U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,310,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

Superior Touch

That's a ridiculous price to pay for a mass-prepared product that is dead easy to make for about 1/20th of the cost.
I like to add the low sodium chicken base to homemade stock for an even more "chickeny" flavor. It adds a umami note to stock that I like. It doesn't take much--it lasts a long time at our house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 PM

8,142 posts, read 7,463,231 times
I prefer Knorrs.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,814,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
A link in the OP would be helpful.

Superior Touch

Now that I've looked it up: No. That's a ridiculous price to pay for a mass-prepared product that is dead easy to make for about 1/20th of the cost.
And not everyone has the time it takes to make stock. I make it a few times a year....but I only have so much space to freeze it once make and to collect the bones/scraps/veggies to make it. It's nice having a good sub on hand. I can go through stock fast, as I like cooking rice in it, on top of it's other uses.

That being said....I've not use this brand, but I will have to pick some up next time at Costco.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:04 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,806,286 times
Too much MSG - it jazzes the flavor of things. I do like the idea of actually having some real chicken or beef in a base, though ..... even if it doesn't taste better than the usual artificial meat flavor + MSG plus chemical thickeners in bouillon.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,437,401 times
I added it to tomorrow's shopping list. Let's see how it compares to Knorr and Penzey's.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:26 AM

20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
If it contains MSG like the other crap, then it is crap! It's just expensive crap!! LOL!

The better option is to make your own-- by skimming the juices from all of your meats ( save & freeze the fat, bones, and trimmings) to make your own!

Side note:

MSG has recently been linked to ADHD.
It's in so many things!
Not to mention MSG helps grow cancers.
Healthy stuff!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
If it contains MSG like the other crap, then it is crap! It's just expensive crap!! LOL!

The better option is to make your own-- by skimming the juices from all of your meats ( save & freeze the fat, bones, and trimmings) to make your own!

Side note:

MSG has recently been linked to ADHD.
It's in so many things!
Not to mention MSG helps grow cancers.
Healthy stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vsuar47xXA

Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 AM

738 posts, read 769,898 times
I use the vegetable version of BTB, but I usually buy Orrington Farms broth base for chicken and beef flavors.

I generally avoid things with added MSG, but most concentrated 'broth products' will have some MSG in them because of the glutamates that are naturally inherent in any yeast derived compound, an ingredient found in almost every retail brand. So even if your product says it doesn't contain any MSG, it still might...just in lesser amounts.

RVcook

Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 AM

15,562 posts, read 8,734,436 times
I've never tried it. I just plan my weekly menus to ensure that I can make stock in time to use it for soup or stew, but I imagine it could come in handy when time is of the essence.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
I don't have the time or the energy to keep real, homemade stock on hand.

Well, I guess MSG doesn't bother me, or I would have had some sort of reaction by now. I know some people can't have it, can't remember what it does to them.

Wyler's....our local grocery stores and Wal Marts are OUT of Wyler's (my daughter prefers it for cooking her pasta meals in) and have been for a long time (just the chicken, not the beef). At my local store they say they have been re-ordering it for months but never get any. Hope they're not discontinuing it!! (DD is very picky!)

So, we have tried Knorr....she didn't like it at first (the taste, and plus it has GREEN FLECKS in it....horrors!), and still prefers the Wyler's, but she will eat the Knorr, at least, until Wyler's gets straightened out. I tried Food Club, and she tasted of it and absolutely refused to eat it, said it tasted fake.

The BTB lasts a long time for me also, as I just use it mostly to enhance the flavor of the dishes I'm cooking. I added a dollop of the beef to roast gravy, to chili, spaghetti sauce, etc. I add the chicken to my Nanny's potato soup recipe (which I have improved since I learned how to "build flavor"), to the cooking water for the pasta for chicken spaghetti, etc. I keep the lids on tightly and keep it in the coldest spot in the fridge. I've never had to throw any away!

Ok, so I looked the Wyler's and the BTB up on WM.com, did some math, and figured out that the Wyler's costs 8 cents per cup, and the BTB is 9 cents per cup. To me, it's worth it, as it does seem to have a more "real" chicken-y flavor.

I haven't tried the ham flavor (my local stores don't carry it), but the reviews say it's great in beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink