U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 02:16 AM

22,707 posts, read 21,760,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It was Pillsbury's version of Kool Aid, but included cyclamate until it was banned in 1970. Afterward, you had to add sugar, just like Kool Aid.

Another drink made with cyclamate was Fizzies.

Both saccharine and cyclamate were approved for use by the FDA in the 50s. Foods made with cyclamate still are available in Canada and elsewhere.
Though they were a rare teat, I loved Fizzies. Once in a while, I'd steal one from the kitchen cabinet and throw it in my mouth. I probably looked rabid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 AM

51,240 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
how about a hawaiian punch???????

something about those little kool aid packets ,,they kinda took your breathe away..

wasnt nu-form ..... skim milk,,,back in the 70's??

a relative brought that over,,,,and when she left we used it for 12 gauge target practice

candy cigarrettes??? where did they go?? can you imagine passing them out at halloween now?? the pc mothers head would blow up

maybe they'll make a comeback,,,instead of cigarettes, call them little joints , marijuana candies..then they'll be ok

a tub/bucket of crisco was a mainstay under the sink

lots of good foods were cooked in oils,,,,french fries, chicken,,,seafood
now,,,most folks dont want the heavy oily smell in the kitchen
maybe yrs ago, the cigarette smells covered every other smell up... so it wasnt an issue..(at my elementery school, the "teachers lounge" was where the teachers went to smoke-right in the school

and years ago every boy seem to have a jack-knife-
now you give a jack-knife to a kid,,, he can be expelled from school,
ROFL! Maybe the candy joints will sell big in Colorado!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 AM

16,935 posts, read 19,680,616 times
I remember my grandmother getting soda in glass bottles delivered. Hammer was the brand. My favorite was the cream and root beer. My grandmother loved the black cherry. I also remember her drinking No-Cal soda. It was a diet soda. We used to get seltzer delivered in glass bottles but we stopped that after 1 year. Got too expensive. My husband's grandmother couldn't have coffee due to thyroid issues so she drank Postum.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
Thanks for the picture of Funny Face. It did not ring a bell until I saw the packet. Now I remember it.
Same here. Once I saw the picture, I said "AHA!"

As a sidebar, there was also another drink mix called "Flavor-Aid". Flavor-Aid was what was mixed up and put in the big tubs with the cyanide at the infamous Jonestown suicide/massacre, which spawned the term, "drinking the Kool-Aid", but the saying is technically incorrect!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
When I was a kid there was milk, it came in a glass bottle with a paper cover that wasn't sealed as we expect today. Milk would separate if not consumed in a day or two and needed to be shaken. My grandmother occasionally stole the cream from the top instead of shaking the bottle to enjoy in her coffee.

I do not recall any percent milk until the late 70's or early 80's. My understanding is all milk today is converted to skim, and fat is reintroduced to create the desired grade.
In the 80s I lived in an old apartment built right after WWII. One day I took a broom and used the handle end to try to get out anything from behind the old creaky stove. I pulled out one of those pleated paper tops, and it brought back memories--that was the top for all the milk in the pre-plastic days. (And the top I pulled out from behind the stove listed a dairy that had long ago been in the now-suburban town where I was living.)

Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Somebody should start a thread on what we ate and still didn't get fat.

Our food wasn't perfect but a few things stand out:

We did not drink much soda. It was a rare treat. My family never even had it in the house. You might get one if you had lunch out and once I drank a Coke at the town pool. It was so rare that I remember it.

We rarely had ice cream. Another occasional treat on a hot day.

If pizza even existed, I never heard about it.

I remember the ONE fat kid in our class too. I think it must have been genetic because his mother was a beautiful, thin woman. She seemed really nice and I don't think she was feeding him some kind of junk food (which didn't really exist in those days anyway.) He ran and played on the playground so he got exercise. I can believe that ONE person out of a class of 25 could have a medical problem making them obese.

Back on topic, we had pie a lot. Again, it was not every day and we didn't load it down with ice cream or whipped cream. It was simply a slice of pie--but with crisco or lard for the crust and apples and sugar or blueberries and sugar or pumpkin and sugar. With a slice of apple pie we had a piece of cheddar cheese--and that would be at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was not an every day thing.
There was always ONE fat girl and ONE fat boy in every class. I was so skinny that I can remember wanting to not go back to school when the boy on whom I had a crush pointed at my legs and yelled to everyone, "look how skinny her legs are!"

When my daughter went to school in the 90s, I was amazed at how many chubby kids there were.

I rarely got hot lunch at school. I was one of seven kids, and my mother had this huge sandwich-making operation going on every morning. She made our lunches and my father's, too. A sandwich, always an apple, and some cookies or cake.

My parents were pretty frugal and we rarely ate out or got takeout like regular people. I KNOW the very first time I had pizza. I was around 9, and we went to this place that had pizza as part of some Girl Scout event. I remember pretending that I loved pizza beforehand because all the other kids were talking about how they liked pizza from this place or that place, and I realized I was the only girl in the troop who had never tasted pizza. Because I was aware probably by the time I was six that my family was weird, lol, I was already used to pretending to be normal. It worked out just fine. After I ate it, I didn't have to pretend anymore. I loved pizza after that day, and I still do.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 AM

2,813 posts, read 4,313,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
::laughing::

OMG, really!

Remember the rumor that Bubble Yum contained spider eggs? My response: Who cares?
Lol! When I saw Bubble Yum my first thought was the spider egg rumor!
Remember the Freshen-up gum that had a liquid center that would "squirt" when you bit it? We high schoolers (class of 78) had a special term for that one!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:41 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,501,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
I am having fun guessing how old people are based on their posts. I was born in 1960, and I remember most things discussed here. With the exception of good cafeteria food. We were too poor to buy our lunches. We took PB&J, ham or bologna sandwiches to school. But the kids that did buy from the caf, said it was gross.
I took bologna sandwiches for a looong time as a kid. Now I can't even look at the stuff. When I was in kindergarten, first grade, and second grade, I took my Snoopy lunchbox, but I don't remember what my mom packed. Probably sandwich, fruit, and something in the thermos. NOT MILK. If I wanted milk, I could buy the half-pint of chocolate.

Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood were brand new, and we watched them in kindergarten. In the fall, we roasted pumpkin seeds in class.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,501,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
::laughing::

OMG, really!

Remember the rumor that Bubble Yum contained spider eggs? My response: Who cares?
I remember that rumor. Also the one that Pop Rocks killed Mikey. Did I stop consuming either one? Nope! I loved Pop Rocks. And Garbage Can (or was it Pail?) Kids.

Someone mentioned Flavor-Aid. I never saw a F-A packet that the contents weren't hard-caked bits, whereas Kool Aid was always a powder. Kool Aid dissolved easily, but not the Flavor-Aid! You'd see pieces of it still swirling around the bottom of the pitcher for ages.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I remember that rumor. Also the one that Pop Rocks killed Mikey. Did I stop consuming either one? Nope! I loved Pop Rocks. And Garbage Can (or was it Pail?) Kids.

Someone mentioned Flavor-Aid. I never saw a F-A packet that the contents weren't hard-caked bits, whereas Kool Aid was always a powder. Kool Aid dissolved easily, but not the Flavor-Aid! You'd see pieces of it still swirling around the bottom of the pitcher for ages.
Wonder if the forced-suicide victims at Jonestown complained about that before the cyanide took effect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or