U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:36 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 8,215,109 times

Advertisements

Just today I tried to cold extract both coffee and tea and it came out wonderful. All you do is brew your coffee or tea in the frig, let it sit 4-12 hours for tea (the lighter the less time it takes) and 12 hours for coffee. The taste is so much smoother, best of all so far, I've noticed there are no tea stains in the glass either, before there always were. I have a few life long coffee drinker friends that swear by this as well. Apparently, without the heat from the water some of the chemicals aren't extracted, so it produces a smoother less bitter flavor profile.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, do you prefer this to steam/heat?

I know I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:46 AM

6,191 posts, read 14,754,334 times
Do you drink it cold, or heat it up after it's brewed?
I've never heard of this but it sounds intriguing.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Do you drink it cold, or heat it up after it's brewed?
I've never heard of this but it sounds intriguing.
You can drink it at whatever temp you want. Just remove the coffee beans/grounds or the tea bags prior to heating.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:12 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,166,753 times
Well. I'm going to have to look into this some more.....I'm like chiroptera, this sounds intriguing.

Which reminds me....time for a chai latte!

Old 04-06-2014, 05:44 PM

How To Make Cold-Brewed Teas : Samovar Tea Lounge Samovar Tea Lounge

There's a little write up for teas, google has some results for coffee as well. The taste is much smoother and less bitter. Give it a shot.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:16 PM

I'm going to put one of my chai tea bags in some water tonight and see how it affects the taste of my chai latte tomorrow.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:22 PM

8,546 posts, read 5,279,681 times
I worked at a coffee shop in the mid 90's and we made our iced coffee this way. Cold brewed. It was so smooth and delicious. I haven't ever made my own at home but your thread reminded me of it and I think I'm going to have to try it again this summer.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:41 PM

Summer is coming....I'll have to try my husband's/daughter's iced tea this way.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:36 AM

3,070 posts, read 4,185,566 times
I do this all the time in my French press coffee pot. But I let it sit at room temperature for 6 hours. Then strain it with the filter that is right inside the pot attached.

Then I store it in the fridge after it is strained. It can last a month without going bad.

You can also pour it into an ice cube tray and then after freezing pop them into a zip lock bag. Then put one in a cup of boiling water. Very important: never heat to boiling this coffee concentrate, add it cold to the already boiled water to protect it's delicate flavor.

If you filter it through an actual paper coffee filter it will remove the oils and acids and makes it so smooth you will love black coffee again.

It is great for recipes like chocolate cake too, great mocha flavor.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Well, my chai latte today was good, but I like the hot-brewed better because it extracts more of the black pepper taste from the bag. I'm probably the only person in the world who loves the black pepper taste in Tazo Chai tea, but there you have it. I like the slight burn it gives to my throat.

This morning's Chai latte actually tasted more like the ones you get at Starbucks, so others may like it....I just left one Tazo Chai tea bag in 1/2 cup of water for 12 hours, then heated it in the cup in the microwave, added the sugar, then 1/2 cup milk (I use skim because anything else tastes too creamy for me), and heated it some more. I think the tea could have actually used more than 12 hours in the water, because the flavor of the spices was a little weak for my taste.

My husband probably won't like the cold-brewed coffee either, because he says he kinda likes his coffee a little bitter, but I like less bitterness. My daughter and I may like it. And I'm still going to try to make "sweet tea" this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink