U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 AM

17,164 posts, read 22,182,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
That's why I avoid looking in my friend's fridges - what I don't know won't bother me!
reminds me of a law and order episode where body parts was stored in the fridge & freezer

Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,139,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
...Although I doubt any of my friends would store meat anywhere but the bottom shelf as my friends generally have common sense.
LOL - okay... "generally" is the operative word here. Would you say the following might define your expectations?

"My friends 'generally' wash their hands after going to the bathroom. They 'generally' have decent personal hygiene. They 'generally' store their meats in that portion of the fridge I demand. They certainly 'generally' recognize that I am the expert on common sense and the ultimate judge of the common sense of others."

Old 04-14-2014, 04:41 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,227,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - okay... "generally" is the operative word here. Would you say the following might define your expectations?

"My friends 'generally' wash their hands after going to the bathroom. They 'generally' have decent personal hygiene. They 'generally' store their meats in that portion of the fridge I demand. They certainly 'generally' recognize that I am the expert on common sense and the ultimate judge of the common sense of others."
As long as they definitely recognise that I am the expert on common sense and the ultimate judge of it then all the rest is fine

Old 04-14-2014, 04:44 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,227,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
reminds me of a law and order episode where body parts was stored in the fridge & freezer
Another excellent reason not to look in the fridge!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 AM

8,256 posts, read 9,105,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i use to hear that line too, and then tell her no wonder they are starving if they get served the same thing

that didnt go over well, either
LOL...some parents just have NO sense of humor!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I think every child has said the same thing, since we were such logical-thinking little creatures. I really felt sorry for those poor "Children starving in Europe".

I was notorious for being a poor eater. I often fell asleep at the table where I sat long after everyone else had finished and left the room.

One time, I slid my egg off the plate, put the plate on top of the egg and pressed hard. I announced that I was finished and was excused to go out to play. When my Father put the dishes in the dishpan full of water and the egg floated to the top, well...playtime was over.

I would rather stop in to the grocery store a couple or three times a week to pick up something for dinner than to waste food by having it go south. I wish I could convince myself to quit all this cooking crap and just eat out, but I'm not there yet. Sometimes I stop by my son's house and "get invited" to eat with them. Last week, I sat with one granddaughter while dtr-in-law ran to pick up the other one at dance. When I was leaving, she had taken chicken out of the oven and gave me a leg/thigh combo to take home. No waste that day!
I "felt sorry" for them too but not enough to eat something I really didn't want to eat. I remember once when my mom made some ox tail soup. My lord, that stuff was soooo greasy I just couldn't get past it. Mom made me sit there, telling me I couldn't leave the table till it was gone. I watched the fat congeal on top and that was even worse! I must have sat there a half hour and never did eat it. lol Mom was always threatening that if we didn't eat what was on our plate at dinner we'd get it for breakfast! I don't recall her actually doing that though.

LOL @ the egg story. Bet you didn't do that again!

I hate shopping and even though I work at the store I will put off doing it until I have to. I'd probably eat out more myself except that I look at the prices and figure I can get more for my money if I eat at home. Two meals instead of one!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
One thing I never did was to pressure my child to eat more. I wanted him to learn to stop eating as soon as he was no longer hungry. This "clean your plate" mentality leads to obesity from people eating more than they need or even want.

He was encouraged to only take what he wanted and it was explained that he could take a small serving and if he wanted more, he could go back for more.

We do our children a disservice by training them to clean their plates, even when they aren't hungry.
I didn't "pressure" my kids either. I figured they'd eat if they were hungry and wouldn't if they weren't. They ate well and I didn't worry about them. I was a 'healthy' eater as a kid but my sister wasn't. She'd cry if she thought I had more food on my plate than she did but she wouldn't/couldn't eat as much as I did. I think my mom ended up eating what she left.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 AM

704 posts, read 402,689 times
" I wouldn't eat at someone's house if they stored their meat anywhere than the bottom, not really because of the possibility of cross contamination because its a low chance, but because I figure if they can't follow that simple hygiene rule then do they really care about hygiene at all?"

Wow! Just ... wow! That just about made me spew coffee on my keyboard.

Meat goes on the second shelf of the fridge in a rectangular Tupperware container. Eye level.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:18 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,815,704 times
My mom found the expired half and half over the weekend, it was only about a half a cup, she was horrified, offered me money because we were obviously starving

It's just easier to use the liquid creamer with the sweetener already in it. Note to all, inspect before relatives come that will be using your kitchen!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:19 AM

17,164 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
My mom found the expired half and half over the weekend, it was only about a half a cup, she was horrified, offered me money because we were obviously starving

It's just easier to use the liquid creamer with the sweetener already in it. Note to all, inspect before relatives come that will be using your kitchen!
or,
knowing you have nosey relatives, save one of your empty half and half containers-then put a rubber mouse head first down in the container with the tail sticking out,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink