Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:20 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times

Advertisements

When I was in high school at 10 am we had morning break and the cafeteria had homemade cinnamon rolls with powder sugar glaze and French fries. I mean we ate that stuff every day. Then we would eat lunch around noon and have French fries again with hamburgers (made from real beef) or corn dogs. Even the hot lunch line had real meat that was usually fried, mashed potatoes, and some sort of vegetable and a dessert. We could also buy real ice cream, not this low fat stuff they push on kids today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We used to get milk delivered by a milkman. It was whole milk in glass bottles with cream on the top. We didn't ever use margarine, only butter. There was no such thing as diet soda. We had desserts available all the time. Nobody was fat, either. I guess it was because we walked everywhere.
Yes, people (especially kids) were active from waking to sleeping, and didn't usually exercise in a disciplined manner. Nowadays they tell kids to exercise regularly for so many minutes, but that's simply not as effective for weight loss as staying in motion most of the day, walking or biking to go play outside with friends until Mom called you in.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
I remember as a child camping with family in Canada. We would get margarine that had a capsule of yellow dye in it that you would poke to color the margarine by mixing in the dye.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Somebody should start a thread on what we ate and still didn't get fat.

Our food wasn't perfect but a few things stand out:

We did not drink much soda. It was a rare treat. My family never even had it in the house. You might get one if you had lunch out and once I drank a Coke at the town pool. It was so rare that I remember it.

We rarely had ice cream. Another occasional treat on a hot day.

If pizza even existed, I never heard about it.

I remember the ONE fat kid in our class too. I think it must have been genetic because his mother was a beautiful, thin woman. She seemed really nice and I don't think she was feeding him some kind of junk food (which didn't really exist in those days anyway.) He ran and played on the playground so he got exercise. I can believe that ONE person out of a class of 25 could have a medical problem making them obese.

Back on topic, we had pie a lot. Again, it was not every day and we didn't load it down with ice cream or whipped cream. It was simply a slice of pie--but with crisco or lard for the crust and apples and sugar or blueberries and sugar or pumpkin and sugar. With a slice of apple pie we had a piece of cheddar cheese--and that would be at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was not an every day thing.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:58 PM

872 posts, read 827,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yes, people (especially kids) were active from waking to sleeping, and didn't usually exercise in a disciplined manner. Nowadays they tell kids to exercise regularly for so many minutes, but that's simply not as effective for weight loss as staying in motion most of the day, walking or biking to go play outside with friends until Mom called you in.
Yep, and we would dread having to go in. Now when Mom was late calling us in, we would wonder 'did she forget about us'? But, we would not go in until she called us in.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Oh and how about that cheese in the can (it was like a whipped cream can) and Knox Blox? We used to have Knox Blox at all the bake sales!
Are you talking about Cheese Whiz..??

Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Maybe Kraft Easy Cheese? They still sell that.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:52 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Yep, and we would dread having to go in. Now when Mom was late calling us in, we would wonder 'did she forget about us'? But, we would not go in until she called us in.
Yep, I never wanted to go in. I remember my mom calling me and my brother in for dinner and I was surprised it was dinnertime already. Eating was the last thing on my mind.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Geez I can't remember the name of it or the brand I just remember having fun putting it on crackers and such! If it still is around I am surprised....it really didn't taste good even though it was fun to use!

Does anyone remember Cold Duck and then there was that cheap strawberry wine that all of us drank when we weren't supposed to!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:45 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Geez I can't remember the name of it or the brand I just remember having fun putting it on crackers and such! If it still is around I am surprised....it really didn't taste good even though it was fun to use!

.....and then there was that cheap strawberry wine that all of us drank when we weren't supposed to!
Yeah, it's still sold....we still buy it. Mostly the kids eat it, but every once in a while I get a craving and eat it on some crackers. It is called Easy Cheese and it's made by Kraft.

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, you mean? Puked up a lot of that in my teenage years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink