could smell the bread and the cinnamon rolls rising a couple of hours before lunch and I'd get so hungry and couldn't wait till lunch time. The only thing I can remember hating is when they put those little pearl onions in the green beans. Yuck. I loved green beans, but not with those onions in them! Everything else was wonderful. Homemade brownies, homemade dinner rolls, homemade cinnamon rolls, chili, etc. Back then kids felt sorry for you if you had to bring your lunch (too poor to buy the yummy school lunch). When my kids went to school, they would rather take their lunch than eat the crap served in the cafeteria.
I could have written this post, except for the first paragraph. We never had dessert, my mother wasn't a baker. Sometimes she would make Jello, or Junket pudding, but our main source of sweets was Dairy Queen, open only during the summer, and then we were allowed a small cone, with maybe a dip.

I didn't enter a fast food place until I was in my teens, and had friends who drove. That was a Burger King, there was no other fast food around. We hung out in diners, and our "fast food" was a bagel from the little shop that made them all day.

My father also wanted a home cooked meal each night. Sometimes he took all 9 of us to a place in NY for hot roast beef sandwiches. I don't think I ever had pizza until my teens, despite living in NJ! I don't remember there being a lot of pizza joints around.

The moms cooked lunch each day at my school. I liked some of them, other meals were awful, bt the desserts were always terrific. My own mother was responsible for ordering the paper wrapped ice cream cones one year, and messed it up. We ended up with a freezer full of ice cream. The best year of my young life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Oh yes, we had great school lunches in NJ. Fresh donuts every Thursday. They'd take them right out of the fryer and we'd have to let them cool..
My NJ high school made donuts daily. Wonderful!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 PM

17,161 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Our school lunches were quite excellent in those years that I went to a school with a cafeteria. All the meals were cooked from scratch, nutritious, and the like. Unfortunately, unless the meals were hamburgers, pizza and the like, most of them went into the garbage can.

Back then, schools bought their OWN food as opposed to the garbage coming from the Federal School Lunch Program which is truly the wirst.

over 30 years ago...we had chicken nuggets, patties, fish sticks.. at the high school..
all the good stuff
when we got our license, we'd go to the local store and get a cheeseburger .. or a hot dog..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or