U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 AM

15,876 posts, read 8,829,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Buy what is in season, freeze/can/dry.
Or stock up on bags of frozen berries when they go on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:21 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,228,022 times
Blueberries go for about the same rate as that here in the UK. They are, at least here, one of the most expensive fruits you can buy, so they are going to be above the odds price wise. I do think that most fresh unpackaged fruit and veg is very cheap however, especially compared with packaged or processed food. It is not hard to eat healthily cheaply. I don't have a problem with it anyway, and boy I really am living on a shoestring at the moment, just moved into my first apartment, and can barely pay the rent!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,221,034 times
I sometimes buy organic foods but if i have a $42 budget for food to last me the week then i go for quantity not quality.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:27 AM

35,827 posts, read 39,500,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Or stock up on bags of frozen berries when they go on sale.
Or embrace the reality that costly blueberries are not the only option available in terms of "eating healthily." Buy something cheaper.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 AM

15,876 posts, read 8,829,372 times
I've mentioned this before, but large bags of Wyman's Wild Blueberries are available for about $9.00 at my grocery. With a coupon, a 1/2 cup serving comes out to less than $.50. That's not necessarily cheap compared to bagged apples & oranges, but it's not a budget buster. If he likes blueberries, as I do, it's a much more affordable way to get his daily dose of blue.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,544,005 times
I rarely buy blueberries when they're not in season. Once they go below $4, I'll buy some. And when they're in season, I think they go as low as $1.99, so I'll eat blueberries every day!

Once in a while I'll get frozen blueberries when fresh are expensive/out of season, but they aren't as good.

Things like apples and bananas are always reasonable. They must be easier to store/ship in from other countries.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 AM

13,648 posts, read 11,118,858 times
I agree, they need to drop prices on a lot of the produce. But I'm skeptical if people would even buy it, considering all the other tastier (junk foods) on the market.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:15 AM

7,282 posts, read 8,412,208 times
If organic is worth any price, then why don't we have regulations that require all foods to be organically grown or produced? It can't be that we are incapable of producing enough food, it would just be a matter of the cost.

So much noise is made about the high cost of health care related to bad diets and so on. We can't figure out that if we took those monies and put them into organic food production and made that the standard for any food sold (to the extend possible) that many health problems might not have such an impact on the economy?

As for when most fruits or vegetables are in season or not, that went away some time ago. Somewhere it is in season, what is happening is that the prices are rising as the countries in the opposite hemisphere are finding out supply and demand works for them too.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:53 AM

13,730 posts, read 22,893,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
As for when most fruits or vegetables are in season or not, that went away some time ago. Somewhere it is in season, what is happening is that the prices are rising as the countries in the opposite hemisphere are finding out supply and demand works for them too.

That is not true. There are many produce items that are NOT available for periods in the year.

You MAY be able to get strawberries year around these days. However, few are willing to pay the cost that bringing in strawberries from Chile or New Zealand during the certain weeks between the Florida/ California/Mexico seasons.

Also, the way certain crops are planted and harvested, you can encounter major shortages IN SEASON should the certain growing areas be affected by weather.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:40 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,646,942 times
I don't feel that buying fruits and vegetables is that expensive if you do it right. Sometimes I wonder if people just use that excuse so that they don't feel guilty about not eating healthy?

When I go to the "chain stores," I usually buy large bags or containers of greens (usually Spring Mix or Spinach). The bags and containers are typically $3 to $4. I also buy bags frozen vegetables that are typically under $2.

I also go to a lot of locally owned produce stores (we have several in Chicago). I find great deals at these places. I am typically able to load up my basket full of orange or red bell peppers, tomatoes, an avacado, oranges, kiwis, etc. for under $10. Last week, blackberries were actually on sale for $1.25 so I picked up a carton of those as well. When blueberries and strawberries go on sale, I try to buy those. I also buy a lot of "cheaper" produce like green cabbage and mushrooms to throw into soups, etc.

I'm not saying that produce is necessarily cheap, but food is not cheap in general. Junk food can be just as costly, if not more. I look at healthy eating as an investment. I would rather pay a little more to eat healthy now if it helps to prevent chronic disease down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink