Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wonder if the forced-suicide victims at Jonestown complained about that before the cyanide took effect...
<snort> I think they had bigger things to fuss about.

Remember Little Hugs? Flavored sugar water in single serving plastic barrels? They were popular when I worked in a convenience store in Baltimore in the mid 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Yeah, it's still sold....we still buy it. Mostly the kids eat it, but every once in a while I get a craving and eat it on some crackers. It is called Easy Cheese and it's made by Kraft.

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, you mean? Puked up a lot of that in my teenage years.
Yup that was it....Boone's Farm!

Ok here is another that I used to eat when we would sneak off school grounds and go to one of my friends for lunch. We would have Campbell's Pepper Pot soup along with a bologna sandwich with potato chips on it.

We always wondered what the little spongy things were in the soup. Then one day we looked up the ingredients......it was TRIPE. We didn't know at the time what tripe was but looked it up in our BIG dictionary book (remember those...lol!)!!!! BTW - Never ate Pepper Pot soup again!

Old 04-07-2014, 11:07 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
I still have that big dictionary . Never use it, though. Remember looking up all the dirty words?

My parents made kool aid with half the sugar. It has way more flavor that way. And we froze it in ice cube trays, for homemade popsicles. You could suck out all the flavor and sugar, and be left with an ice lattice to crunch up.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I still have that big dictionary . Never use it, though. Remember looking up all the dirty words?

My parents made kool aid with half the sugar. It has way more flavor that way. And we froze it in ice cube trays, for homemade popsicles. You could suck out all the flavor and sugar, and be left with an ice lattice to crunch up.
We used to make juice ice cubes, too! Sometimes we used Welch's Grape Juice. In the metal ice cube trays with the thing you pull up to get the cubes out.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
That's right! Diet soda is relatively new.

Soda was a treat for us, not something kept in the house all the time.
Us too. We really only had it at a restaurant or soda fountain. It tasted so much better back then.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post

Ok here is another that I used to eat when we would sneak off school grounds and go to one of my friends for lunch. We would have Campbell's Pepper Pot soup along with a bologna sandwich with potato chips on it.

We always wondered what the little spongy things were in the soup. Then one day we looked up the ingredients......it was TRIPE. We didn't know at the time what tripe was but looked it up in our BIG dictionary book (remember those...lol!)!!!! BTW - Never ate Pepper Pot soup again!
I do remember Campbell's Pepper Pot and really miss it. It was 100x better than menudo, the Mexican tripe soup. I'd try making some but tripe is darn hard to find; it's gone the way of suet and sweetbreads.

Does anyone remember when sweetbreads were common in good restaurants?

Old 04-07-2014, 01:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Well im not sure I am an "older poster" being in my 40s, maybe a bit middleagish lol. Remember candy cigarettes? yea no way those would be allowed today. All food was cooked with real butter, or fried in lard. Food fried in lard does taste really good. Another thing I miss even though it has nothing to do with health, that is coke in glass bottles. It really did taste much better that way. I bet its been 30 years since you could get it.
My kids have had candy cigarettes. I'm trying to think of where they found them, maybe Cracker Barrel? They sell a lot of the old time brands people remember.

Glass coke bottles are still around, usually to commemorate a special occasion. I just looked at the two on my son's bookcase. One is from 2002, and it says "Summer at the Jersey Shore" on the back. The other one is from the Atlanta Braves, with the dates of their division championships.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:56 PM

302 posts, read 368,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hmmm, I never knew about those sweeteners back in those days. I do remember Sugar Twin though. We very seldom drank soda and if we did it was ginger ale or Coke. Never heard of Funny Face. My younger sisters had cool aid--it was horrible and it came in neon colors. I'm glad I was almost grown up by then. We drank Zarex ?? for a little while. It was a syrup that you mixed with water. It tasted only slightly better than cool aid. An at home drink treat would be chocolate milk made with Bosco.

A well balanced meal (judging from my mother's old cookbooks) was something like meatloaf, mashed potato, canned green beans, and boiled carrots. With those bisquits in a tube that you slammed against the counter top to make them explode open. (What on earth were they??) And piles of butter on everything. Meat always had gravy. Whole milk with every meal and with cookies after school. We ALWAYS had bisquits or muffins or banana bread--all the time, or maybe just plain bread and butter with every meal. That's something you don't have with every meal today. Made with whole milk--not rice milk!

HOLLYWOOD Bread. I think that was it.

OMG ! Those bisquits are still around , but now you unroll the label until they pop open - always scares the crap outta me !

LOL I went to grade school in Queens, NY and we ALWAYS had butter on our school lunch sandwiches - even without a sandwhich the bread had loads of real butter on it now that I think about it !

Does anybody remember the candies shaped like little bottles that had sugary colored liquid in them ?
Or candied wax RED lips and harmonicas ? How about those paper strips like straws with powdered , flavored sugar ?

We used to get a lot of food from a place called Gouz - rhymes with cows - was part of their advertising , I remember going there, riding in the back of my grandfathers' station wagon with the other kids no seat belt lol the nervous nellies woulda had him in jail today !

Well at Gouz we would get milk in glass bottles that that my mom used to pour out the top for my parents coffee and use the remainder for us kids , and whenever she made fresh hamburgers she used to give us a little RAW meat funny , we never got sick - but I wouldn't try that now !

Old 04-07-2014, 03:21 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Same here. Once I saw the picture, I said "AHA!"

As a sidebar, there was also another drink mix called "Flavor-Aid". Flavor-Aid was what was mixed up and put in the big tubs with the cyanide at the infamous Jonestown suicide/massacre, which spawned the term, "drinking the Kool-Aid", but the saying is technically incorrect!
i dont remember flavor-aid

i think there was a syrup ....flavor kids drink called,,,zarex?? or something like that,,,it'd be gross by todays standards,,,but it wasnt bad... back then

someone mentioned "when mom would call us for dinner"
that happened in our neighborhood,,the mothers would be out there screaming at 5-30 to 5;45
belting out our names as loud as they can scream.. SUPPA'S RRRREADYYY"
you dont see that today...

Old 04-07-2014, 04:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post
Does anybody remember the candies shaped like little bottles that had sugary colored liquid in them ?
Or candied wax RED lips and harmonicas ? How about those paper strips like straws with powdered , flavored sugar ?
Pixie Sticks! They're still around too. I never saw the appeal of the flavored wax things, but I'll bet they can still be found around Halloween.

Here's a few more, from today's HuffPost:
15 Foods From Childhood We Can't Believe Are Still Around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink