U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-10-2014, 03:14 PM
 
Location: The analog world
15,626 posts, read 8,749,121 times
Reputation: 20936

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
I had no idea that so many people would not eat leftovers. I'm kind of shocked. We purposely go out to eat a lot because the large portions will often serve as two more meals of leftovers, making eating out very cheap on a per person per meal basis.
I'm surprised, too.

 
Old 04-10-2014, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Reputation: 48613
Yeah, I generally make extra food when I cook expressly SO I can have leftovers later in the week. Right now, I'm marinating waaaaaaay more skewers of chicken to be grilled than we will ever eat in one meal, but we'll have grilled chicken to use in other recipes probably through the weekend...and I only have to fire up the grill the once.

I don't get the whole, "leftovers = gross food" thing, but I've seen it in action.
 
Old 04-10-2014, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Earth
56 posts, read 42,822 times
Reputation: 95
Yep, just buy what you need. If you have extras put them in the freezer. Think about all the people who are dying because they don't have anything to eat! Would you like to be in their shoes?
 
Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 PM
 
164 posts, read 151,530 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It confuses and frustrates me to read comments like those from Wadejay and EggWaffle. Do they not consider themselves members of a community--of the world. If we all had such selfish attitudes about waste- either food or energy- no progress would be made to better the lives of everyone.

For example more money could be given to charities or education if we donated money we saved by cutting down on waste. But being able to help feed others simply by giving food to food banks is significant.
I let food like sickeningly sweet cookies/cakes or whatever other people give me go to waste all the time because 1. I simply do not enjoy it enough to spend my calories quota on it and 2. it's not only devoid of nutrition but it's actually harmful to you. How much money would I be saving for donation when I have to pay the price of it in the future in health care cost and indirect costs related to obesity and illness? There are more people in this country dying of overconsumption than of starvation. I think there are a lot better ways to improve the country than to eat those nasty butter cookies that your sister gave you for breakfast so you could save an extra buck for charity by not spending your own money.
 
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Alaska
4,946 posts, read 4,338,350 times
Reputation: 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggWaffle View Post
I let food like sickeningly sweet cookies/cakes or whatever other people give me go to waste all the time because 1. I simply do not enjoy it enough to spend my calories quota on it and 2. it's not only devoid of nutrition but it's actually harmful to you. How much money would I be saving for donation when I have to pay the price of it in the future in health care cost and indirect costs related to obesity and illness? There are more people in this country dying of overconsumption than of starvation. I think there are a lot better ways to improve the country than to eat those nasty butter cookies that your sister gave you for breakfast so you could save an extra buck for charity by not spending your own money.
Why not just tell the person that you won't eat the food (cookies, etc.) and to please give it to someone that will? Explain that it is not a slight on their culinary skills but just that you don't eat many sugared products, etc.
 
Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 PM
 
17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Reputation: 31232
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, I generally make extra food when I cook expressly SO I can have leftovers later in the week. Right now, I'm marinating waaaaaaay more skewers of chicken to be grilled than we will ever eat in one meal, but we'll have grilled chicken to use in other recipes probably through the weekend...and I only have to fire up the grill the once.

I don't get the whole, "leftovers = gross food" thing, but I've seen it in action.
im with tab on this, i overcook alot just to have left-overs....

some folks are fickle,,maybe its the word "left-overs" has a used/2nd time around connotation, maybe we should call it "surplus", "planned ahead food/meals


certain words strike people differently, maybe some folks were so poor growing up they had "left-overs" most of the time, and thats all they had- i know some folks that wont eat some pasta today, because thats what they had when they were poor kids..
 
Old 04-11-2014, 01:44 AM
 
Location: Finland
6,319 posts, read 5,225,827 times
Reputation: 10153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
The poster said they purchased stackable boxes for the fridge. So the meat is in a container on the top shelf.
Even in a sealed container raw meat is supposed to be stored on the bottom shelf, never the top shelf.
 
Old 04-11-2014, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Reputation: 28069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Even in a sealed container raw meat is supposed to be stored on the bottom shelf, never the top shelf.
I'm driven more by temperature than altitude.
 
Old 04-11-2014, 05:42 AM
 
5,539 posts, read 4,384,002 times
Reputation: 10851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Even in a sealed container raw meat is supposed to be stored on the bottom shelf, never the top shelf.
The meat drawer in my fridge is in the middle. Why bottom?

Maybe she wants it at eye level so she can spot it easily and it won't get forgotten and go to waste?
 
Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 AM
 
4,784 posts, read 4,667,418 times
Reputation: 5521
I freeze as much as I can and try to only prepare what I need (since there are only two of us) and keep the rest frozen. Also, my husband is very good about eating leftovers and finishing stuff up like that.

When I buy food, I try to list what I have on my marker board so that it's in my face. And then I try to make meal plans---at least tentatively. I also try to buy less of what doesn't last as long and just try to buy it more frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top