U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:30 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,818,259 times

Advertisements

not too much waste here. I did have to toss half of a red onion the other day. Stockpiling them won't work so I am buying as needed.

Twelve pounds of food a week? That, to me, is irresponsible. Kids won't eat leftovers? Fine, you go to your room. Be thankful you have three squares a day and a roof. Go wash the dishes.

DH is very picky so I make the meat portion for a week's worth and he likes it that way.

Our African Grey does the heavy lifting on fresh veggies, a stalk of celery that is turning a bit yellow gets his beak.

Food scraps-onion ends, cilantro stalks, etc. get dumped over by the satellite dish for the 'coons and birds.

One obstacle is, for me, the weather influences what I want to eat. Who wants a salad when it's raining and forty degrees outside?

Old 04-08-2014, 01:37 PM

3,322 posts, read 3,566,826 times
I can't think of the last time I threw something out. Sometimes I end up with lettuce past it's prime, or fresh herbs.
Our fridge is pretty empty most of the time. I like to cook, there's only two of us, and the husband is normally home for lunch. Unless I think there's enough for both of us for another meal, I tell him to eat leftovers for lunch, and he's happy to do so.
My brother in law refuses to eat leftovers. Therefore my sister's refrigerator is always so packed you can't possibly squeeze another item in it. That would drive me nuts. I mean, seriously, you make a pot of chili, eat two bowls and then dump it out?? Really??? Especially now that their son is off to college, I REALLY wonder what the fridge is like now...

Old 04-08-2014, 02:25 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,527,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I can't think of the last time I threw something out. Sometimes I end up with lettuce past it's prime, or fresh herbs.
Our fridge is pretty empty most of the time. I like to cook, there's only two of us, and the husband is normally home for lunch. Unless I think there's enough for both of us for another meal, I tell him to eat leftovers for lunch, and he's happy to do so.
My brother in law refuses to eat leftovers. Therefore my sister's refrigerator is always so packed you can't possibly squeeze another item in it. That would drive me nuts. I mean, seriously, you make a pot of chili, eat two bowls and then dump it out?? Really??? Especially now that their son is off to college, I REALLY wonder what the fridge is like now...
I absolutely cannot understand that kind of mentality. If you liked something the first time, what's wrong with eating it a second time? It makes no sense to me.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:31 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I know we are trying all sorts of things to avoid waste. I'm a very frugal person so it kills me when I've let something go bad in the fridge. Thank goodness my whole family will eat leftovers. I know some who won't.

Sometimes fruit gets past it's prime at my house. I then chop it all up and mix it with yogurt or cottage cheese, add some mini marshmallows and call it dessert.

Veggies not gonna be eaten in time? Blanch and freeze and save for soups and stews.

I don't feel the need to serve the same thing to every family member. if there is only enough sloppy joe for one sandwich , only enough fish sticks for one person, etc I let them call dibs or we draw straws.

What are some things you do to avoid waste?

Look at how small the fridge is. Can you imagine the average 4 person family in America making do with
such a tiny fridge?

How to Save Money on Food Waste - YouTube

What do I do? I live with my husband.

He is cut from the same cloth as you. He's a boiler of bones, a maker of stock, the guy who eats the core of the produce that most people throw out and makes a salad of the greens that most people toss. He made pesto from radish tops, once (and it was delicious). I don't have to worry about stuff going to waste, because he is the guy who has ideas for using every part of the pig but the squeal.

One thing I won't do is eat fruit that's well toward spoilage. It doesn't bother him,though. I don't eat much fruit at all, so if fruit does stick around long enough to start to spoil, it's kind of on him for not eating it, nobody thought I was gonna.

We're both big on eating leftovers, though, so those don't usually go to waste unless it's something that wasn't that good the first time around. I lived with a guy who would not TOUCH a leftover. The instant something went into a storage container, it became "gross" and "old" to him. More than a touch of OCD-like behavior. Pain in the butt.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM

912 posts, read 1,190,517 times
My husband isn't nuts about leftovers in the sense that he doesn't want to eat the same thing two days in a row or even every other day (however, he has no problem bringing the exact same lunch to work daily - go figure). This used to bother me, and I still don't really understand it, BUT I figure that's why I have a freezer. I just pop a dish in the freezer, wait a week or two, and boom! It's a new dish again.

For stuff that doesn't keep well as leftovers or freeze well -- seafood, salad, etc -- I just try to be diligent about only making what we'll eat in any given meal.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
My husband isn't nuts about leftovers in the sense that he doesn't want to eat the same thing two days in a row or even every other day (however, he has no problem bringing the exact same lunch to work daily - go figure). This used to bother me, and I still don't really understand it, BUT I figure that's why I have a freezer. I just pop a dish in the freezer, wait a week or two, and boom! It's a new dish again.

For stuff that doesn't keep well as leftovers or freeze well -- seafood, salad, etc -- I just try to be diligent about only making what we'll eat in any given meal.
See, this is ridiculous to me. If he has no issue eating the same thing for lunch, demanding that there be no repeats for dinner is obnoxious behavior. It sounds controlling, since he clearly doesn't have an issue with there being lack of variety.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:40 PM

912 posts, read 1,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
See, this is ridiculous to me. If he has no issue eating the same thing for lunch, demanding that there be no repeats for dinner is obnoxious behavior. It sounds controlling, since he clearly doesn't have an issue with there being lack of variety.
Ha! Him? Not controlling in the least, and I don't believe I said anywhere that he demands a new meal each night. He doesn't throw a fit, or stomp his feet, or refuse to eat if I serve leftovers - and will, in fact, eat them with a smile and pleasant conversation. However, I know his preference (because we weirdly had this conversation while we were still dating) is to not eat leftovers two days in a row, and it's no skin off my nose to stick something in a freezer bag for a week or two. When I build up enough of those bags, it means I have a light week of grocery shopping ahead of me.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:40 PM

3,322 posts, read 3,566,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I absolutely cannot understand that kind of mentality. If you liked something the first time, what's wrong with eating it a second time? It makes no sense to me.
I know! It's insane...and worse than that, I had another brother in law, who's now an ex brother in law, who wouldn't even eat from an open cereal box or chip bag!! My mother used to want to kill him when he'd open a new package of chips or cookies or whatever from her pantry when there was already an open container of the exact same product right there! Good thing he's not around any more, somebody would have killed him by now...

Old 04-08-2014, 02:42 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,527,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What do I do? I live with my husband.

He is cut from the same cloth as you. He's a boiler of bones, a maker of stock, the guy who eats the core of the produce that most people throw out and makes a salad of the greens that most people toss. He made pesto from radish tops, once (and it was delicious). I don't have to worry about stuff going to waste, because he is the guy who has ideas for using every part of the pig but the squeal.

One thing I won't do is eat fruit that's well toward spoilage. It doesn't bother him,though. I don't eat much fruit at all, so if fruit does stick around long enough to start to spoil, it's kind of on him for not eating it, nobody thought I was gonna.

We're both big on eating leftovers, though, so those don't usually go to waste unless it's something that wasn't that good the first time around. I lived with a guy who would not TOUCH a leftover. The instant something went into a storage container, it became "gross" and "old" to him. More than a touch of OCD-like behavior. Pain in the butt.
If I have assorted fruit that's past its prime, I cut it up, simmer it with just enough water to cover it, add some lemon juice, honey and vanilla.
Delicious.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:43 PM

15,649 posts, read 8,764,064 times
Chili always tastes best on the third day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink