Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Sure, I'll spend a few minutes on Google doing something I'm sure you're capable of doing yourself. Why the hell not?

It appears that his information about the average U.S. household could have been calculated from an NDRC study released in 2012. Here's a link...

http://www.nrdc.org/food/files/wasted-food-IP.pdf

The specifics about the rate of food loss for different types of food products are probably from UK studies, since those in the UK appear to be his target audience.

But, really now, is whether or not food waste happens worth an argument? The series had a number of terrific ideas for ensuring that you get the most out of your efforts to provide nourishment for yourself and family, something that takes a lot of time, effort, and money whether you buy your food already prepared or grow it yourself. I'm not sure why any of that is controversial.

Thank you, no kudzu, for finding and posting this series of videos, which provided lots of inspiration to those of us who are looking for ways to reduce our household food waste. Great find!
Thank you randomparent for doing the research I was just about to do. i think the statistics are right on. Food waste is not just what we don't get around to cooking but what is cooked and get tossed by picky kids, people who don't eat leftovers and what we save in the fridge for too long. Erma Bombeck wrote a hysterical comun years (decades?) ago about checking the little containers of leftovers in her fridge daily to see if she could in good conscience toss them out. I'm guilty of this "When will this finally have something growing on the top so I can toss it?"

Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Statistics are something amazingly flexible:>)

OK - two adult household with company at least twice per week. One carnivore, one cheese mouse. One counter depth fridge with freezer drawers, two under mount fridges (garage/patio), one upright freezer. Biggest ticket item - merlot! I grew up in wine country, water is ok for boiling pasta! Last time eating out - Chinese buffet sometime in 2013.

Some foods need time to develop flavor. Chili, stew, gulash, soup, beans - you name it. It also freezes very well in smaller portions. I rather defrost two containers then one. We eat seasonal vegetables and I freeze/dehydrate what our small garden produces. Spending an hour chopping mushrooms when porcini are 69/package means I do not have to do it when it is 7:00 pm and I am getting ready to cook. We eat little fruit. I have a problem with almost all raw fruit and avocado (which freezes well especially a day after Superbowl when it is 10/1$). Leftovers - one portion for SO as he asks for lunch (small entre, cookie, fruit/pudding, juice, often a second cookie for strap hangers). Otherwise company has never refused doggie bags.

I do not understand all the posts about cleaning out fridge/freezer. I can see what is in the fridge and I know pretty much what is in it. It gets cleaned on a regular basis. I replaced all plastic odds and ends with stackable boxes for the freezer.
Top shelf - raw meat/chicken/fish, 2nd shelf - pre-cooked items like sugo, chili, stock, 3rd shelf - raw veggies, 4th shelf - bread, pasta, pie crusts, milk (thank you CD!), drawer - fresh fruit, door - pesto, hot chilies, herbs. Fridge freezer - nuts, ice cream. Rotate stock!!! Walk in pantry - same system and everything in plastic boxes, cans, bottles.

Waste - very little. Spoilage - very little. I do not have the time to run to the store every other day. Welcome to Texas sized distances:>( Saturday will be fun day - meat, groceries, specialty stores and shoes.

Company tonight - smoked ham, corn bread, black beans, mini pecan pies, paper thin focaccia with garlic/parmesan/red fingerling potatoes and salame. The last meat left the freezer. Leftovers will be dices and frozen in 1/2 cup boxes for fresh breakfast burritos or pasta with veggies/ham (my last resort comfort food). Sliced ham does not have the flavor or the texture.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thank you randomparent for doing the research I was just about to do. i think the statistics are right on. Food waste is not just what we don't get around to cooking but what is cooked and get tossed by picky kids, people who don't eat leftovers and what we save in the fridge for too long. Erma Bombeck wrote a hysterical comun years (decades?) ago about checking the little containers of leftovers in her fridge daily to see if she could in good conscience toss them out. I'm guilty of this "When will this finally have something growing on the top so I can toss it?"
My MIL waits until it blooms:>)

Old 04-09-2014, 10:46 AM

595 posts, read 677,215 times
We're pretty good with leftovers, however, I generally dislike having the same dinner two days in a row. We got a food saver as an x-mas gift and I absolutely love it. Now we barely waste food and save quite a bit of time. Now when I'm cooking, I'll make sure to cook a larger meal than necessary and then vacuum seal the leftovers into single meal portions. It can be a stand alone meal such as beef stew or it can be the component for another meal, such as pot pie filling, empenda filling. If I make a pork shoulder, I'll save pouches of pulled pork than can be used for tacos, enchiladas, sandwiches or whatever. It's great for stocking up when things are on sale. Separate that 3lb package of chicken and we can take out whatever we need without defrosting a giant brick. Zero freezer burn. We have a few containers that can be vacuum sealed for use in the fridge. Cold cuts can last for closer to 2 weeks instead of going bad a few days later. Obviously it was awesome that I got one as a gift and didn't have to purchase it, but in the few months we've used it, it would have certainly paid for itself.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Chili always tastes best on the third day.
Spaghetti one day, chili the next, mix them together the 3rd day and have that the 4th day.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:42 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
I have a food saver also....it consists of ziplock bags and a straw.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:31 PM

I've been using the same Food Saver for about 20 years or maybe even more. I don't know how i lived without it. i also have the containers which use the vacuum feature. I just bought some new rolls of the bags from Amazon which should last me quite some time.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:45 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've been using the same Food Saver for about 20 years or maybe even more. I don't know how i lived without it. i also have the containers which use the vacuum feature. I just bought some new rolls of the bags from Amazon which should last me quite some time.
Do you like the containers? I've looked at them, but never bought any....as I am not sure they'd be that helpful.

Another thing I use it for, to help save packaging waste, is if I use half a bag of frozen veggies (for example) I just use the seal the package without vacuum.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:08 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Statistics are something amazingly flexible:>)

OK - two adult household with company at least twice per week. One carnivore, one cheese mouse. One counter depth fridge with freezer drawers, two under mount fridges (garage/patio), one upright freezer. Biggest ticket item - merlot! I grew up in wine country, water is ok for boiling pasta! Last time eating out - Chinese buffet sometime in 2013.

Some foods need time to develop flavor. Chili, stew, gulash, soup, beans - you name it. It also freezes very well in smaller portions. I rather defrost two containers then one. We eat seasonal vegetables and I freeze/dehydrate what our small garden produces. Spending an hour chopping mushrooms when porcini are 69/package means I do not have to do it when it is 7:00 pm and I am getting ready to cook. We eat little fruit. I have a problem with almost all raw fruit and avocado (which freezes well especially a day after Superbowl when it is 10/1$). Leftovers - one portion for SO as he asks for lunch (small entre, cookie, fruit/pudding, juice, often a second cookie for strap hangers). Otherwise company has never refused doggie bags.

I do not understand all the posts about cleaning out fridge/freezer. I can see what is in the fridge and I know pretty much what is in it. It gets cleaned on a regular basis. I replaced all plastic odds and ends with stackable boxes for the freezer.
Top shelf - raw meat/chicken/fish,2nd shelf - pre-cooked items like sugo, chili, stock, 3rd shelf - raw veggies, 4th shelf - bread, pasta, pie crusts, milk (thank you CD!), drawer - fresh fruit, door - pesto, hot chilies, herbs. Fridge freezer - nuts, ice cream. Rotate stock!!! Walk in pantry - same system and everything in plastic boxes, cans, bottles.

Waste - very little. Spoilage - very little. I do not have the time to run to the store every other day. Welcome to Texas sized distances:>( Saturday will be fun day - meat, groceries, specialty stores and shoes.

Company tonight - smoked ham, corn bread, black beans, mini pecan pies, paper thin focaccia with garlic/parmesan/red fingerling potatoes and salame. The last meat left the freezer. Leftovers will be dices and frozen in 1/2 cup boxes for fresh breakfast burritos or pasta with veggies/ham (my last resort comfort food). Sliced ham does not have the flavor or the texture.
You keep raw meat on the top shelf?!

Old 04-09-2014, 01:16 PM

I use the containers for liquids like soups and stews and some liquid fruit combos. I still haven't figured out how to keep liquids from gumming up the works when I use the bags. I don't like how much space is wasted at the top of the bag when using the vacuum feature. Maybe the new ones aren't so bad. I sometimes add a few inches so I can cut the seal, take out what I want and then reseal again. Especially for blueberries and nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink