U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,729,507 times

Advertisements

We should've seen this coming. Droughts and generally bad weather thinning out beef herds. Price, availability, and demand a basic rule of economics.

Quote:
Come grilling season, expect your sirloin steak to come with a hearty side of sticker shock.
Beef prices have reached all-time highs in the U.S. and aren't expected to come down any time soon.
Extreme weather has thinned the nation's beef cattle herds to levels last seen in 1951, when there were about half as many mouths to feed in America.
And it doesn't appear to be getting any better!

Read more @ Beef prices hit all-time high in U.S. - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
yep, this really isn't news to any of us I don't think. We have watched the price of beef climb like crazy over the past 5 years or more and now, with the past few years of weather problems we know what to expect. Our local grocery store has meat sales 3 times a year. This year, the usual March sale didn't happen. The reason, they couldn't get any decent prices on quality beef. Pork isn't the same luckily.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 AM

3,322 posts, read 3,565,728 times
I wouldn't be so sure, nita. There's a pig virus ravaging herds right now. One guy in Iowa lost 13,000 head in a matter of weeks. US pork production is predicted to be down by 7% this year.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 AM

11,828 posts, read 7,704,170 times
The drought has affected Salmon prices big time. Many parts of California and West where Salmon usually swim upstream are affected by drought. No water = no salmon.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,227,629 times
Still half the price of beef here - you should think yourselves lucky to get it so cheap!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 AM

11,706 posts, read 16,457,103 times
Unless we start keeping livestock I have to buy meat/fish/fowl as my permanent room mate is a carnivore. Compared to beef prices in Europe steak is still cheap. Yes it went up in Texas a dollar a pound since Friday. Time to save elsewhere - I will start with the planned cleaning help.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,156,448 times
I've been buying up steak as I see it on sale or reduced. So far I have enough for at least 10 steak dinners. Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to cop a few more before the grilling season really starts.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 PM

17,164 posts, read 22,182,489 times
the beef market is still strong,,,but end cuts are softening,,,,,which is good,,thats where burger comes from

the middle meats - rib eyes strip steaks, porterhouse and t-bones are still up there....but not to ridiculously prices,,

i did some cutting yield tests on rib eyes and strips today and still under, wayyyy under the box stores that get their steaks in pre-packed not cut on site,,

its still cheaper buying on sale-loss leaders, or buying in bulk,,the whole piece...or from an iga,,,where the butchers are in the store

yeah prices are up,,but you can buy smarter,,buy choice instead of prime,,, still a decent value..

pork is also up,,,the box stores have bnls pork chops at 4.99lb
at a local smaller store,,it is 3.49lb, or you can buy the whole bnls pork loin for 2.99lb

Old 04-09-2014, 03:56 PM

17,164 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

We should've seen this coming. Droughts and generally bad weather thinning out beef herds. Price, availability, and demand a basic rule of economics.

And it doesn't appear to be getting any better!

Read more @ Beef prices hit all-time high in U.S. - latimes.com
still much cheaper to cook it yourself,,,than going to a restaurant,,,

thats a good looking porterhouse steak (the difference between the porterhouse steak and a t-bone steak, is the size of the tenderloin on one side of the bone,,the porterhouse has a larger tenderloin)

Old 04-09-2014, 07:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
I love the butcher shop guys at the supermarket here. They'll tell me which cuts they used to make their ground chuck that day (top round, rump roast, bottom, shoulder, etc), they'll even describe the marbling if they thought it was impressive enough, heh. They've told me previously that they're required to call it 80%, because they don't do the testing there themselves. But they can usually tell if it's closer to 87%, and they always let me know. I like it closer to 80% because it makes the best meatballs and meatloaf and that's what I use it for.

I've noticed an increase in price over the past year, but a little goes a long way in my house. A 1.25 pound package yields enough meatballs for me and hubby to eat dinner, plus he gets at least one leftover lunch, and a meatball sub. Not bad for $5.00 worth of meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or