Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:07 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Thanks for the memory that made me laugh out loud. That sounds like a typical dinner during my growing up years.

Here's a link to those biscuits, there's still around:

Grands!® Refrigerated Biscuits from Pillsbury.com
Oh! They still make them. LOL. That's something I would never eat these days. 170 calories in one little bisquit plus all the stupid additives. But how I loved opening the package--SMACK against the kitchen counter. It was the only part of helping out in the kitchen that I really loved. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
Bottled water is relatively new...did that start in the '80s? I remember being in grade school then and a teacher saying that when he was a kid, people would have thought it crazy and dumb to pay good money for water that flowed for free from any tap. "What next? Bottled AIR on the shelves of the grocery store??!" ...is how he put it.

I can't imagine life without bottled water. What did people DO back then?? I guess there were more water fountains (or 'drinking fountains' or 'bubblers', depending on where you're from in this great nutritional nellie nation) back then. And I think people were just less high maintenance. You slaked your thirst with some juice or coffee or tea at breakfast before leaving the house and then you waited till lunch. Now we're all as attached to our water bottles as we are to our mobile devices. I am 100% guilty as I type this on a phone with bottled water in the purse at my feet.

RE: SKIM MILK...

We called it blue milk because the cap was blue. The good (i.e. whole) milk had the red cap.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned soy/almond/coconut milk. I wasn't alive yet, but I'm pretty sure that stuff didn't even exist in the halcyon days of the milk man. Maaaaaybe the earliest appearance might have been in a few out of the way hippie communes in the '70s.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 AM

872 posts, read 827,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We'll all contribute to your book!

I remember my aunt calling skim milk "blue". It does sort of have a bluish cast to it. Yuck.

We drank Kool-Aid as kids. I remember putting the powder into the pitcher, then adding a cup of sugar, and a little water at a time because it was fun to watch the sugar turn colors.
Now and days, I have to wonder what is in the kool-aid mix. I have seen the red kool-aid be used for hair dye and try emptying a lemon kool-aid into your dishwasher, it leaves it sparkling clean.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 AM

872 posts, read 827,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Bottled water is relatively new...did that start in the '80s? I remember being in grade school then and a teacher saying that when he was a kid, people would have thought it crazy and dumb to pay good money for water that flowed for free from any tap. "What next? Bottled AIR on the shelves of the grocery store??!" ...is how he put it.

I can't imagine life without bottled water. What did people DO back then?? I guess there were more water fountains (or 'drinking fountains' or 'bubblers', depending on where you're from in this great nutritional nellie nation) back then. And I think people were just less high maintenance. You slaked your thirst with some juice or coffee or tea at breakfast before leaving the house and then you waited till lunch. Now we're all as attached to our water bottles as we are to our mobile devices. I am 100% guilty as I type this on a phone with bottled water in the purse at my feet.

RE: SKIM MILK...

We called it blue milk because the cap was blue. The good (i.e. whole) milk had the red cap.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned soy/almond/coconut milk. I wasn't alive yet, but I'm pretty sure that stuff didn't even exist in the halcyon days of the milk man. Maaaaaybe the earliest appearance might have been in a few out of the way hippie communes in the '70s.
I grew up without bottled water. There were water fountains everywhere and not all the chemicals/additives that are added to tap water today.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:50 AM

708 posts, read 954,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It was Pillsbury's version of Kool Aid, but included cyclamate until it was banned in 1970. Afterward, you had to add sugar, just like Kool Aid
Thanks for the picture of Funny Face. It did not ring a bell until I saw the packet. Now I remember it.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:42 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We had cookies and brownies a lot. They were homemade but Nutritional Nellies would not approved. If you wanted your baking to taste really good you used that expensive stuff called butter. For everyday baking, you used Crisco. There were no artificial sweeteners--the sweetener was called sugar. There was some kind of diet bread that one of my teachers ate--I can't remember the name of it. Otherwise nothing was "diet."
Yes, my mom made dessert every night. I forgot about that! Wednesday night was my favorite because she always made chocolate cake on Wednesday. And yes, she always had a can of Crisco. She made homemade egg noodles (yummmm...homemade chicken and noodles), homemade bread. Fried chicken, fried pork chops, fried potatoes and gravy. Wilted leaf salad (with bacon grease) in the summer with lettuce, radishes and onion from the garden. Wish I had someone to cook for me like that now! And no one was fat.

My mom made Kool-Aid and we always had iced tea (sweetened) for dinner in the summer, but we never had pop in the house. Once in a very great while we would get hamburgers to go (Smaks). Fast food was a new thing, something very different, and a special treat. I loved it when we got hamburgers. My dad hated it when dinner was hamburgers from a fast food joint (happened maybe twice during my childhood). He wanted home cooked food. Sometimes we would go get ice cream in the summer. I always had a dilemma because the ice cream made me thirsty and made me want a coke to drink, but I wasn't allowed to have both. I could have a coke OR an ice cream cone. I could have water, but I wanted ice cream AND a coke! I think once I got to get a banana split. Usually only got a cone, probably because of the cost.

And school lunches were REAL food, too - not canned/frozen/processed. The cooks would get there early in the morning and actually cook the food from scratch like my mom did. You could smell the bread and the cinnamon rolls rising a couple of hours before lunch and I'd get so hungry and couldn't wait till lunch time. The only thing I can remember hating is when they put those little pearl onions in the green beans. Yuck. I loved green beans, but not with those onions in them! Everything else was wonderful. Homemade brownies, homemade dinner rolls, homemade cinnamon rolls, chili, etc. Back then kids felt sorry for you if you had to bring your lunch (too poor to buy the yummy school lunch). When my kids went to school, they would rather take their lunch than eat the crap served in the cafeteria.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:13 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Oh yes, we had great school lunches in NJ. Fresh donuts every Thursday. They'd take them right out of the fryer and we'd have to let them cool..

Old 04-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I got the idea from the "milk" thread, wherein a poster said that growing up his or her Mom only ever bought 2% milk.
When I was a kid there was milk, it came in a glass bottle with a paper cover that wasn't sealed as we expect today. Milk would separate if not consumed in a day or two and needed to be shaken. My grandmother occasionally stole the cream from the top instead of shaking the bottle to enjoy in her coffee.

I do not recall any percent milk until the late 70's or early 80's. My understanding is all milk today is converted to skim, and fat is reintroduced to create the desired grade.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:32 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
McDonald's fries in beef tallow were the best! They should go back to that. The fries are just not as good anymore.
I agree. Now they usually taste a little rancid. They may be using canola....I often detect a rancid/fishy odor in canola.

I think I'm done with canola after reading some of the stuff said about it here.

Who wants to start a petition to present to McDonald's for a revival of beef-tallow fries? That would start a stampede to McDonald's, I'd bet!

Old 04-06-2014, 01:45 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
how about a hawaiian punch???????

something about those little kool aid packets ,,they kinda took your breathe away..

wasnt nu-form ..... skim milk,,,back in the 70's??

a relative brought that over,,,,and when she left we used it for 12 gauge target practice

candy cigarrettes??? where did they go?? can you imagine passing them out at halloween now?? the pc mothers head would blow up

maybe they'll make a comeback,,,instead of cigarettes, call them little joints , marijuana candies..then they'll be ok

a tub/bucket of crisco was a mainstay under the sink

lots of good foods were cooked in oils,,,,french fries, chicken,,,seafood
now,,,most folks dont want the heavy oily smell in the kitchen
maybe yrs ago, the cigarette smells covered every other smell up... so it wasnt an issue..(at my elementery school, the "teachers lounge" was where the teachers went to smoke-right in the school

and years ago every boy seem to have a jack-knife-
now you give a jack-knife to a kid,,, he can be expelled from school,

How about licorice pipes!?! I took my mother to a local ice cream parlor where they have two long walls of candy. Along with the Hershey bars, Nestles, and Reeses, there are lots of novelty and penny candies and jaw breakers in jars, like an old fashioned mercantile. She was so excited to see real licorice pipes. She thought they were extinct. She bought a whole box of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink