U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2014, 10:09 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
21,105 posts, read 26,040,445 times
Reputation: 39634

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
........ the "Starving kids in ____________".......... .
One thing I never did was to pressure my child to eat more. I wanted him to learn to stop eating as soon as he was no longer hungry. This "clean your plate" mentality leads to obesity from people eating more than they need or even want.

He was encouraged to only take what he wanted and it was explained that he could take a small serving and if he wanted more, he could go back for more.

We do our children a disservice by training them to clean their plates, even when they aren't hungry.

 
Old 04-13-2014, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Alaska
4,946 posts, read 4,355,726 times
Reputation: 7087
As a child, I was raised to clean your plate. The plate was never over-stuffed and at some point and time, I could serve myself. Also, eat your vegetables or no playing outside after dinner or even worse on those occasions when we had dessert - no dessert.

I postulate that the obesity that we are seeing in children these days is more due to lack of physical activity and eating junk foods than cleaning their plates.
 
Old 04-13-2014, 02:39 PM
 
5,413 posts, read 4,854,538 times
Reputation: 9351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
As a child, I was raised to clean your plate. The plate was never over-stuffed and at some point and time, I could serve myself. Also, eat your vegetables or no playing outside after dinner or even worse on those occasions when we had dessert - no dessert.

I postulate that the obesity that we are seeing in children these days is more due to lack of physical activity and eating junk foods than cleaning their plates.
It's some of both actually. Many kids that are not allowed to self regulate (either by denial of food or by forcing to 'clean their plate) do not learn their hunger cues and this is one cause of obesity. Yes, lack of physical activity is another reason...but it's not the only one.
 
Old 04-13-2014, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,588,010 times
Reputation: 9700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
As a child, I was raised to clean your plate. The plate was never over-stuffed and at some point and time, I could serve myself. Also, eat your vegetables or no playing outside after dinner or even worse on those occasions when we had dessert - no dessert.

I postulate that the obesity that we are seeing in children these days is more due to lack of physical activity and eating junk foods than cleaning their plates.
Vegetables should never be used as a threat.
 
Old 04-13-2014, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Alaska
4,946 posts, read 4,355,726 times
Reputation: 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Vegetables should never be used as a threat.
I did not see it as a threat but a choice. However, for many children today, they would prefer to stay indoors and play video games, etc. For others, I ponder the opportunity to play outside safely.

I sometimes teach elementary school children - given the choice between eating their vegetables (raw broccoli florets) or not having computer time, all of them ate their vegetables. It was so cute: "is it okay if I just eat the tops of the broccoli?". Some didn't like the stalks.

I would like to think that these students learned a couple of things: they like broccoli and that they had to make a choice/decision and the consequences of that decision.

Last edited by Naturen; 04-13-2014 at 03:35 PM..
 
Old 04-13-2014, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,835 posts, read 39,614,637 times
Reputation: 48661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
It makes the possibility of cross contamination essentially zero. I wouldn't eat at someone's house if they stored their meat anywhere than the bottom, not really because of the possibility of cross contamination because its a low chance, but because I figure if they can't follow that simple hygiene rule then do they really care about hygiene at all?
I can't say I have any idea how a single person I know (besides my mom) organizes their fridge.
 
Old 04-13-2014, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Finland
6,319 posts, read 5,263,858 times
Reputation: 10156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I can't say I have any idea how a single person I know (besides my mom) organizes their fridge.
That's why I avoid looking in my friend's fridges - what I don't know won't bother me!
 
Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Western Oregon
1,379 posts, read 1,230,921 times
Reputation: 1268
I freeze leftover plain pasta and rice in serving-size containers, and nuke them when I want them. It's almost as good as freshly-cooked, and great for when you want something easy.
 
Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 AM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,448 posts, read 10,216,633 times
Reputation: 28076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
That's why I avoid looking in my friend's fridges - what I don't know won't bother me!
But... I thought you wouldn't eat at their house if they didn't store meats on the "bottom shelf" because they must, quite obviously, be guilty of other hygiene violations. Now you say it won't bother you if you don't know about it?
 
Old 04-14-2014, 04:02 AM
 
Location: Finland
6,319 posts, read 5,263,858 times
Reputation: 10156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
But... I thought you wouldn't eat at their house if they didn't store meats on the "bottom shelf" because they must, quite obviously, be guilty of other hygiene violations. Now you say it won't bother you if you don't know about it?
It would bother me if I knew, but it can't bother me if I don't know, so I don't want to know as it makes life a lot easier that way. Although I doubt any of my friends would store meat anywhere but the bottom shelf as my friends generally have common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top