Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,863,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Liver was the one thing my mother refused to serve when I was growing up. She has very bad memories of liver & onion dinners from her childhood. My MIL thinks liver is divine.
My mom made liver and onions but it always turned out like shoe leather. Most people made it that way, I think, so I didn't like it. As an adult I make pretty good liver and onions but don't have it very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,863,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Super Elastic Bubble Plastic!
Aha! Is that the name of it now or back then? I remember it was fun to mess with but, eeeewwwww, that smell. Well, actually, I don't suppose it was THAT bad. I liked the smell of library paste too. Now THAT is bringing back memories of certain smells when I was a kid! Mimeograph machine ink, the cedar sawdust mix the janitor cleaned the floors with and the girls gym for a few! lol And the neighborhood theatre ALWAYS smelled like popcorn when you walked by even when the place was closed. Some strange memories.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,666,139 times
FYI Green Goddess dressing is still around and there are lots of recipes for it. It's sort of a hybrid between a garlic-less ranch, and a caesar - with egg and anchovies, sour cream and chives...other stuff too but those are the four main ingredients that I remember.

Some of the stuff manufactured currently isn't really Green Goddess dressing at all; it's tahini dressing with or without green herbs. Annie's makes a vegan version with tahini but - they really should just call it tahini. Drew's makes tahini dressing they call Lemon Goddess but again - I wish they'd market it as tahini. Tahini dressing is delicious and more people should know about it, no need to pretend it's something else.

One thing from pre-nutri-nellie I remember fondly - was Fridays at the elementary school cafeteria. I didn't realize this at the time of course - but apparently Fridays had to be meatless, because so many students came from Christian homes and they would otherwise not eat the school lunch - which they paid for weekly whether they ate it or not. I was raised non-kosher Jewish and we had no such restrictions, but we were in the minority, and weren't taught that this was a mainstream "tradition."

But man oh Manischewitz, did we eat good on Fridays! Fried fish sticks with cafeteria-made tartar sauce, yeasty dinner rolls with butter, macaroni and cheese, and a 3-pack of Peggy Lawton Choc-o-Chip cookies!

They'd alternate with pizza, made with corn meal on the bottom, in squares that were dripping with grease from the whole-milk mozzarella and cheddar mix they put on it.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:38 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,267,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post
Hahahaha

Guess they forgot that liver is the highest form of iron you can eat - NOTHING compares to it !

If you have iron deficiency or are donating blood , you should eat a lot of it .

Gotta try that boiled egg mix , never thought of that .
Chopped liver from the Jewish deli on fresh, hot-out-of-the-wood burning-oven bagels.......heaven.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,267,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Like some other poster said, lard is the now the new "darling" of the food world. They (who are "they"?) have decided it's better for you than all the hydrogenated stuff.

Maybe with all the lard hype going on, Mickey D's will decide to start frying their fries in lard! That would be better than what they use now!
I don't know. They'll alienate a lot of their customers that way. I know many vegetarians and pescatarians who go there for veggie wraps, fish sandwiches, poutine and French fries.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,250,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Aha! Is that the name of it now or back then? I remember it was fun to mess with but, eeeewwwww, that smell. Well, actually, I don't suppose it was THAT bad. I liked the smell of library paste too. Now THAT is bringing back memories of certain smells when I was a kid! Mimeograph machine ink, the cedar sawdust mix the janitor cleaned the floors with and the girls gym for a few! lol And the neighborhood theatre ALWAYS smelled like popcorn when you walked by even when the place was closed. Some strange memories.
That was the name of it back then; I remember the commercials and wanting it so badly.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:42 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,905,725 times
We didn't have ice cream in the house - because we didn't have a freezer. We had an ice-box and the ice man came around in his truck (before he got his truck he had a horse and wagon) and we put a card in the window with numbers on it and if the top number was 5, he chopped off a five cent chunk of ice, picked it up with his tongs, threw it up onto his shoulder and carried it into your kitchen where he opened the ice box and put the ice into it. He picked up the nickel you left on the kitchen table and went on his way.

The biscuits that you smacked onto the edge of the counter weren't around when I was a kid. If they were, we sure didn't have them. But they are still around and you don't have to smack them, just stick a spoon in the seam and twist.

My grandmother made the best pie crust you could ever eat. She used lard and ice water. OMG, it was so flaky.

Milk in glass bottles on the front doorstep in the winter - the cream on top froze and rose above the level of the bottle. It wasn't sealed tightly, just a little cardboard cap sitting on top.

The only time we had soda (or pop, or dope, depending on what part of the country you live in) was if you went to town with Mom to shop for shoes and you went to the five and ten or the drugstore and sat at the counter and had an egg salad sandwich and a Coke. Good times.

I was 14 before I had a slice of pizza. One bite, the cheese slid off and hit my chin. Talk about a burn!

Our Sunday dinner was always about 1 PM. Then we went for a drive. On the way home, we stopped at a wonderful bakery (Bogoslafsky's) and my Dad would go in and buy some whipped cream something - cake, cream puffs, eclairs - and we'd go home, have a sandwich and dessert. Do people still have a roast every Sunday? I miss that.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:45 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,352,906 times
Nobody's mentioned cottage cheese - that stuff was very popular in the 1950s and '60s. If you were dieting, a half-cup of cottage cheese and a canned pear half were supposed to be a perfect lunch.

Yep, I was starving in about 30 minutes.

You can still buy it...I guess it's mostly used in lasagnas now.

Sugar Pops and Sugar Smacks...now called Corn Pops and Honey Smacks, expect I think they recently even took the "honey" out of the name. Same stuff, though!

Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,051,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
We didn't have ice cream in the house - because we didn't have a freezer. We had an ice-box and the ice man came around in his truck (before he got his truck he had a horse and wagon) and we put a card in the window with numbers on it and if the top number was 5, he chopped off a five cent chunk of ice, picked it up with his tongs, threw it up onto his shoulder and carried it into your kitchen where he opened the ice box and put the ice into it. He picked up the nickel you left on the kitchen table and went on his way.

The biscuits that you smacked onto the edge of the counter weren't around when I was a kid. If they were, we sure didn't have them. But they are still around and you don't have to smack them, just stick a spoon in the seam and twist.

My grandmother made the best pie crust you could ever eat. She used lard and ice water. OMG, it was so flaky.

Milk in glass bottles on the front doorstep in the winter - the cream on top froze and rose above the level of the bottle. It wasn't sealed tightly, just a little cardboard cap sitting on top.

The only time we had soda (or pop, or dope, depending on what part of the country you live in) was if you went to town with Mom to shop for shoes and you went to the five and ten or the drugstore and sat at the counter and had an egg salad sandwich and a Coke. Good times.

I was 14 before I had a slice of pizza. One bite, the cheese slid off and hit my chin. Talk about a burn!

Our Sunday dinner was always about 1 PM. Then we went for a drive. On the way home, we stopped at a wonderful bakery (Bogoslafsky's) and my Dad would go in and buy some whipped cream something - cake, cream puffs, eclairs - and we'd go home, have a sandwich and dessert. Do people still have a roast every Sunday? I miss that.
you had an ice box???

did you grow up in walnut grove ??

Old 04-09-2014, 04:33 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,905,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you had an ice box???

did you grow up in walnut grove ??
Nope, Philadelphia, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink