U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:05 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,393,299 times

Advertisements

I haven't cooked a big Easter meal for a while, but things pointed my way this year. This is what my two daughters and I are fixing for our 18 guests:

Ham
Pork Loin for those with high BP
New Red Potatoes cooked in margarine and herbs
Baked Macaroni and Cheese - grandkid requested
Chicken and Noodles - grandkid requested (noodles are drying now)
Green Bean Casserole
Deviled Eggs
Homemade Bread
Pistachio Salad (made with pistachio pudding, crushed pineapple, cool whip, marshmallows and nuts)
Orange Jello with mandarin oranges - brought by 84 year old aunt
Kosher Dill Pickles, Black Olives, Radishes

Appetizers:
Strawberries, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Grapes with yogurt fruit dip
Cream Cheese with Buddig Beef, garlic and green onions on crackers
Chicken Wings - with Russian Dressing, horseradish, spices rather than buffalo sauce

Desserts:
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Angel Food cake with fresh Strawberries
Peanut Butter Cookies
Pizzelle Cookies - brought by 84 year old aunt
Ice Cream and cones for the kids

Hope everyone has a lovely dinner, with many special family memories generated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,657,871 times
Default What's for Dinner - Easter

Over the years Easter dinner has gone thru some changes in our family - mostly to incorporate other traditions of new entries. The biggest change was from the lamb I grew up with to ham; after that it's been all "add-ons". A roast chicken and/or salmon for the no red meaters.

We are overwhelmed with a bunch of side dishes - they all get eaten but woah - try to cut back and someone says "where's the spinach salad?" "where're the deviled eggs?" lemon meringue pie, coconut cake, carrot cake, asparagus, collards, green beans and on - - and on - - - - - So, trying to ease it back; more of fewer things instead of a spring buffet worthy of some all-you-can-eat place. What are your Easter dinner essentials?

Old 04-18-2014, 02:39 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Lamb. Period.

But now we go to the brunch buffet at the Country Club and let them make it! Along with the roast lamb, we can choose a load of other stuff including filet, ham, asparagus, tons of other sides, too many deserts, and whatever other people want to eat from the breakfast side of the brunch. (Okay, I admit, I'll probably go get some bacon.)

Old 04-18-2014, 02:49 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
Roast lamb, tsatsiki, pastitsio, taramasalata, piroshki, tomato and feta salad, kefalograviera, spanakopita, kourabiedes and a host of other goodies.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:27 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
i may do a buffet- everyone seems to want to come here...

from lobsters, to lamb, to ham, to roast chicken..

ill have to get a head count,,they all ask what they can bring,,,,, i always say - just a smile,, and ice-cream..

they will bring what they like for sides, and appetizers...- last year we had bunny balls - rabbit meatballs that were very good!! I hope we get them again

i have 3 rules for holiday meals..

the most important one is no politics across the dinner table,,,, it erupted into a food fight one year,,not a good example for the kids..

Old 04-19-2014, 06:41 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,801,900 times
Hummus with pita toasts

Rosemary and garlic marinated grilled boneless leg of lamb

Greek salad

Grilled asparagus

Yukon gold potatoes and caramalized fennel with gruyere cream sauce

Triple Coconut pie

Old 04-19-2014, 09:02 PM

51,198 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Hummus with pita toasts

Rosemary and garlic marinated grilled boneless leg of lamb

Greek salad

Grilled asparagus

Yukon gold potatoes and caramalized fennel with gruyere cream sauce

Triple Coconut pie
Don't know what that is exactly but I would definitely eat it!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:10 PM

14,930 posts, read 26,631,362 times
I just snuck a deviled egg off of the plate in the fridge. Yum! My mom always insists on making them but this is the first year in a long time that we won't all be together so I made them.

We're having brown sugar spiral ham (slow cooker), green bean casserole, deviled eggs, corn casserole, green salad, and rolls. That will make for a great Sunday afternoon nap!

Old 04-19-2014, 11:31 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,437,081 times
Love reading all these Easter menus and imagining everyone feasting on these sumptuous spreads! This year we're going to daughter-in-law's sister's house for Easter brunch which we've never done before. The older we get the more complicated the family gets with marriages, in-laws and out-laws and everyone wants a turn at hosting. It's kind of nice not being the chief cook anymore but in ways I miss it! Happy Easter!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:30 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,221,841 times
Decided at the last minute to add roasted asparagus to the menu as they just came into the shops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink