Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Nobody's mentioned cottage cheese
That's because 1) it's still popular (and used in more than lasagna); and 2) it's always been a reasonably low-fat food, and therefore has not been vilified by the Food Police. Although it's really high in sodium ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 05:58 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Lard. I raised hogs a few years back and rendered several gallons of lard. I had a young brother-in-law who was a competitive swimmer eating about 9000 calories a day, so I sliced up 10 lbs. of russet potatoes and french fried them in lard. The kid hoovered three big plates full of them, and had never tasted anything so good. The same goes for biscuits and pie crusts. Nothing is as good as the old lard pie crusts.

I used to love coconut oil popcorn as my guilty secret. Now they have decided coconut oil is good for you. I hope the same thing happens with lard, but I'm not holding my breath.
Lard isn't all bad, or not all lard is bad.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...90a0-9bb5-11e2

Old 04-09-2014, 06:27 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That was the name of it back then; I remember the commercials and wanting it so badly.
My sister and I did have some of it but it's doubtful we were allowed to have it more than once or twice. Fads came and went quickly back then and I bet they could be messy too. Don't remember about that.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:27 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The version I remember had sausage in it and was served warm from a crockpot. Just thinking about it now makes me want to heave, but it was a favorite at the neighborhood pot lucks of my youth.
If you think that's bad, I used to like bologna spread when I was a kid. It was made from ground bologna, sometimes egg or cheddar cheese, sweet pickle relish and mayonnaise. It was often served at parties and picnics.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
If you think that's bad, I used to like bologna spread when I was a kid. It was made from ground bologna, sometimes egg or cheddar cheese, sweet pickle relish and mayonnaise. It was often served at parties and picnics.
Yeah, I don't think I'd like that now either.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
We didn't have ice cream in the house - because we didn't have a freezer. We had an ice-box and the ice man came around in his truck (before he got his truck he had a horse and wagon) and we put a card in the window with numbers on it and if the top number was 5, he chopped off a five cent chunk of ice, picked it up with his tongs, threw it up onto his shoulder and carried it into your kitchen where he opened the ice box and put the ice into it. He picked up the nickel you left on the kitchen table and went on his way.

The biscuits that you smacked onto the edge of the counter weren't around when I was a kid. If they were, we sure didn't have them. But they are still around and you don't have to smack them, just stick a spoon in the seam and twist.

My grandmother made the best pie crust you could ever eat. She used lard and ice water. OMG, it was so flaky.

Milk in glass bottles on the front doorstep in the winter - the cream on top froze and rose above the level of the bottle. It wasn't sealed tightly, just a little cardboard cap sitting on top.

The only time we had soda (or pop, or dope, depending on what part of the country you live in) was if you went to town with Mom to shop for shoes and you went to the five and ten or the drugstore and sat at the counter and had an egg salad sandwich and a Coke. Good times.

I was 14 before I had a slice of pizza. One bite, the cheese slid off and hit my chin. Talk about a burn!

Our Sunday dinner was always about 1 PM. Then we went for a drive. On the way home, we stopped at a wonderful bakery (Bogoslafsky's) and my Dad would go in and buy some whipped cream something - cake, cream puffs, eclairs - and we'd go home, have a sandwich and dessert. Do people still have a roast every Sunday? I miss that.
I grew up much like you. We had an ice box too with the delivery guy and the card telling him how much. Had to make sure we emptied the drip pan often!

Biscuits were made every morning and yeast rolls nearly every afternoon. Also loaves of bread twice a week. I guess we really liked our bread. I think your grandma and mine must have used the same recipe for pie crust.

Most of my life growing up we had cows so no milk man but when we moved to the city we did have one. It didn't freeze where we lived so no milk 'gone wild'. lol

Soft drinks and ice cream were definitely treats and not something we had all the time, or very often at all. Don't recall my first pizza. Must've been a long time ago!

Roast beef on Sunday, cooked while we were at church. Grandma always had fried chicken when the preacher came to dinner though.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Nobody's mentioned cottage cheese - that stuff was very popular in the 1950s and '60s. If you were dieting, a half-cup of cottage cheese and a canned pear half were supposed to be a perfect lunch.

Yep, I was starving in about 30 minutes.

You can still buy it...I guess it's mostly used in lasagnas now.

Sugar Pops and Sugar Smacks...now called Corn Pops and Honey Smacks, expect I think they recently even took the "honey" out of the name. Same stuff, though!
I like cottage cheese with most any kind of fruit or tomatoes. Good for you!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:59 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's because 1) it's still popular (and used in more than lasagna); and 2) it's always been a reasonably low-fat food, and therefore has not been vilified by the Food Police. Although it's really high in sodium ...
Who puts cottage cheese in lasagna????? You mean in place of ricotta??? Now THAT Nutritional Nellie should be placed in the stocks and pelted with rotten fruit.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Who puts cottage cheese in lasagna????? You mean in place of ricotta??? Now THAT Nutritional Nellie should be placed in the stocks and pelted with rotten fruit.
Using cottage cheese in place of ricotta was quite common. I do not even remember seeing ricotta cheese in stores until 1985.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:13 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's not uncommon, although it's definitely not as tasty and definitely more watery. I'd use it in a pinch (risking my nonna's wrath from the great beyond), but I'd much rather use full-fat ricotta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink