U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 PM

5,538 posts, read 4,380,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I hate wasting food, particularly meat. I fully admit that I am a mostly vegetarian, but my family is not. The idea that an animal was raised as a food source only to go to un-eaten really bothers me. I had to throw out some seafood recently, and I felt terrible, knowing the how over-fished our oceans are.
One reason I will not eat fish. But do eat beef and chicken, but not in huge quantities. One small steak a week between the two of us.

He said in the video that the average family in the US wastes 12 lbs of food a week. I probably just barely buy 12lbs of food for us a week. I think people just buy too much. I know I've done it. Gone mindlessly through the store getting this or that.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:16 PM

15,572 posts, read 8,742,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
One reason I will not eat fish. But do eat beef and chicken, but not in huge quantities. One small steak a week between the two of us.

He said in the video that the average family in the US wastes 12 lbs of food a week. I probably just barely buy 12lbs of food for us a week. I think people just buy too much. I know I've done it. Gone mindlessly through the store getting this or that.
Oh, yes, I have absolutely done it. Big refrigerators make it really easy to do so. Keeping my receipts on the fridge and adding up the cost of what got thrown out each week was a real turning point for me.

As for the seafood, I buy it on Monday and we eat it on Tuesday, come hell or high water.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:17 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,492,870 times
I'm working on not forgetting what I have, I've been bad in this area. I'm the type that wants to keep a lot of food, and its backfired. Now if I know I wont use it up, I give it to the neighbors. I have 1/2 of a strawberry pie I plan on giving the kid when I see him today. They're so nice and I don't waste, win-win.

When I lived in the mountains, a lot went to the wild animals hanging around.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 PM

5,538 posts, read 4,380,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh, yes, I have absolutely done it. Big refrigerators make it really easy to do so. Keeping my receipts on the fridge and adding up the cost of what got thrown out each week was a real turning point for me.

As for the seafood, I buy it on Monday and we eat it on Tuesday, come hell or high water.
I have a counter depth double door fridge and it is not very big, but I like that it doesn't stick out. I go through it each week before I go to the store.

I do have another regular fridge that holds our water, other drinks, flour and pasta products.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have a counter depth double door fridge and it is not very big, but I like that it doesn't stick out. I go through it each week before I go to the store.

I do have another regular fridge that holds our water, other drinks, flour and pasta products.
We're at the point of needing to replace our fridge and have been shopping replacements. Salespeople always try to steer us toward the same style behemoth we already have, but I'd rather have a counter-depth unit even if it is smaller. I'm confident it will be more than sufficient if we manage our food well.

I think the videos the OP linked are brilliant, and I'm excited to put some of his ideas into practice. I've already shuffled my fridge around to put the "eat soon" foods on one shelf, so they can't be missed.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,519,930 times
I have no problem with leftovers. Many taste better than the first day, anyways.
That being said, I waste very little. Older fruit goes into smoothies or compote. Stale bread goes to the birds and older meat and veggies go to the skunks, feral cats and raccoons.
As long as somebody or something eats it, it's not wasted.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 PM

It's also the money for the food item, the ingredients, and/or my time. Unless it was a kitchen experiment gone terribly wrong, I try very hard to make sure every food we purchase and prepare goes to nourishing our family. I was a child of the sixties and seventies, and I heard often about "children starving in Africa" from my parents. Mostly it was to guilt me into eating my peas, which I loathed, but the sentiment stuck.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 PM

836 posts, read 1,308,601 times
Wasting food makes me feel rich *Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp!

Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 PM

912 posts, read 1,189,455 times
I'm a lot better about not wasting food than I used to be. I freeze a lot for future use, and we are actually pretty good about using most of it. I also have finally learned how to mostly cook enough for the two of us to eat plus another meal of leftovers if we want them -- and just two servings if we don't.

We don't keep a lot of real "snack food" in the house -- chips, crackers, candy. So what we do a lot of instead is serve ourselves a small portion of leftover "entree food" as a snack if we want one, which also helps go through leftovers. It works pretty well, and to cite a recent example -- I'd rather have a small cup of leftover chicken soup with beans and vegetables for a snack than a bunch of chips anyway.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:23 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,711,277 times
I try not to waste food and am pretty decent about it. I freak out when I think of starving families while our freezer is bulging to the brim with food. We've "banned" grocery shopping at times until all leftovers and freezer items are eaten up. My daughter has gotten pretty good about eating leftovers these days. She used to fight it tooth and nail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink