Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,363,570 times

Advertisements

Here's a thread that has some interesting info:http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...out-dutch.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,581,236 times
Spend the money. Buy a Lodge. You will only buy one once. Get the dished cover so you can put hot coals on top. They are great for baking biscuits and cobbler. I set a round aluminum pan on three pebbles inside mine to bake cakes and pies.

Griswolds are as good as Lodge. I have not seen a new one for sale in decades. I have several Griswold frying pans. I was a guide for years and was the training director of the Maine Professional Guides Association some decades ago.

I have known a lot of guides on the rivers. I have never seen a Le Creuset or seen the name until tonight. I expect it's an indoor Dutch oven.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,324,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I have several Lodge cast iron Dutch ovens for outdoor cooking and a Lodge enameled cast iron Dutch oven for indoor cooking. You don't want a lightweight Dutch oven as they don't hold temperature as well.
Almost all my pots/pans are Lodge cast iron. I slow cook most everything in the oven overnight in the Dutch oven... easy & food is delicious & beautifully browned. Potatoes melt in your mouth from sheer joy. The only problem is when making a roast, the smell wakes me throughout the night.

The enamel might be nice, but I use cast iron as a way to stave off lifelong borderline anemia. It's worked since I bought cast iron a few years ago, so the extra seasoning work someone else mentioned is a simple trade off for me. Besides, once you get the hang of it, it really doesn't take anymore time that washing any other pan & becomes second nature.

BTW, I bought a set of cheap cast iron first (about 8 pieces for $60) & they were horrible... everything stuck to them no matter how many seasoning methods I tried. Gave up on them after 6-mos. Lodge are pre-seasoned & more reasonably priced. (Someday I'll buy a Griswold!) My Dutch oven was $45 on Amazon (I see the price has dropped to $30 with free S&H). I bought this one, as the lid doubles as a fry pan.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Ca...odge+cast+iron

Let us know which you choose. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:53 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,787,504 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...stew-beef.html

Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,174,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Like where to get one and what to look for in quality.
The bedroom while your partner is sleeping, or while you're sleeping. Chilli beans are a damn good recipe for destruction. Let one rip and pull the blanket over the head of the person you're sleeping next to.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,660,588 times
My advice on a dutch oven is to hold your breath

Old 04-07-2014, 10:43 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,936,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I was a guide for years and was the training director of the Maine Professional Guides Association some decades ago.

I have known a lot of guides on the rivers. I have never seen a Le Creuset or seen the name until tonight. I expect it's an indoor Dutch oven.

I would say you need to get out more...but maybe you need to stay in more.

LoL

Old 04-08-2014, 02:09 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,777,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
The bedroom while your partner is sleeping, or while you're sleeping. Chilli beans are a damn good recipe for destruction. Let one rip and pull the blanket over the head of the person you're sleeping next to.
Guffaw - guffaw - you're so funny. Kids and their "fart jokes" . I actually remember when I was twelve.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:34 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,834,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Guffaw - guffaw - you're so funny. Kids and their "fart jokes" . I actually remember when I was twelve.
Brownies anyone?

Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 AM

11,004 posts, read 9,640,886 times
TJ Maxx often has Le Creuset for about half off.

When I read the title of this thread my first thought was..."Don't fall for it!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink