U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:45 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
Ha! Him? Not controlling in the least, and I don't believe I said anywhere that he demands a new meal each night. He doesn't throw a fit, or stomp his feet, or refuse to eat if I serve leftovers - and will, in fact, eat them with a smile and pleasant conversation. However, I know his preference (because we weirdly had this conversation while we were still dating) is to not eat leftovers two days in a row, and it's no skin off my nose to stick something in a freezer bag for a week or two. When I build up enough of those bags, it means I have a light week of grocery shopping ahead of me.
Okay, cool.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
If I have assorted fruit that's past its prime, I cut it up, simmer it with just enough water to cover it, add some lemon juice, honey and vanilla.
Delicious.
My husband would do this, as well. He's welcome to it. I barely eat fruit in its prime, and I def. don't eat it past its prime. I couldn't do something that sweet, myself, even if the fruit were as fresh as daisies. Too cloying.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 PM

16,934 posts, read 19,672,707 times
We love leftovers in our house too. To avoid waste I just don't buy a ton of food every week. I buy enough for the week but I might buy a little extra meat and freeze it. It's only 2 of us and I can drive to any supermarket within 5 minutes to buy more if needed. If apples are starting to turn I make a pie or cobbler. Bananas I can make banana bread if too over ripe. I have also turned one meal into 2 meals. For example with leftover fried chicken cutlets I have made a casserole with them the next night.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM

15,566 posts, read 8,742,257 times
Apples become applesauce in my house, although I'm the only one who will eat it. That's okay, though. More for me!

Old 04-08-2014, 03:05 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
One way to keep from having "real leftovers" is to make things in batches, eat what you want for that meal and freeze the rest in meal sized portions. This isn't leftovers--it's cook ahead meals. I do this for stews, soups, casseroles. I hate chopping veggies so i get my girls to help me and I saute onions, garlic, celery, mushrooms with ground beef and freeze it in packets for future spaghetti, tacos, sloppy joes, etc. Just the spices or sauce is different. Saves a great deal of time.

Also I freeze celery tops and leaves, etc for stews. Freeze fresh herbs with a bit of olive oil in ice cube trays. Once made some sorry corn muffins which did not rise. Froze them for stuffing and to top casseroles. I buy onions on sale and chop them up and freeze in 1 cup increments.

Don't mean to sound all holier than thou but I have seen starving children. When i went to Vietnam to adopt our two youngest children in 2002 i saw many packs of raggedy kids begging as well as adults going through trash bins. It had a big impact on me and i vowed to not be as materialistic or wasteful. I've been so much better since then.

Of course we don't have to look further than our own communities to see underfed children. During our recent horrible snow storms and no school days I was aware than some kids did not get to eat cause they are used to two meals a day at school.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:16 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,519,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
One way to keep from having "real leftovers" is to make things in batches, eat what you want for that meal and freeze the rest in meal sized portions. This isn't leftovers--it's cook ahead meals. I do this for stews, soups, casseroles. I hate chopping veggies so i get my girls to help me and I saute onions, garlic, celery, mushrooms with ground beef and freeze it in packets for future spaghetti, tacos, sloppy joes, etc. Just the spices or sauce is different. Saves a great deal of time.

Also I freeze celery tops and leaves, etc for stews. Freeze fresh herbs with a bit of olive oil in ice cube trays. Once made some sorry corn muffins which did not rise. Froze them for stuffing and to top casseroles. I buy onions on sale and chop them up and freeze in 1 cup increments.

Don't mean to sound all holier than thou but I have seen starving children. When i went to Vietnam to adopt our two youngest children in 2002 i saw many packs of raggedy kids begging as well as adults going through trash bins. It had a big impact on me and i vowed to not be as materialistic or wasteful. I've been so much better since then.

Of course we don't have to look further than our own communities to see underfed children. During our recent horrible snow storms and no school days I was aware than some kids did not get to eat cause they are used to two meals a day at school.
Most of my family starved to death during Stalin's artificial famine. Throwing food away is absolutely criminal in my book.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Most of my family starved to death during Stalin's artificial famine. Throwing food away is absolutely criminal in my book.
My Irish gg-grandmother, a refugee of the potato famine, apparently felt the same way. She was known to be quite a terror about wastefulness.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,816,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
One reason I will not eat fish. But do eat beef and chicken, but not in huge quantities. One small steak a week between the two of us.

He said in the video that the average family in the US wastes 12 lbs of food a week. I probably just barely buy 12lbs of food for us a week. I think people just buy too much. I know I've done it. Gone mindlessly through the store getting this or that.
Who said in a video? What is the source? I really find it hard to believe that the average family throws that much food away.

Heck, not sure our weekly garbage after recycling weighs that much. In the past two months, I know I've tossed one flour tortilla that was forgotten about, about a cup of milk that went bad before we used it and a half a baked potato.....and you are trying to claim it really should have been 96 pounds of food???

Old 04-08-2014, 03:27 PM

The video linked in the OP is part of a series you can watch on YouTube. His number jive with other figures I've seen, so you would be unusual. One thing I think often gets overlooked is the amount of food waste that gets ground up in the disposal. I'm guilty, but I'm trying to be more conscientious.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:33 PM

5,538 posts, read 4,380,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Who said in a video? What is the source? I really find it hard to believe that the average family throws that much food away.

Heck, not sure our weekly garbage after recycling weighs that much. In the past two months, I know I've tossed one flour tortilla that was forgotten about, about a cup of milk that went bad before we used it and a half a baked potato.....and you are trying to claim it really should have been 96 pounds of food???
The guy in the video on the very first post of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink