U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ........
Fish fry 42 70.00%
Wings 18 30.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:18 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,573,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Same. I never fry at home, and would rather go out for it once in a while and let somebody else deal with the mess and the oil and its disposal and all that.
Yep. And because the lower level of my house is wide open, the smell infiltrates EVERYTHING. Bleh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:26 PM

35,835 posts, read 39,635,648 times
I would say the same (open floor plan, here, as well), except that it doesn't deter me from cooking anything else strong. I did roasted curried cauliflower last night, and if that's not a pervasive scent, I don't know what it. For me, I just don't like futzing with oil, especially when I know it's not going to get reused, because I'm just not gonna fry stuff in bulk/often. So it's wasteful to go through oil like that for just my household. I'll leave it to the folks frying things in bulk.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:42 PM

759 posts, read 1,041,502 times
No contest, gotta be a fish fry. If the fish is fresh, and the oil is hot, frying is one of the most delectable ways to enjoy fish. It may not be suitable for all varieties of fish, especially very oily types (e.g., mackerel or tuna), but I've never understood why fried fish gets a bad rap amongst some foodie snobs. When I was growing up in Georgia and the Carolinas just about every town by a lake had a "Fish Camp" with a restaurant specializing in fried fish straight out of the lake-generally whole fried baby catfish, head, tails and all. Fond memories.
I also like chicken wings very much, probably my favorite piece of the bird. But they are just chicken, right? And if you take away the bar, the beer, the buffalo sauce and bleu cheese, what are you left with?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:46 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,133,939 times
Fish fry. I don't eat chicken.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:21 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,696,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I understand the play on words.....fish fry.....but often food centered events mention the food and the verb in the descriptive name we use. We didn't go to the fried fish....we went to a fish fry.

Fish fry; Clam bake; Pig Roast; Wienie Roast

But the OP post regards chicken wings or "fish fry". One is a food, one is an event, no?

Sure you go to the fish fry, but you eat fried fish. The poll should be chicken wings vs. fried fish.
Anyhoo, count me in on fried fish.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:36 PM

13,755 posts, read 22,959,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
No contest, gotta be a fish fry. If the fish is fresh, and the oil is hot, frying is one of the most delectable ways to enjoy fish. It may not be suitable for all varieties of fish, especially very oily types (e.g., mackerel or tuna), but I've never understood why fried fish gets a bad rap amongst some foodie snobs.

Because so much of the fried fish served is really BAD.

For example, I met up with my foodie group in a Chicago fish place. I ordered an oyster poor boy. The oysters were batter fried so all you tasted was fried batter on OLD grease. It was completely unpalatable.
If they would have dredged the oysters in corn meal, it would have been a LOT better.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:00 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,174,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

For example, I met up with my foodie group in a Chicago fish place. I ordered an oyster poor boy. The oysters were batter fried so all you tasted was fried batter on OLD grease. It was completely unpalatable.
If they would have dredged the oysters in corn meal, it would have been a LOT better.
When I moved to Chicagoland I really missed the food from down south. I found this chicken and fish place that bragged about it being just like down South.

I was so disappointed. I ordered the catfish, chicken wings, cole slaw, hush puppies, fries, and slice of white bread. I was excited because I hadn't had a good southern meal (I left most of my household in storage back down south while I worked on completely relocating) and was alone so cooking like that really wasn't an option.

I ended up with catfish steak (never heard of such, give me catfish whole, nuggets, or filets) that was so greasy and it was old grease, too. The grease from the food soaked into the white bread and it had turned a mushy shade of brown. The only thing even remotely edible was the fries. I tossed the entire plate and went to McDonald's.

I do not eat fried fish in Chicagoland. I make it at a home.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 PM

13,755 posts, read 22,959,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
When I moved to Chicagoland I really missed the food from down south. I found this chicken and fish place that bragged about it being just like down South.

I was so disappointed. I ordered the catfish, chicken wings, cole slaw, hush puppies, fries, and slice of white bread. I was excited because I hadn't had a good southern meal (I left most of my household in storage back down south while I worked on completely relocating) and was alone so cooking like that really wasn't an option.

I ended up with catfish steak (never heard of such, give me catfish whole, nuggets, or filets) that was so greasy and it was old grease, too. The grease from the food soaked into the white bread and it had turned a mushy shade of brown. The only thing even remotely edible was the fries. I tossed the entire plate and went to McDonald's.

I do not eat fried fish in Chicagoland. I make it at a home.

Are you talking about Harold's or J&J's? Neither one of them is very good although occasionally a Harold's might get it right.

If you are looking for GREAT catfish, head to Da Catch in the 1500 block of Kishwaukee in Rockford. Top level fish. Also, BJ's Market and Bakery on S. Cottage Grove serves really good mustard catfish.

Another place with good fish is Boston Fish Company in Des Plaines.
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic...it=boston+fish

As for catfish steaks, I had those frequently in W. Tennessee around Jackson. I agree with you that it is my least favorite way to have the fish presented. I don't like having a "bone bucket" at the table.

I used to have a couple of Lenten fish fries to recommend but both have been mediocre recently. However, I did encounter one unusual dish. The chef infuses lobster into drawn butter and served it over bakes cod fish. Phenomenal.

And never served toast or bread under fried food. It is always a complete turnoff!!!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 PM

33,014 posts, read 22,926,127 times
Man, this might be the toughest poll I've seen on CD.

Depends on the type... a great lakes perch or walleye? Gotta go with that.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 PM

759 posts, read 1,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Granted, sometimes what is passed off as fried fish is truly god-awful. Likewise, old chicken wings that are poorly prepared in putrid grease can be just as bad.

But the OP's poll asks for opinions on whether one prefers a GREAT Fish Fry or EXCELLENT Wings. And it looks like fish is swimming away be nearly two to one....as wings fly the coop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink