U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 AM

15,572 posts, read 8,742,257 times

Advertisements

Love, love, love my Le Creuset! Use it at least three times a week, often even more. Three pans do the heavy lifting in my kitchen: a 5-qt Le Creuset Dutch oven, a 12-inch All-Clad SS skillet w/ lid, and an All-Clad 2-qt SS saucepan. Ninety percent of what I cook on the stove uses one of those three items, and all three are oven-safe, too.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-08-2014 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 AM

1,136 posts, read 1,369,044 times
I splurged on my Le Creuset and have never regretted it.
Chose it over the Lodge because it was almost 20% lighter, but still plenty heavy.
If weight is not an issue but money is then perhaps the Lodge is the way to go.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 AM

10,121 posts, read 16,716,797 times
Le creuset bought at a discount somewhere is your best bet.

My Lodge enameled oven began chipping, and I couldn't return it because it had been over 60 days.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Three pans do the heavy lifting in my kitchen:.
"Heavy lifting" is apropos....these things weigh a ton, so if you have weak or arthritic hands or wrists, etc., better not go for cast iron.

I can barely lift my 10" skillet with my wrists. (I have fibromyalgia.) I'd like to someday get one of the new Lodge pans with the extra "handle" on the opposite side, maybe that would help. Sometimes you just need a large cast iron skillet!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM

15,572 posts, read 8,742,257 times
As Dutch ovens go, Le Creuset isn't bad. They're not nearly as heavy as the old-style Lodge cast iron pots. I love mine. A friend has an enormous high-sided copper pan from France. I'm in good condition, but I had a heck of time lifting it with one hand. That thing was a BEAST!

Last edited by randomparent; 04-08-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 AM

Well, to be fair to the other brands, all I've had actual hands-on experience with is the Tramontina I ordered from Wal-Mart and sent back. I could barely lift the box into the shopping cart! Besides the fibromyalgia, which affects my hands and wrists, I am a very small-boned woman.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:42 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
"Heavy lifting" is apropos....these things weigh a ton, so if you have weak or arthritic hands or wrists, etc., better not go for cast iron.

I can barely lift my 10" skillet with my wrists. (I have fibromyalgia.) I'd like to someday get one of the new Lodge pans with the extra "handle" on the opposite side, maybe that would help. Sometimes you just need a large cast iron skillet!
Sorry, Luv... some pans can be monsters to haul about, even sans injuries or delicate joints. I have a Lodge frying pan with the extra handle & it surely makes a difference. The only cast iron I have without is a flat skillet, which I like to use as a lid on other pans & if I'm doing a lot of cooking, my wrist/thumbs can tingle a bit afterwards & not in a good way, just because it's harder to lift.

I've just resigned myself to know that my potholders will forever be slightly blackened when some of the seasoning rubs off & onto them, because I place them under the opposite side of the handle to lift or use a sturdy spatula for the same purpose. Even with 2 handles, that Dutch oven weighs an awful lot if a whole chicken or roast is in it... I have to load it up whilst it's on the oven rack, then with all my strength try to push the rack into the oven. I don't know how my mum did it, cooking for 9!

In any event, yes, the extra handle should help you. The other thing I sometimes do is leave the seasoned pans on the stove top. It may sound trivial, but I'm a clean freak & I like things to be put away... but, I also don't want tingling wrists/thumbs, so that's helped, too. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:02 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Weight is also a consideration when you have a glass top.

My mother is a very frequent cooker, and her wrists cannot handle the weight of any of my cast iron stuff.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:38 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,229,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Guffaw - guffaw - you're so funny. Kids and their "fart jokes" . I actually remember when I was twelve.
.....got you so bad back then that your eyes were rolling....??

Old 04-09-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Sorry, Luv.... Good luck!
Appreciate the sympathetic thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink