U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,545,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My cousin freezes a lot of leftovers including thanksgiving turkey meat and also xmas ham and she then waits a year or two and defrosts them and eats them ...I keep telling her that one day she is going to catch a severe case of food poisoning that will kill her !! she laughs and says frozen food is good indefinitely ...everyone I talk too disagrees with that and tells me she is asking for trouble . Does anyone else think this practice is dangerous too ?
Funny ... I just took out some ground beef from my freezer to defrost that was dated March 2013. It might have lost some flavor by now, but it's going to be mixed up with a bunch of stuff, so we'll never notice. And since I froze it as soon as I brought it home from the store (must have been a really good sale) I'm 110% positive it's safe.

Your cousin is right. She's not going to get food poisoning unless it spoiled before she froze it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 AM

2,815 posts, read 4,321,397 times
I agree. I keep things in a separate freezer, Food Saver vac'd, & they keep for months. I don't keep anything much over a year, but as long as air doesn't reach the product, it won't get "freezer burned", so should be fine.

Next time you're at the grocery store, phonelady61, go to the freezer section. Check out the "best by" dates of different freezer products. You should be surprised.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 AM

6,191 posts, read 14,743,502 times
Even freezer burn isn't necessarily bad. I recently made some chicken soup with thighs I hadn't wrapped properly, but shredded and cooked they were just fine.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:12 AM

5,547 posts, read 4,400,095 times
Quote:
My cousin freezes a lot of leftovers including thanksgiving turkey meat and also xmas ham and she then waits a year or two and defrosts them and eats them ...I keep telling her that one day she is going to catch a severe case of food poisoning that will kill her !! she laughs and says frozen food is good indefinitely ...everyone I talk too disagrees with that and tells me she is asking for trouble . Does anyone else think this practice is dangerous too ?
Sounds gross, but I'm not a big frozen food eater, except ice cream! Anything I do freeze, we consume in a couple of months or out it goes. So really, I don't freeze much.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:20 AM

31,223 posts, read 57,377,537 times
Quote:
I don't know who you're talking to, but your cousin is right. Maybe not good indefinitely, but for several years. The quality will suffer, but the food is perfectly safe as long as it has remained frozen all that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Even freezer burn isn't necessarily bad. I recently made some chicken soup with thighs I hadn't wrapped properly, but shredded and cooked they were just fine.
Same here. Veggies with moderate freezer burn can be used in a soup or stew, too. Sometimes they're too far gone, but most of the time they can be used and you won't taste the freezer burn.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,570,900 times
Good thing I don't worry about this! I buy a quarter of a beef at a time! I sure could never go through that much meat in a couple months!! I think I have roasts in there from 2009!!!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,152,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Good thing I don't worry about this! I buy a quarter of a beef at a time! I sure could never go through that much meat in a couple months!! I think I have roasts in there from 2009!!!
Reads like it time for some jerky making.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,479,509 times
safe.....yes

taste suffers especially if it is any form of ground meat.

The worst one is sausage ( venison sausage in particular)

A very big difference in venison sausage from when first frozen, 3 months frozen, 6 months frozen.

I would not eat venison sausage frozen 9 months even if I got it for free ( and I like venison sausage )

Old 04-07-2014, 10:20 AM

4,279 posts, read 3,297,555 times
Phonelady61,

Who on earth did you talk to? Why do people say things without checking their sources first? Um, we do have something called the internet, people. It's not like we are living in the dark ages or anything and can't look up good solid information and check our facts against the ignorant comments of other people. Sorry, but it really bothers me when people claim things that are simply not true and get well-meaning people, like you, to believe them. Look at the links posted by prior responders; frozen food is good for years as long as it is packaged and frozen properly. Who would think otherwise? I'm curious.

To all of you who think this method of food preservation is gross, try curing ham!

Last edited by krmb; 04-07-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 11:51 AM

42,283 posts, read 49,847,621 times
Quote:
Why are you so judgy about your cousin's food prep?
And how do you feel now that you know that it's actually just fine?

I would research anything before I made a judgment on it and research doesn't include talking to whatever random person (popular opinion does not equal fact).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or