U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,645,868 times

Advertisements

Both my parents were young teens during the depression. I learned my frugal way from them. I save rubber bands, wash tin foil to reuse, use mainly cloth napkins and kitchen towels and very little paper products, rinse ketchup bottles out with a bit of water and add it to tomato sauce, freeze ripe bananas for baking, always graste citrus fruit to save for recipes and then squeeze for juice and lots of other silly things. Old habits die hard.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:25 PM

15,640 posts, read 8,758,135 times
I do those things, too, except the ketchup. I don't typically keep ketchup in the house. Citrus zest is great for all sorts of things. I often sprinkle it on broccoli and asparagus for a nice zing. When I remember to do it, I drop a few pieces of orange peel into vinegar to scent it before using it to make homemade window cleaner.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,820,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
The guy in the video on the very first post of this thread.
There isn't even a name for this guy....and anyone can have a youtube video that claims anything they want. There is no source for this statistic.

So does anyone have source, from an actual study, that backs up this claim that the average american family throws out 12 pounds of food a week?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:23 AM

17,165 posts, read 22,182,489 times
when i had a dog,,,i smother anything with gravy and she would eat it,, very little waste..

if some veggies were going bad,,id throw them out in the field to feed the deer.... fatten them up for hunting season...

we werent picky eaters in this house,,so leftovers wasnt so bad,,,,we didnt throw much out.. i loved leftover meats,,,good for breakfast!! and id take it to work to eat..

now, my one family member ,,,who is a very very picky eater, passed those traits to her kids,,, and they throw alot out... its unbelievable,,,, the kids wont even eat leftovers because it might be "bad"
as one person posted- i tried to get her to compost.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:32 AM

5,541 posts, read 4,386,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
There isn't even a name for this guy....and anyone can have a youtube video that claims anything they want. There is no source for this statistic.

So does anyone have source, from an actual study, that backs up this claim that the average american family throws out 12 pounds of food a week?
I agree. I wasn't the original poster. And I don't think stopping food waste here in the US is going to provide for starving people in other countries. Lots of that is due to their own government corruption.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:32 AM

3,877 posts, read 4,576,385 times
A couple of months ago I was cleaning out the fridge and had to throw, for me, an enormous amount of food out. Made me mad that I hadn't used it up. I don't know about 12 pounds, but certainly 3-4 pounds of my hard-earned money in the trash. I've been so much better since then using things up, working with a shopping list, freezing extra servings or half-prepped foods for later, etc. I'll be building a 3-bin compost area for the yard this spring and get more use out of my scraps. I have no problems with leftovers. I generally plan for them, as I take my lunch to work most days. I also have found ways to re-create the leftovers into something different. Meatloaf? chop up and put into spaghetti sauce. Most meats can be juilienned and added to stir fries. Veggies go into stock makings or pot pies, etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:49 AM

15,640 posts, read 8,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post

Sure, I'll spend a few minutes on Google doing something I'm sure you're capable of doing yourself. Why the hell not?

It appears that his information about the average U.S. household could have been calculated from an NDRC study released in 2012. Here's a link...

http://www.nrdc.org/food/files/wasted-food-IP.pdf

The specifics about the rate of food loss for different types of food products are probably from UK studies, since those in the UK appear to be his target audience.

But, really now, is whether or not food waste happens worth an argument? The series had a number of terrific ideas for ensuring that you get the most out of your efforts to provide nourishment for yourself and family, something that takes a lot of time, effort, and money whether you buy your food already prepared or grow it yourself. I'm not sure why any of that is controversial.

Thank you, no kudzu, for finding and posting this series of videos, which provided lots of inspiration to those of us who are looking for ways to reduce our household food waste. Great find!

Last edited by randomparent; 04-09-2014 at 07:37 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 AM

1,270 posts, read 1,252,493 times
Save money and not waste food by buying just enough meat, veggies, fruits for 2-3 meals at a time. .

If you have ever lived in a foreign country you know that basically you shop for the day. . Your food is always fresh.. Non perishables can still be bought in bulk..

It's truly an American thing to buy so much food at once..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:54 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,150,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
My husband.....he loves leftovers and lots of them.
You are truly blessed!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,645,868 times
wasting gas and time by going to the store 2 or 3 times a week is even worse than wasting food. Most of us don't live within walking distance of shopping. I'm trying to spread grocery shopping from once a week to every 10 days. I have to be careful about produce and work my menus around those perishable products. Since I don't buy processed it sometimes means blanching veggies, freezing ro later even if it means only 2 days later. We have extra fridge in the garage full of breads, bagels, dairy etc and we keep it colder than the main fridge in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink