U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: POLL: Ice cream,frozen custard,frozen yogurt
Ice Cream 50 72.46%
Frozen Custard 12 17.39%
Frozen Yogurt 7 10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:47 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,522,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
The very best ice cream I've ever had was that produced by the Naval Academy Dairy Farm and served at the Midshipmen's mess at the Naval Academy. It put the best of the "super-premium" ice creams to shame. The milk and butter was the best, too. Budget concerns finally closed the farm several years ago and the Naval Academy gets its dairy products from commercial sources now.
The very best ice cream I ever had was on the streets of Moscow, sold by little old ladies in a paper cone.
It came in vanilla only, but it was beyond rich and creamy and delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 02:05 PM

11,051 posts, read 11,460,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
I'm in CA and I've never even heard of frozen custard before? Sounds interesting. I do like "regular" custard.

I'm not a huge sweets lover but I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like ice cream. I just avoid it because of all the calories & sugar. I'm just not enough of a sweet food eater to justify it. I'd rather have chips. LOL

Sometimes I do have frozen yogurt as a treat. So much less fat. But still has the sugar...

I voted for frozen yogurt.
Any cooked ice cream recipe is a custard, so it's unlikely you have ever tasted anything but a frozen custard. You have to make real ice cream yourself. I make ice cream once or twice a year, using the pasteurized scramblers instead of whole eggs to avoid the risk of salmonella.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:16 PM

9,873 posts, read 5,779,564 times
Default Frozen custard

What's the difference between ice cream, frozen custard, gelato and frozen yogurt?

HowStuffWorks "What's the difference between ice cream, frozen custard, gelato and frozen yogurt?"

Excerpt:

Frozen custard -- A touch of egg yolk is what distinguishes frozen custard from commercial ice cream. Legally, custard only has to contain 1.4 percent egg yolk by weight, but some brands have more. The lecithin in the yolk is a natural emulsifier, imparting a richer, creamier texture.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,429,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have never had frozen custard. I'm not even sure how it differs from ice cream.
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Gelato - Haagen Daz's
Just noticed that there have been 4 new flavors added to the Haagen Daz's gelato line-up [have not seen any of them in my area yet] :

Haagen-Dazs is expanding on their line of gelato with four new flavors: Caramelized Banana Chip, Tiramisu, Pistachio, and Pomegranate Swirl.
Read more at News: Haagen-Dazs - Four New Gelato Flavors | Brand Eating
So far, I've only tried the stracciatella but really want to try the limoncello. I'm curious to see what the stores here will end up carrying.

Gelato is my first choice as well. I love a good pistachio gelato but developed an allergy to pistachios (Boo!) so now I usually get stracciatella if it's available. 2nd behind gelato is ice cream, specifically my good friends Ben and Jerry. My current fave is the Karamel Sutra Core, and when I go to the scoop shop, I get the 7-layer bar. Fortunately, it's not nearby or sold in stores, or I'd likely weigh about 500 lbs.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:26 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,429,157 times
Speaking of ice cream, it's free cone day at Ben and Jerry's.

Free Cone Day | Ben & Jerry's

Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,522,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Speaking of ice cream, it's free cone day at Ben and Jerry's.

Free Cone Day | Ben & Jerry's
Probably not much of a lineup down the street. There's still 4 feet of snow in places.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:16 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,389,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
What's the difference between ice cream, frozen custard, gelato and frozen yogurt?

HowStuffWorks "What's the difference between ice cream, frozen custard, gelato and frozen yogurt?"

Excerpt:

Frozen custard -- A touch of egg yolk is what distinguishes frozen custard from commercial ice cream. Legally, custard only has to contain 1.4 percent egg yolk by weight, but some brands have more. The lecithin in the yolk is a natural emulsifier, imparting a richer, creamier texture.
Thanks, good info!

Old 12-15-2014, 11:26 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,940,545 times
I love ice cream! Eating lots of peppermint while it is available.
Key Lime Pie fron Publix is excellent.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:49 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,330,192 times
Gelato-vanilla bean.

If not then only Breyers Natural vanilla.

I am just a plain jane vanilla girl.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:17 AM

9,873 posts, read 5,779,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
I love ice cream! Eating lots of peppermint while it is available.
Key Lime Pie fron Publix is excellent.

This past week I have managed to get a mini peppermint/choc chip Blizzard at DQ. Melted so quickly too. Can't figure that one out. They've never melted that quickly even on a hot July day in same facility
Have been looking for the Edy's Limited Peppermint (even as reported that it is lacking the peppermint that it used to have) but no luck. It used to sell from my local Target. I even attempted a 50 mile radious search based on zip and checked those stores but no luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or