Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:49 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times

Advertisements

We bought our milk at a local dairy in returnable glass bottles. It was whole milk, and very rich. They had the BEST chocolate milk I've ever tasted - it was thick and creamy. I've never seen whole milk chocolate milk in the stores - everything is now low fat/fat free and has a thin watery consistency. When I make myself some good chocolate milk, I always use whole milk and add Hershey's syrup to it, but it's never as good as that dairy chocolate milk I remember.

There was also no such thing as "no stick cooking spray" or Mazola at our house. If something was fried, it was in butter or most of the time, lard. And no one ever removed the fat from their meat on their plate - you were expected to eat it. Margarine didn't exist for us either - we always used butter. My mother caked cold chunks of butter on the sandwiches she packed in our school lunches - even on the peanut butter sandwiches.

We also never ate salads or raw vegetables. The only salads ever served at our house when I was growing up were potato salad (made with hot bacon dressing), endive salad (made with hot bacon dressing) or macaroni salad (made with mayo). Vegetables were pretty much an "afterthought" at meals (next to the meat and potatoes) and never steamed or served in their natural state - they were always boiled on the stove and heaped with butter.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 04-06-2014 at 04:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I got the idea from the "milk" thread, wherein a poster said that growing up his or her Mom only ever bought 2% milk. That struck me as funny, because 2% (or 1%) milk seems new to me--when I grew up, there was either regular milk or skim milk, the latter of which people on diets drank and I only knew from seeing it in a store. I'm thinking the 2% and 1% started being marketed around the 1980s.

The title of this thread comes from the late Julia Child. I was watching a show once when she was so old that you could hear her breathing heavily into the microphone, and she was only supervising the other people on the show, not doing any of the work herself.

They were making a salad that included canned tuna, and she kept reaching out and picking and eating the tuna and saying how much she loves canned tuna. Then she went on to say that the tuna in oil is the best and to avoid the tuna in water, and asked, "What Nutritional Nellie ever thought that one up?"

So that's another. Tuna in water instead of oil is another fairly "new" or non-traditional way of a product being sold, ostensibly for nutritional purposes.

Any others you can remember?
Tuna in oil is much more tasty than in water> As for the milk, my mother in law used to call skim milk, blue milk cause it really did have slight blue color and it was like drinking water. Most of us grew up on reg milk or even extra rich and we had it with every single meal.

Saving bacon drippings was must: everyone had a jar of it in the fridge to use when cooking the veggies forever. Actually my parents did not over cook veggies, we had them almost crisp tender, but we did have the jar of bacon grease.

We didn't have anything on the fridge inside fridge door like today cause there were no shelves.

Other than frozen veggies and a few other things there were no pre frozen or pre cooked anything.

Hot chocolate was made with hersheys chocolate and a little sugar and heated using fresh milk. to this day it tastes better than any instant hot chocolate.

Never would have thought about pre sweetened cereal; that is what sugar was for: you sweetened it yourself.

No one drank cranberry or pomagranent (spelling) juice.

Sodas consisted of coke, pepsi, root beer, 7 up and Dr Pepper, not a million flavors. Most of us drank more kool aid than anything, it was so much cheaper.

Chicken had it's clothes on, it wasn't naked like skinless chicken it. In fact we usually cut up our own, it wasn't even easy to find cut up chickens.

Milk and bread could be delivered to your door. In CA we had the Helm's bakery trucks.

I am sure I could write a book about the changes since I was growing up.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:09 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,935,871 times
I could almost taste the chocolate milk you were describing Mrs Skeffington even though it's been YEARS! The chocolate milk was oh so good from the local dairy!!

I now also remember the Funny Face packets now that someone posted what they looked like!! I always loved picking them out!

How about Fluffernutter sandwiches?? We also had a local "pop" shop where we could go and pick all sorts of different flavored soda pops and load up our crate with them! Gosh good times back then!! And yes....all the kids were always walking or biking from sun up to sun down!

Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,935,871 times
Oh and how about that cheese in the can (it was like a whipped cream can) and Knox Blox? We used to have Knox Blox at all the bake sales!

Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 AM

88,507 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Tuna in oil is much more tasty than in water> As for the milk, my mother in law used to call skim milk, blue milk cause it really did have slight blue color and it was like drinking water. Most of us grew up on reg milk or even extra rich and we had it with every single meal.

Saving bacon drippings was must: everyone had a jar of it in the fridge to use when cooking the veggies forever. Actually my parents did not over cook veggies, we had them almost crisp tender, but we did have the jar of bacon grease.

We didn't have anything on the fridge inside fridge door like today cause there were no shelves.

Other than frozen veggies and a few other things there were no pre frozen or pre cooked anything.

Hot chocolate was made with hersheys chocolate and a little sugar and heated using fresh milk. to this day it tastes better than any instant hot chocolate.

Never would have thought about pre sweetened cereal; that is what sugar was for: you sweetened it yourself.

No one drank cranberry or pomagranent (spelling) juice.

Sodas consisted of coke, pepsi, root beer, 7 up and Dr Pepper, not a million flavors. Most of us drank more kool aid than anything, it was so much cheaper.

Chicken had it's clothes on, it wasn't naked like skinless chicken it. In fact we usually cut up our own, it wasn't even easy to find cut up chickens.

Milk and bread could be delivered to your door. In CA we had the Helm's bakery trucks.

I am sure I could write a book about the changes since I was growing up.
We'll all contribute to your book!

I remember my aunt calling skim milk "blue". It does sort of have a bluish cast to it. Yuck.

We drank Kool-Aid as kids. I remember putting the powder into the pitcher, then adding a cup of sugar, and a little water at a time because it was fun to watch the sugar turn colors.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:44 AM

88,507 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
We bought our milk at a local dairy in returnable glass bottles. It was whole milk, and very rich. They had the BEST chocolate milk I've ever tasted - it was thick and creamy. I've never seen whole milk chocolate milk in the stores - everything is now low fat/fat free and has a thin watery consistency. When I make myself some good chocolate milk, I always use whole milk and add Hershey's syrup to it, but it's never as good as that dairy chocolate milk I remember.

There was also no such thing as "no stick cooking spray" or Mazola at our house. If something was fried, it was in butter or most of the time, lard. And no one ever removed the fat from their meat on their plate - you were expected to eat it. Margarine didn't exist for us either - we always used butter. My mother caked cold chunks of butter on the sandwiches she packed in our school lunches - even on the peanut butter sandwiches.

We also never ate salads or raw vegetables. The only salads ever served at our house when I was growing up were potato salad (made with hot bacon dressing), endive salad (made with hot bacon dressing) or macaroni salad (made with mayo). Vegetables were pretty much an "afterthought" at meals (next to the meat and potatoes) and never steamed or served in their natural state - they were always boiled on the stove and heaped with butter.
This is true! Well, sometimes we did have a chunk of iceberg lettuce with Catalina dressing.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,947,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It was Pillsbury's version of Kool Aid, but included cyclamate until it was banned in 1970. Afterward, you had to add sugar, just like Kool Aid.

Another drink made with cyclamate was Fizzies.

Both saccharine and cyclamate were approved for use by the FDA in the 50s. Foods made with cyclamate still are available in Canada and elsewhere.
Lol--to this day I call yelling kids "Loud Mouth Limes"! . (That was a flavor).

Old 04-06-2014, 08:41 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We'll all contribute to your book!

I remember my aunt calling skim milk "blue". It does sort of have a bluish cast to it. Yuck.

We drank Kool-Aid as kids. I remember putting the powder into the pitcher, then adding a cup of sugar, and a little water at a time because it was fun to watch the sugar turn colors.
how about a hawaiian punch???????

something about those little kool aid packets ,,they kinda took your breathe away..

wasnt nu-form ..... skim milk,,,back in the 70's??

a relative brought that over,,,,and when she left we used it for 12 gauge target practice

candy cigarrettes??? where did they go?? can you imagine passing them out at halloween now?? the pc mothers head would blow up

maybe they'll make a comeback,,,instead of cigarettes, call them little joints , marijuana candies..then they'll be ok

a tub/bucket of crisco was a mainstay under the sink

lots of good foods were cooked in oils,,,,french fries, chicken,,,seafood
now,,,most folks dont want the heavy oily smell in the kitchen
maybe yrs ago, the cigarette smells covered every other smell up... so it wasnt an issue..(at my elementery school, the "teachers lounge" was where the teachers went to smoke-right in the school

and years ago every boy seem to have a jack-knife-
now you give a jack-knife to a kid,,, he can be expelled from school,

Old 04-06-2014, 08:46 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

A well balanced meal (judging from my mother's old cookbooks) was something like meatloaf, mashed potato, canned green beans, and boiled carrots. With those bisquits in a tube that you slammed against the counter top to make them explode open. (What on earth were they??) And piles of butter on everything. Meat always had gravy. Whole milk with every meal and with cookies after school. We ALWAYS had bisquits or muffins or banana bread--all the time, or maybe just plain bread and butter with every meal. That's something you don't have with every meal today. Made with whole milk--not rice milk!
Thanks for the memory that made me laugh out loud. That sounds like a typical dinner during my growing up years.

Here's a link to those biscuits, there's still around:

Grands!® Refrigerated Biscuits from Pillsbury.com

Old 04-06-2014, 09:00 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My dad liked Swanson's frozen pot pies and TV dinners. Fortunately, when he had those Mom would let us kids eat something else.

Quote:
Pop was a treat, for sure; my dad would take me to the local bottler, where we could make up our own case of pop and take it home in a wooden bottle crate. In addition to cola, root beer and lemon lime, we'd also get black cherry, lime, orange, grape, birch beer, grapefruit, cherry, cherry cola, strawberry, and probably a few others I can't remember. After we finished the pop, we took the empty bottles and the wooden crate back to the bottler, and filled the crate again. It was so much fun, looking at all the colors and flavors.

http://oldtimeerie.blogspot.com/2012...r-mix-and.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Lol--to this day I call yelling kids "Loud Mouth Limes"! . (That was a flavor).
LOL - I had a friend with a very round face and lots of freckles, so we called him Freckle Faced Strawberry! Poor guy ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink